Old 14-02-2010, 08:53 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Dead grass redux

Having read the "dead grass" thread, I'm afraid I'm in for bad news.
Writing from SE Michigan, zone 6. The front lawn has a maple tree -
red maple, I think - at least in the fall the leaves turn red. It
casts a deep shade, but worse is that the ground around it has lots of
thin roots. Needless to say, no grass grows there. I was thinking of
using a slit seeder, thinking that would cut the roots. But, well --
is there any type of grass that will grow there?
--
FUB
Old 14-02-2010, 11:38 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Feb 14, 3:53*pm, wrote:
Having read the "dead grass" thread, I'm afraid I'm in for bad news.
Writing from SE Michigan, zone 6. *The front lawn has a maple tree -
red maple, I think - at least in the fall the leaves turn red. *It
casts a deep shade, but worse is that the ground around it has lots of
thin roots. *Needless to say, no grass grows there. *I was thinking of
using a slit seeder, thinking that would cut the roots. *But, well --
is there any type of grass that will grow there?
--
FUB

Good luck with the grass. Wish I knew a type of grass that would work
for you.
Old 15-02-2010, 01:34 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Feb 14, 3:53*pm, wrote:
Having read the "dead grass" thread, I'm afraid I'm in for bad news.
Writing from SE Michigan, zone 6. *The front lawn has a maple tree -
red maple, I think - at least in the fall the leaves turn red. *It
casts a deep shade, but worse is that the ground around it has lots of
thin roots. *Needless to say, no grass grows there. *I was thinking of
using a slit seeder, thinking that would cut the roots. *But, well --
is there any type of grass that will grow there?
--
FUB

I was reading your discussion and while I don't understand any of this
I bet my grandfather would be interested in this. He loves gardening
and has quite a good track record with it.
Old 15-02-2010, 02:46 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Feb 14, 3:53*pm, wrote:
Having read the "dead grass" thread, I'm afraid I'm in for bad news.
Writing from SE Michigan, zone 6. *The front lawn has a maple tree -
red maple, I think - at least in the fall the leaves turn red. *It
casts a deep shade, but worse is that the ground around it has lots of
thin roots. *Needless to say, no grass grows there. *I was thinking of
using a slit seeder, thinking that would cut the roots. *But, well --
is there any type of grass that will grow there?
--
FUB

Nice post it was very helpful!
Old 15-02-2010, 02:49 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Feb 14, 3:53*pm, wrote:
Having read the "dead grass" thread, I'm afraid I'm in for bad news.
Writing from SE Michigan, zone 6. *The front lawn has a maple tree -
red maple, I think - at least in the fall the leaves turn red. *It
casts a deep shade, but worse is that the ground around it has lots of
thin roots. *Needless to say, no grass grows there. *I was thinking of
using a slit seeder, thinking that would cut the roots. *But, well --
is there any type of grass that will grow there?
--
FUB

Very nice post it was very helpful!

Old 15-02-2010, 04:36 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Tony wrote:

Having read the "dead grass" thread, I'm afraid I'm in for
bad news. (...)

Nice post it was very helpful!

How exactly was it helpful?
Old 15-02-2010, 02:58 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Feb 14, 11:49*pm, Lawn Guy wrote:
wrote:
Having read the "dead grass" thread, I'm afraid I'm in for bad
news. Writing from SE Michigan, zone 6.

I'm in the same zone as you, probably 100 or 150 miles to your east.

The front lawn has a maple tree - red maple, I think - at least
in the fall the leaves turn red. *It casts a deep shade, but worse
is that the ground around it has lots of thin roots. *Needless to
say, no grass grows there. *I was thinking of using a slit seeder,
thinking that would cut the roots. *But, well -- is there any type
of grass that will grow there?

Bingo. Exactly the problem I described in the other post. Some
species of trees, some maples in particular, have these thin, dense
roots that stay close to the surface. The Norway maple is well know
for this problem and is a big planting mistake for areas where you
want to grow grass. The roots are dense enough that a slit seeder
will not cut them, only bounce around and run over the top of them and
NOT penetrate the soil. I have a maple here in my yard and have been
through this experience. I don't know of any grass solution that will
work, because you have a dense root system at the surface that crowds
out any grass and sucks up the water and nutrients.

Put down a layer of good black soil under the tree. *Not the shit they
call compost or peat moss. *1 or 2 inches is all you need. *Mix in some
24-24-24 lawn-starter fertilizer.

If you want instant grass - buy some sod and lay it down. *If you seed,
you want a deep-shade grass seed (Supranova Poa Supina / Supranova
Supina Bluegrass).

Soil and roots WILL NOT BE your problem (unless you have clay soil). *It
will be the shade. *What is the diameter of the tree trunk? *Can you
walk under the tree when it's fully leafed-out in the summer without
hitting your head on leaves or branches?

