Old 12-07-2003, 02:56 AM
SlinkyToy

Default Is this oak wilt?

I've been researching this for several days and my conclusions
are...inconclusive. Some sources say that this yellow vein problem IS a
symptom of oak wilt, others suggest it may be a nutrient deficiency or a
symptom of a different disease. All sources state that I should see leaf
death from the tips toward the stem, which I'm not seeing on my tree or any
of the few other oaks in the neighborhood. So I'm confused, to say the
least. Until I read the sample requirements for the A&M testing service I
was ready to go with that, but to provide adequate material I'd have to send
them the entire tree!

We've got some mechanical damage (every tree in our neighborhood does, we've
got cutter ants or something, even the laurels are pretty tatty), obvious on
the leaf I'm using as my example.

Tree history:

We planted 2, 10-gal southern red oak saplings approximately 6 weeks ago.
The trees came from the same nursery. We heeled them into holes approx 5'
in diameter and 3' deep; each hole was bottom-padded with composted cow
manure and topsoil since we're on caliche less than 6" from the surface. We
added no other fertilizer of any sort. Until last week when the monsoon
season started we've been watering the trees every three days at the rate of
200 gallons each watering. The trees are approx 25' apart.

The northerly tree is doing fine and putting on new growth.

I noticed this yellow vein problem on the southerly tree about two weeks
ago. All leaves on the tree are affected. I have checked the tree daily in
the two weeks since I noticed the problem and have seen little to no new
growth during that time. I do see leaf buds but they are not swelling and
are definitely not opening and leafing out.

I have asked the neighbors on both sides if they have put down weed&feed or
any other lawn chemicals in the past month - negative replies in both cases.
Our lawn spreader is full of spider nests and plenty of cobwebs, indicating
my husband hasn't put anything down either.

Any suggestions as to what this may or may not be will be helpful.

Thanks!

Old 12-07-2003, 02:56 AM
SlinkyToy

Well, how 'bout I givee y'all a leaf to look at. Duh.

http://www.fysh.org/~slinky/oak/oakleaf.jpg

Old 12-07-2003, 02:20 PM
God Bless Texas

Since the Texans scored their last touchdown, SlinkyToy saw fit to
opine:

Well, how 'bout I givee y'all a leaf to look at. Duh.

http://www.fysh.org/~slinky/oak/oakleaf.jpg

IMO no, that's not the wilt. You're just having a hard time getting the
roots to activate.

Hit it with Medina, mixed with your mild nutrient of choice, foliar
spray and in the watering. Let it get a little drier before you water.

We've got about 100 oak trees, about half have the wilt and the rest are
getting it. But, I'm not a biologist, just a guy losing oaks.

--
All Chat no Cattle
Old 12-07-2003, 05:20 PM
Steve Coyle

"SlinkyToy" wrote in message ...
Well, how 'bout I givee y'all a leaf to look at. Duh.

http://www.fysh.org/~slinky/oak/oakleaf.jpg

Check out this picture at:
http://www.fs.fed.us/foresthealth/fh...ts/6_r2_c2.jpg

You can find a ton of pictures to compare by going to google search,
but instead of a web search, clic on image search. Click on advanced
search, and type in 'oak wilt'.
Make sure your safe search is on so you don't accidentally pull up the
mating habits of the natives of Oak Wilt,Ohio.
This will bring up dozens of pics of infected plants.

Oak wilt gets a very distinctive rust color in addition to the yellow
veins, I wouldn't want to try to call it over the net.

I'm wondering if your PH is too high where you planted it , which can
interfere with take up of Iron, or if there is too much phosphate in
the soil.
If you got it six weeks ago, there is the chance that it was
overfertilized at the nursery and you are seeing the results.
Try to get a soil test done, before you let anyone sell you bags of
amendments to dump on the soil. Often you can do more harm than good
trying to make adjustments without knowing what your starting with.

By the way, the image search on plants is fun, did a search on the
David Austin Rose, 'Maryrose' and got not only pictures of the Roses
but the British Royal flagship it was named after.

Take care,
Steve Coyle
Old 12-07-2003, 05:44 PM
SlinkyToy

Undoubtedly we've got high pH - 3-6" of used up cotton field over about 3'
of caliche, then bedrock. The composted manure and topsoil should have
counteracted that to some degree. The soil test is a good idea and
something we'll probably do next week.

"Steve Coyle" wrote in message
om...

Old 14-07-2003, 01:12 AM
Babberney

On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 01:53:36 GMT, "SlinkyToy"
wrote:

Well, how 'bout I givee y'all a leaf to look at. Duh.

http://www.fysh.org/~slinky/oak/oakleaf.jpg

I tend to agree this is not wilt. The yellowing veins is, in fact, a
big indicator, but the characteristics are not quite what I'd expect
to see. Also, red oaks rarely last long once infected. If it had the
fungus, I doubt it would still be alive.

Still, I'm with teh other poster--don't want to call it over the
internet. I agree you should do a google image search (or similar).
Some, but not all, oak wilt sites have a photo of an infected live oak
as well as an infected red oak. Different species will show slightly
different symptoms. You might also try a search on "Quercus * yellow
veins on leaves" or similar; it's surprising how often you can come up
with a pretty definitive diagnosis this way.

good luck,

Keith
For more info about the International Society of Arboriculture, please visit http://www2.champaign.isa-arbor.com/.
For consumer info about tree care, visit http://www2.champaign.isa-arbor.com/.../consumer.html

Do we have oak wilt? Bob Texas 7 29-04-2004 02:04 PM
Oak wilt resistant(?) Terry Horton Texas 16 03-10-2003 07:32 PM
Oak Wilt! Burr Oaks and Alamo Injection? Urgent Help? Lisa Gardening 8 09-08-2003 07:02 PM
Oak Wilt! Burr Oaks and Alamo Injection? Urgent Help? Lisa alt.forestry 0 25-07-2003 06:02 PM
Is there oak wilt in Massachusetts?? Gary M Gardening 2 14-07-2003 11:22 PM