Old 01-04-2007, 08:10 PM posted to austin.gardening

Default Bamboo

Hi I'm new to this group. We have over a acre of land and I'd like to
plant bamboo along a fence line. Does anyone have bamboo they don't
want or know of a place I can buy it. Any other ideas for screening a
fence line will be appreciated. Thanks Diana

Old 01-04-2007, 08:38 PM posted to austin.gardening

On 1 Apr 2007 12:10:56 -0700, "
wrote:

Hi I'm new to this group. We have over a acre of land and I'd like to
plant bamboo along a fence line. Does anyone have bamboo they don't
want or know of a place I can buy it. Any other ideas for screening a
fence line will be appreciated. Thanks Diana

Anything but bamboo, really. The stuff is highly invasive and your
neighbors will hate you. In a couple of years when the stuff is
coming up in places you don't want it you'll be tempted to slit your
own throat...

Hit a good nursery and ask for recommendations. The "new" Home Depot
at Mopac/Braker has at least one actual landscaper/gardener working
the garden area.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:55 PM posted to austin.gardening

On Apr 1, 2:38 pm, WoolyGooly wrote:
On 1 Apr 2007 12:10:56 -0700, "

wrote:
Hi I'm new to this group. We have over a acre of land and I'd like to
plant bamboo along a fence line. Does anyone have bamboo they don't
want or know of a place I can buy it. Any other ideas for screening a
fence line will be appreciated. Thanks Diana

Anything but bamboo, really. The stuff is highly invasive and your
neighbors will hate you. In a couple of years when the stuff is
coming up in places you don't want it you'll be tempted to slit your
own throat...

Hit a good nursery and ask for recommendations. The "new" Home Depot
at Mopac/Braker has at least one actual landscaper/gardener working
the garden area.

The place where I want to cover is a fence facing a road. I don't have
close any neighbors. The closest ones ones are 2 acres away. Something
invasive doesn't matter :-) I've done a little homework about bamboo.
And know about planting it in a trench that been lined with plastic
and filled with dirt.

Old 02-04-2007, 12:12 AM posted to austin.gardening

On 1 Apr 2007 12:55:23 -0700, "
wrote:

The place where I want to cover is a fence facing a road. I don't have
close any neighbors. The closest ones ones are 2 acres away. Something
invasive doesn't matter :-) I've done a little homework about bamboo.
And know about planting it in a trench that been lined with plastic
and filled with dirt.

If you do use bamboo, and you can afford it, black bamboo is just
beautiful. There are other very large varieties which are considered
structural bamboo which is used in Asia to actually build houses, and
their floors, instead of wood, are bamboo.

Check with Zilker Gardens to see if they've had their Bamboo Festival
yet. I wouldn't use common yellow bamboo. It gets really ratty
looking, but really be careful, it is much more invasive when it grows
in our USDA Zone 8b, than you may be reading about. That I know of,
none of the clumping bamboo's stay in a clump in our climate, they all
run to one degree or another.

Maybe Victor has some and knows more.
Old 02-04-2007, 02:17 AM posted to austin.gardening

Jangchub wrote:
Maybe Victor has some and knows more.

We had a bunch of black bamboo, but we gave most of it away. The ones we
kept are too small to divide now.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 02-04-2007, 02:55 AM posted to austin.gardening

On Sun, 01 Apr 2007 20:17:49 -0500, Victor Martinez
wrote:

Jangchub wrote:
Maybe Victor has some and knows more.

We had a bunch of black bamboo, but we gave most of it away. The ones we
kept are too small to divide now

How difficult is it to manage? I'd love to plant some, but I am
afraid what will happen.

Victoria.

Old 02-04-2007, 03:46 AM posted to austin.gardening

Jangchub wrote:
How difficult is it to manage? I'd love to plant some, but I am
afraid what will happen.

It can do well on a large container, if you don't want to mess with
digging trenches. Otherwise, I don't think it's any worse than other
types of bamboo. It certainly is prettier!