Go ahead and try that approach. Been there, done that. Bluegrass
may be an even worse choice because it has higher nitrogen
requirements than other grasses. So, to try to make it grow, you'll
be applying fertilizer. Guess what else wants that fertilizer and
other nutrients? Those pesky thin, dense, tree roots from your
Maple. So, they will start extending up into that nice new topsoil
too. And in a year or two, you'll be back where you started.
Old 16-02-2010, 03:46 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Feb 14, 3:53*pm, wrote:
Having read the "dead grass" thread, I'm afraid I'm in for bad news.
Writing from SE Michigan, zone 6. *The front lawn has a maple tree -
red maple, I think - at least in the fall the leaves turn red. *It
casts a deep shade, but worse is that the ground around it has lots of
thin roots. *Needless to say, no grass grows there. *I was thinking of
using a slit seeder, thinking that would cut the roots. *But, well --
is there any type of grass that will grow there?
--
FUB

Your blog was helpful for my class assignment. Thank you.

Old 17-02-2010, 12:38 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Feb 14, 3:53*pm, wrote:
Having read the "dead grass" thread, I'm afraid I'm in for bad news.
Writing from SE Michigan, zone 6. *The front lawn has a maple tree -
red maple, I think - at least in the fall the leaves turn red. *It
casts a deep shade, but worse is that the ground around it has lots of
thin roots. *Needless to say, no grass grows there. *I was thinking of
using a slit seeder, thinking that would cut the roots. *But, well --
is there any type of grass that will grow there?
--
FUB

Good luck with your problem.
Old 17-02-2010, 02:10 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Robert M." wrote:

Having read the "dead grass" thread, I'm afraid I'm in for bad
news.

Your blog was helpful for my class assignment. Thank you.

You're the second fool to post the same comment.

WTF is the deal with that?

What Blog? This is not a blog.

He posted a question - he described a problem. How is that helpful?
Old 17-02-2010, 10:29 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

I don't know very much those issues about maples, but I think the roots
generally develop upwards in asfictics soils where not enough air close
to the roots prevent them to absorb mineral elements (the mineral
absorptions requires chemical energy produced only
if there is enough air close to the roots). In other case the roots go
upwards. This phenomenon is very common in plants growing in town
streets under pavements.

I think if you have enough organic rotting matter on the ground below
the tree, the soil mantain more soft and aired and only thin roots will
emerge over the soil.

Besides you can grow your lawn early before maple leafs are so wide to
prevent light reach the soil.
In my country garden there is an hedge maple and their branches ad leafs
don't prevent clover to grow.
Clover give nitrogenum to the maple and let soil water get out through
stomes, so that soil is not so wet to cause maple suffer air scarcity.

Old 18-02-2010, 02:29 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Lawn Guy said:

wrote:

Bluegrass may be an even worse choice because it has higher
nitrogen requirements than other grasses. So, to try to
make it grow, you'll be applying fertilizer.

He's already trying to grow grass under a tree. Don't you think the
tree will already be depleting the soil anyways?

Anyone who wants a thick, healthly lawn will already be applying
fertilizer. Your argument is a red herring. His problem will a
reduction in sunlight starting in mid-june until fall. You put any
other type of grass there and it will thin out quickly.

Guess what else wants that fertilizer and other nutrients?
Those pesky thin, dense, tree roots from your Maple.

So what's wrong with fertilizing your trees?

Do you think that trees have the same fertilizer requirements as turfgrass?

So, they will start extending up into that nice new topsoil
too. And in a year or two, you'll be back where you started.

Unlikely. I've got several large maples (silver and sugar) and the only
surface roots I see are large and woody and would easily be burried for
years if I covered them with an inch or two of topsoil.

And you'd shorten the trees lifespan, in the process. Those roots are there, at
that depth, for a reason. That's where the water, nutrients, and more
importantly, oxygen is located. If you bury the roots deeper, you'll deprive the
tree for many years of one or more of those things. Please don't profess to know
about trees, their growth habits, and their nutrient requirements. You obviously
have little to no training in the subject.

rest of drivel snipped

--

Eggs

Can I yell MOVIE in a crowded firehouse?

Shade + Large Dog = New Grass Needed Redux. Zoysia? [email protected] Texas 20 06-03-2007 04:00 PM
Plant recommendations redux Mick709 Gardening 2 03-01-2004 05:44 PM
[IBC] "The Spirit of Bonsai design: Combine the Power of Zen and nature" (redux) Jim Lewis Bonsai 35 18-12-2003 01:27 AM
[IBC] vendors redux Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 25-07-2003 04:22 PM
[IBC] Escallonia redux Jim Lewis Bonsai 2 14-05-2003 08:20 PM