Old 03-04-2007, 03:26 AM posted to austin.gardening

Default Bamboo

The dog did you a favor.

On Mon, 02 Apr 2007 21:15:48 -0500, Omelet
wrote:

I tried to establish bamboo here...
I had a small clump going.

My border collie killed it.

Old 03-04-2007, 04:18 AM posted to austin.gardening

"dt" wrote in message
... Good luck. My girlfriend's
house had bamboo supposedly contained by
roofing tin, planted 2' straight down. It came under the tin. We started
trying to get rid of it about twelve years ago; the job's not finished
yet.

Bamboo can be a pain! Some things to consider. Black bamboo varieties will
be easier to manage - *never* water it. Use Total Wipeout or Roundup.
Also, after I mow, I just walk around with the loppers, any rhizomes spotted
get snipped. You have to take care of your grass, and bamboo is a grass
that requires attention also.

Old 03-04-2007, 10:03 AM posted to austin.gardening

wrote:

I tried to establish bamboo here...
I had a small clump going.

My border collie killed it.

The dog did you a favor.

I'm beginning to get that impression. G

Want to wipe out your bamboo?
Adopt a border collie from the animal shelter.
They destroy a lot of them every year because so many people get them as
cute puppies, then have no idea how to handle such a hyperactive dogs.

It's very sad.

http://i15.tinypic.com/2m4zy2r.jpg

:-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 03-04-2007, 01:58 PM posted to austin.gardening

On Tue, 03 Apr 2007 04:03:35 -0500, Omelet
wrote:

I'm beginning to get that impression. G

Want to wipe out your bamboo?
Adopt a border collie from the animal shelter.
They destroy a lot of them every year because so many people get them as
cute puppies, then have no idea how to handle such a hyperactive dogs.

It's very sad.

http://i15.tinypic.com/2m4zy2r.jpg

:-)

NO NO, Border Collies are beautiful animals, but they need a job and
if they don't have one they make their own job. It's usually
destructive behavior and torture for the animal.

We would love to get another dog or two, but we have the parrot now
and she really doesn't like anyone other than us. A dog could do some
real damage to her if she ever tried to dive bomb a dog.

If we ever did get another dog it would be an adopted mutt, certainly
never buy a puppy from any breeder. There are enough shelters full to
the brim.
Old 03-04-2007, 02:22 PM posted to austin.gardening
dt dt is offline

Omelet wrote:
In article ,
dt wrote:

wrote:

On Apr 1, 2:38 pm, WoolyGooly wrote:

On 1 Apr 2007 12:10:56 -0700, "

wrote:

Hi I'm new to this group. We have over a acre of land and I'd like to
plant bamboo along a fence line. Does anyone have bamboo they don't
want or know of a place I can buy it. Any other ideas for screening a
fence line will be appreciated. Thanks Diana

Anything but bamboo, really. The stuff is highly invasive and your
neighbors will hate you. In a couple of years when the stuff is
coming up in places you don't want it you'll be tempted to slit your
own throat...

Hit a good nursery and ask for recommendations. The "new" Home Depot
at Mopac/Braker has at least one actual landscaper/gardener working
the garden area.

The place where I want to cover is a fence facing a road. I don't have
close any neighbors. The closest ones ones are 2 acres away. Something
invasive doesn't matter :-) I've done a little homework about bamboo.
And know about planting it in a trench that been lined with plastic
and filled with dirt.

Good luck. My girlfriend's house had bamboo supposedly contained by
roofing tin, planted 2' straight down. It came under the tin. We
started trying to get rid of it about twelve years ago; the job's not
finished yet.

DT

Not even with Round Up? :-)

I've heard it has a guarantee...

Never touch the stuff. Digging, cutting, digging, cutting....
Fortunately, her neighbor to the rear has joined the fray. He's 20
years younger, and has been digging hers to keep it from spreading back
into his yard.

Six yards' worth of folks, all cussing the guy who planted this stuff
twenty years ago.

