Old 24-04-2003, 02:20 AM
Andyd

Default RFI: Sprinkler for deer problem?

I saw a neat thing at Breed and Co. today and wondered if anyone has
tried it. It is a high pressure sprinkler head with a motion detector
attached (like on many spotlights) that sprays a burst of water at
high pressure whenever it detects motion. The object being to scare
off nocturnal critters away from your plants, and for me that would be
the deer that are ALWAYS around because my #*&$@ neighbors feed the
#&$^* things. Sounded like a very good idea, but before forking out
$90 for one I thought I'd ask if anyone has tried it out.

Thanks.

andyd

acad at lbg-guyton dot com
Old 24-04-2003, 01:56 PM
Marc Stephenson

In article ,
Andyd wrote:
I saw a neat thing at Breed and Co. today and wondered if anyone has
tried it. It is a high pressure sprinkler head with a motion detector
attached (like on many spotlights) that sprays a burst of water at
high pressure whenever it detects motion. The object being to scare
off nocturnal critters away from your plants, and for me that would be
the deer that are ALWAYS around because my #*&$@ neighbors feed the
#&$^* things. Sounded like a very good idea, but before forking out
$90 for one I thought I'd ask if anyone has tried it out.

Thanks.

I looked at several articles on this type of repellent, expecting to find
the results to be "works at first, then they get used to it," but the
reviews that I've seen look favorable.

Make sure that the range isn't so far that wind can affect the spray. It
has to hit them or get really close with enough force that they don't like
it. Make sure that you can adjust it so that people walking by don't set
it off. People seem to want them for cats as much as deer.

One person noted that their neighbor's yard was always wet.

I've seen such products for $70 on-line.
--
Marc Stephenson IBM Server Group - Austin,TX
T/L: 678-3189
Old 24-04-2003, 03:32 PM
Victor M. Martinez

Andyd wrote:
#&$^* things. Sounded like a very good idea, but before forking out
$90 for one I thought I'd ask if anyone has tried it out.

Friends of ours have successfully used one to protect their japanese maple
from deer. We have one that we use to keep our pond safe from herons.

--
Victor M. Martinez

http://www.che.utexas.edu/~martiv

Old 25-04-2003, 07:08 PM
Terry Horton

Wondered if maybe these were kind of a Ronco "Scare-a-Deer" type
product. :-) But I can see we need a couple.