Old 13-04-2006, 10:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Wallace

Default Problems with garden drainage

I've a part of my lawn which doesn't drain well. I've tried putting in
drainage holes and filling them with sharp sand, but this doesn't seem to
have helped. It also doesn't get much sun because of the neighbouring
conservatory. As a consequence, it ends up with loads of moss and very
little grass. Strangely this is also the part of the garden that I dug up
after the builders left it in a bit of a state.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to how to improve the drainage? I don't
want any expensive solutions involving digging it up and putting in complex
drainage pipes.

Old 13-04-2006, 11:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris Bacon

Wallace wrote:
Does anyone have a suggestion as to how to improve the drainage? I don't
want any expensive solutions involving digging it up and putting in complex
drainage pipes.

Raise the level. You can do this gradually, by applying a top dressing
(cricket wicket dressing, for instance).
Old 14-04-2006, 03:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
gardenlen

g'day wallace,

you may have to put in some drainage? in some cases just adding more soil on
top of what's there will work.

anyhow i have some ideas on agricultural/french drains on my site you are
welcome to take a look and see just might be the solution?

len

http://www.users.bigpond.com/gardenlen1/
snipped

Old 14-04-2006, 08:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
George.com

"Chris Bacon" wrote in message
Wallace wrote:
Does anyone have a suggestion as to how to improve the drainage? I don't
want any expensive solutions involving digging it up and putting in

complex
drainage pipes.

Raise the level. You can do this gradually, by applying a top dressing
(cricket wicket dressing, for instance).

I was thinking of maybe a slope with the highest point at the wetest end. I
had similar problems with the shade from a garage, a boggy area and moss. I
built the area up and put a slope on it. Not perfect but a lot better. I
can't solve the shade problem however the grass cover is better.

rob

Old 14-04-2006, 09:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

Is there anywhere else for the water to go?

Whenever we had a cloudburst, the pair of houses opposite flooded to above
skirting board level. After the four floodings in sixteen years, I videoed
the problem and made the Council and the Water Board come and see what the
problem was. These two houses were lower than the drainage system which
itself flooded and sent water out from the gullys to add to the problem. The
water could not get away to lower ground because of the crowns of two roads
meeting. Solution? Shut the road for a week, dig down to base and lower the
crown to put a runway in. Problem solved. Now, even when the drains flood in
a cloudburst, the water runs away downhill :-))

Not suggesting you lower the road ;-), but can the water get away? Water
finds its own level.

Mike