Old 29-09-2003, 08:02 AM
Terry Horton

Default Oak wilt resistant(?)

I read conflicting opinions regarding oak wilt and the 'resistant' oak
species recommended for our area, such as chinquapin, bur, monterey
oaks. Basically, these opinions range from 'sickened trees that die
within a few years' to 'not a problem'. Could someone please clarify
what's the latest science regarding oak wilt resistant species?
Old 30-09-2003, 01:32 AM
animaux

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 14:19:35 GMT, (Terry Horton) opined:

Yes but:
http://www.na.fs.fed.us/spfo/pubs/fi...lt/oakwilt.htm
http://www.eiu.edu/~grnhouse/pdf/PG_...macrocarpa.pdf
http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/3000/3306.html
www.ipm.uiuc.edu/diseases/series600/rpd618/

There were many links on the site I gave...I thought.
Old 30-09-2003, 02:35 AM
Terry Horton

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 00:26:23 GMT, animaux
wrote:

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 14:19:35 GMT, (Terry Horton) opined:

Yes but:
http://www.na.fs.fed.us/spfo/pubs/fi...lt/oakwilt.htm
http://www.eiu.edu/~grnhouse/pdf/PG_...macrocarpa.pdf
http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/3000/3306.html
www.ipm.uiuc.edu/diseases/series600/rpd618/

There were many links on the site I gave...I thought.

Yes but... [:-)]. Not trying to say who's right or wrong, only hoping
to ferret out the latest science. From the links I posted:

-"Usually, however, white oaks die slowly."

-"Oaks in the white group (bur, chinquapin, post, swamp white, and
white oak)... ...are more tolerant of the disease and may survive
infection for one or more years while displaying decline symptoms."

-"After two or more years of progressive die-back, infected white oaks
have sparse crowns and eventually die from oak wilt or secondary
causes. Bur oaks are intermediate in susceptibility and may be killed
as quickly as red and black oaks or as slowly as white oaks."

This suggests oak wilt will seriously damage or kill bur, chinkapin
and monterey oak. It isn't the message I get from reading tamu,
austin.tx.us, and local nurseries.

Old 30-09-2003, 03:38 AM
J Kolenovsky

Terry, there is a guy I have come across over the past 5-6 years and he
seems to be into trees being an arborist. His name is John A. Keslick,
JR and his e-mail is .
http://www.chesco.com/~treeman/. He is in PA. but may have some insight
on your inquiry.

Another guy I read from time to time is Keith Babberney,
(Babberney)

A few electrons to these guys might produce data.

J. Kolenovsky =

Terry Horton wrote:
=

I read conflicting opinions regarding oak wilt and the 'resistant' oak
species recommended for our area, such as chinquapin, bur, monterey
oaks. Basically, these opinions range from 'sickened trees that die
within a few years' to 'not a problem'. Could someone please clarify
what's the latest science regarding oak wilt resistant species?

-- =

J. Kolenovsky, A+, Network +, MCP
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden/personal.html - personal

Old 30-09-2003, 06:22 PM
B.Server

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 21:46:19 -0500, J Kolenovsky
wrote:

Terry, there is a guy I have come across over the past 5-6 years and he
seems to be into trees being an arborist. His name is John A. Keslick,
JR and his e-mail is .
http://www.chesco.com/~treeman/. He is in PA. but may have some insight
on your inquiry.

In this case, one must be prepared for a prolonged sermon on the evils
of "wound paint" as well as a quasi-religious adoration of his patron
saint, Prof Shigo. In an amongst these, you may find some wisdom. My
biggest objection is his tendency to speak authoritatively (biblically
might be closer to the tone of his usenet commentary) about regions
and species with which he has limited contact.
Old 01-10-2003, 01:13 AM
J Kolenovsky

Terry is smart enough to ferret the data and s-can the bs. B., your
comments serve well, though.

=

=