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 02-04-2007, 04:54 AM posted to austin.gardening

" wrote in message
ps.com...
Hi I'm new to this group. We have over a acre of land and I'd like to
plant bamboo along a fence line. Does anyone have bamboo they don't
want or know of a place I can buy it. Any other ideas for screening a
fence line will be appreciated. Thanks Diana

I'd recommend Phyllostachys nigra (Black Bamboo).

http://www.bamboogardenswa.com/timber.html

Old 02-04-2007, 02:12 PM posted to austin.gardening

On 1 Apr 2007 12:55:23 -0700, "
wrote:

The place where I want to cover is a fence facing a road. I don't have
close any neighbors. The closest ones ones are 2 acres away. Something
invasive doesn't matter :-) I've done a little homework about bamboo.
And know about planting it in a trench that been lined with plastic
and filled with dirt.

Then you know that given enough time it will break out of plastic. It
will also break out of cement-lined trenches given enough time, which
in the case of your standard nasty weedy yellow bamboo is ~5 years.
My in-laws' neighbors trenched 3' deep, installed cement/concrete
retaining walls (not blocks and mortar, poured concrete), then planted
bamboo.

The shit is now all over their yard, my mother's-in-law yard, and the
two nearest neighbors behind the original planting.

Once it gets a roothold there's nearly no way to eradicate it.
Really. Use something else. Preserve your property value.

Old 02-04-2007, 06:03 PM posted to austin.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Good luck. My girlfriend's house had bamboo supposedly contained by
roofing tin, planted 2' straight down. It came under the tin. We
started trying to get rid of it about twelve years ago; the job's not
finished yet.

DT

Not even with Round Up? :-)

I've heard it has a guarantee...
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 02-04-2007, 07:47 PM posted to austin.gardening

Bamboo, in mild winter climate areas are like the Bermuda grass of
tall plants. Bamboo is a grass, I believe and it spreads by very
sturdy culms, at least I think that's what the runners are called.

I love the stuff, but it isn't anywhere in my yard.

I have one rather invasive weed, horsetail, but it is IN the pond with
no access to any soil anywhere and can't jump the pond on the sneak!

I think when people have their mind set, that's it. So, trying to
talk someone out of bamboo is futile.
Old 02-04-2007, 10:22 PM posted to austin.gardening

I was talked out of it. I'm SO glad. I fell in love with the gardens in
Japan when I visited there 20 years ago and have always wanted to replicate
some here but I know that bamboo would be insane to try (except, perhaps for
clumping if I have lots of maintainance time) so I gave up a few years ago.

I have a friend who didn't listen and he's been digging for years. The
neighbors finally moved. I've shown a couple of houses to clients that had
bamboo. Fortunately neither house was attractive to them so I didn't have
to sit them down and explain the curse of the bamboo in the back yard.....

When I need a fix I go to Zilker....
--
ie
ride fast, take chances.

Old 03-04-2007, 03:15 AM posted to austin.gardening

In article ,
Jangchub wrote:

Bamboo, in mild winter climate areas are like the Bermuda grass of
tall plants. Bamboo is a grass, I believe and it spreads by very
sturdy culms, at least I think that's what the runners are called.

I love the stuff, but it isn't anywhere in my yard.

I have one rather invasive weed, horsetail, but it is IN the pond with
no access to any soil anywhere and can't jump the pond on the sneak!

I think when people have their mind set, that's it. So, trying to
talk someone out of bamboo is futile.

I tried to establish bamboo here...
I had a small clump going.

My border collie killed it.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Hello fellow bamboo lovers! I have a question about my bamboo patch RiverMan Bamboo 9 27-04-2011 06:42 AM
Dying black bamboo ramyad Bamboo 4 27-04-2009 10:13 PM
Looking for Simon Henderson (formerly of BAMBOO PEOPLE) - Bamboo agroforestry researcher Jo?o Paulo Freire Paglione Bamboo 0 02-11-2003 05:32 PM
Bamboo wanted. Have Black bamboo and "Alphonse Karr" Annabel United Kingdom 2 12-06-2003 03:56 AM
Bamboo root depth and drought - was: Shade tolerant bamboo in south Florida Rick DeBay Bamboo 1 13-03-2003 05:33 PM