DT

Old 03-04-2007, 08:05 PM posted to austin.gardening

wrote:

I'm beginning to get that impression. G

Want to wipe out your bamboo?
Adopt a border collie from the animal shelter.
They destroy a lot of them every year because so many people get them as
cute puppies, then have no idea how to handle such a hyperactive dogs.

It's very sad.

http://i15.tinypic.com/2m4zy2r.jpg

:-)

NO NO, Border Collies are beautiful animals, but they need a job and
if they don't have one they make their own job. It's usually
destructive behavior and torture for the animal.

Jewely seems to do just fine (but I have a VERY large yard for her to
"patrol"). That is her job... Watch dog. She's also a great rat killer.

Better here than a pile of ashes in the critter crematorium. :-(
I got her when her "sentence" was ending. She'd been there 3 months and
was due to be put down at the end of that week.

We would love to get another dog or two, but we have the parrot now
and she really doesn't like anyone other than us. A dog could do some
real damage to her if she ever tried to dive bomb a dog.

Uh, BC's are NOT indoor dogs. Way too active. She gets plenty of
attention but spends the majority of her time outdoors. I have .22
acres, fully fenced.

I have a Goffin's cockatoo but she was WAY too destructive so now lives
in a 4' x 8' x 6' aviary in the sun room. She was also a rescue.

If we ever did get another dog it would be an adopted mutt, certainly
never buy a puppy from any breeder. There are enough shelters full to
the brim.

I think that was my point. :-) I've not had a puppy for a very long
time. I don't have the time or patience for one. Our last 5 dogs (4 of
which we still have) were adopted as adults. Jewels was 8 months old.

SO much easier to deal with and train, and they bond with their new
humans just fine.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 03-04-2007, 11:37 PM posted to austin.gardening

Omelet wrote:
My border collie killed it.

Can I borrow your dog?

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 03-04-2007, 11:39 PM posted to austin.gardening

Omelet wrote:
I think that was my point. :-) I've not had a puppy for a very long
time. I don't have the time or patience for one. Our last 5 dogs (4 of
which we still have) were adopted as adults. Jewels was 8 months old.

SO much easier to deal with and train, and they bond with their new
humans just fine.

If only we could do that with children, I would definitely sign up!

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 04-04-2007, 08:05 AM posted to austin.gardening

In article ,
Victor Martinez wrote:

Omelet wrote:
My border collie killed it.

Can I borrow your dog?

She'll lick you to death. :-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 04-04-2007, 08:06 AM posted to austin.gardening

In article ,
Victor Martinez wrote:

Omelet wrote:
I think that was my point. :-) I've not had a puppy for a very long
time. I don't have the time or patience for one. Our last 5 dogs (4 of
which we still have) were adopted as adults. Jewels was 8 months old.

SO much easier to deal with and train, and they bond with their new
humans just fine.

If only we could do that with children, I would definitely sign up!

You can...
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 04-04-2007, 01:19 PM posted to austin.gardening

Omelet wrote:
You can...

Not with biological offspring.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 04-04-2007, 04:07 PM posted to austin.gardening

In article ,
Victor Martinez wrote:

Omelet wrote:
You can...

Not with biological offspring.

True! G
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Hello fellow bamboo lovers! I have a question about my bamboo patch RiverMan Bamboo 9 27-04-2011 06:42 AM
Dying black bamboo ramyad Bamboo 4 27-04-2009 10:13 PM
Looking for Simon Henderson (formerly of BAMBOO PEOPLE) - Bamboo agroforestry researcher Jo?o Paulo Freire Paglione Bamboo 0 02-11-2003 05:32 PM
Bamboo wanted. Have Black bamboo and "Alphonse Karr" Annabel United Kingdom 2 12-06-2003 03:56 AM
Bamboo root depth and drought - was: Shade tolerant bamboo in south Florida Rick DeBay Bamboo 1 13-03-2003 05:33 PM