Old 20-06-2007, 05:44 AM posted to austin.gardening

Default Oak wilt

Austin TV news station said something like 20,000 live oaks have died due to
recent oak wilt problem. Also, they implied the recent wet weather from the
last few months promoted it. And, also, there is no treatment to eradicate
oak wilt. A local Austin tree arborist was part of that particular news
clip. Video also included visuals of the wilt symptoms on the bark of the
trees.

Saw similar on some of the live oaks near my home inside the yard fenceline
last year. Used a garden hose spray fungicide a couple of times last year,
cut out the dead branches and so forth as well. Used boric acid to drive
away the acrobat ants. Not a sign of the wilt or the ants on the trees this
year. The trees are also getting water from a french drain with diluted
sulfuric acid. Originates from aeration filtration system for hydrogen
sulfide gas for my well water system. Maybe nature fixed it with rain at
this particular location, I don't know. No more wilt.
Dave

Old 20-06-2007, 11:51 PM posted to austin.gardening

On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 04:44:02 GMT, "Dave"
wrote:

[...]

If you had it, you probably didn't cure it. If you don't have it now,
you probably didn't have it.

http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/oakwilt/
http://texasoakwilt.org/
http://www.na.fs.fed.us/spfo/pubs/ho...akwilt/toc.htm

Keith Babberney
ISA Certified Arborist #TX-0236AT
Old 21-06-2007, 07:36 AM posted to austin.gardening

Good info...I've seen some of it before--a few years ago. We had an oak
that faltered but it was not wilt. It dropped some huge limbs and part of
the tree was gone, but when they came out to take it down, they came to the
front door and said part of it was still alive and begged us to let them try
to save it. Well, OF COURSE! They cut it way back and we spiked around it
with a few fertilizer stakes and watered it and it recovered. Wow, what a
relief.

What a devastating and difficult to halt disease oak wilt is. I can not
imagine how much it costs to trench like that. The mind reels....

I remember when Dutch Elm disease took all the trees in our neighborhood
when I was a kid. We had an incredible elm out behind our house. It shaded
the whole house (big 2 story) and the year we took it down we had to get
central A/C. So sad.

--
ie
ride fast, take chances.