Old 17-06-2007, 01:09 PM posted to austin.gardening

Default Drainage problems.

Good morning everyone,

My honey and I are in the process of looking at houses.
In the learning process of looking one at potential homes, one of the
issues that came up with buying a home is drainage.
We went to see a particular house and it was in good shape , but
noticed that there was a large pond, created by the recent rain.
I have a couple of questions here about that.
1. Where or to whom would a home owner go to about property drainage?
2. How expensive is it to generally rectify such issues?
3. If I get rid of drainage on my property where does the water go?
and if it goes to my neighbors can I be sued ?
I tried looking on line but got a bit confused by the searches I
found.

Thank you for your help.

Old 17-06-2007, 04:55 PM posted to austin.gardening

wrote:
Good morning everyone,

My honey and I are in the process of looking at houses.
In the learning process of looking one at potential homes, one of the
issues that came up with buying a home is drainage.
We went to see a particular house and it was in good shape , but
noticed that there was a large pond, created by the recent rain.
I have a couple of questions here about that.
1. Where or to whom would a home owner go to about property drainage?

The most capable professional to deal with drainage issues is
a civil engineer. These are the guys that design site plans
and deal with drainage issues, design retention ponds, etc.
You may or may not need one, depending upon how large your
drainage issues are, where your potential property is, and how
much runoff you are talking about.

Many times, a landscape architect can solve many problems with
drainage. They are much less expensive than a civil eng. and
may be all you need.

You can do it yourself with a bit of guidance.

2. How expensive is it to generally rectify such issues?

If you have to have a civil eng., then the initial site survey
and plans will be in the $1,000 to $5,000 range and can be
more if you have 50 acres or so. With a city lot, the above
range would be accurate. Actual construction of drainage
devices would depend upon what the engineer designs as a solution.

Landscaping could be much less.

Doing it yourself could be a lot less.

3. If I get rid of drainage on my property where does the water go?

Legally it has to go where it goes now, or to a public
drainage system such as storm drains or street gutters that
lead to storm drains.

and if it goes to my neighbors can I be sued ?

You are not allowed to redirect runoff onto a neighbors
property or any other private property (and in some cases
public property) without express written consent of the
landowner.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Old 18-06-2007, 02:51 AM posted to austin.gardening

wrote:
Good morning everyone,

My honey and I are in the process of looking at houses.
In the learning process of looking one at potential homes, one of the
issues that came up with buying a home is drainage.
We went to see a particular house and it was in good shape , but
noticed that there was a large pond, created by the recent rain.

I have a couple of questions here about that.
1. Where or to whom would a home owner go to about property drainage?

Probably a landscaper is a start for simple problems. For more complex
situations, a civil engineer may be required. Expect more expensive
solutions from an engineer.

2. How expensive is it to generally rectify such issues?

This is a case by case issue. If you and all of your neighbors are at
the same elevation (relatively flat)the solution could be very complex
(expensive). If your ponding area is a low area surrounded by a higher
area which is in turn surrounded by low areas, the solution might be as
simple as a small diversion ditch or swale.

3. If I get rid of drainage on my property where does the water go?
and if it goes to my neighbors can I be sued ?

The water has to go somewhere, probably across the next lot. If you
divert or change natural drainage so that it causes your neighbor to be
impacted somehow, he my well could sue you.

I've noticed that a lot of the older houses in the middle section of
Austin have subsided a bit so that the crawl spaces hold water after a
rain. I've had a few customers ask me what to do about this and I
generally don't have a solution. The sections of the block in question
are often very nearly the same elevation and if the ponding lies lower
than the curb, there's no easy way to channel the water from the property.

--
Gary Brady
Brady Construction Services, Inc.
Old 18-06-2007, 08:48 AM posted to austin.gardening

"Gary Brady" wrote in message
k.net...
wrote:
[...]

why not simply dig a soak hole?

rob

Old 19-06-2007, 01:53 AM posted to austin.gardening

Thank you everyone. You were all most helpful.
I did find a site that talks about making a rain garden. It was very
interesting .
Another was making a dry river bed. Both are things we could do
ourselves.
Fortunately these questions are only "ifs" I hope they won't happen.
Thanks again,
Anita

Old 20-06-2007, 05:22 AM posted to austin.gardening

wrote in message
ups.com...
Good morning everyone,

My honey and I are in the process of looking at houses.
In the learning process of looking one at potential homes, one of the
issues that came up with buying a home is drainage.
We went to see a particular house and it was in good shape , but
noticed that there was a large pond, created by the recent rain.
I have a couple of questions here about that.
1. Where or to whom would a home owner go to about property drainage?

The homeowner.

2. How expensive is it to generally rectify such issues?

Sweat equity.

3. If I get rid of drainage on my property where does the water go?

Downhill.

and if it goes to my neighbors can I be sued ?

Anyone can be sued for anything.

I tried looking on line but got a bit confused by the searches I
found.

Thank you for your help.

Bottom line. Any solution paid for or made by yourself, ultimately, if a
lawsuit occurs, you are responsible.
Dave