Old 21-10-2003, 03:22 PM
Andyd

Default RFI: Austin Garden Groups/Clubs

How do I find out about different garden groups that I might join?
I'd like to get information about native gardening and would really
like to join a group that has regular newsletters with notices of
events around Austin that are worth attending. Things like sales,
shows, and especially garden tours. I just found out that there was
an "open day" of the Garden Conservancy two weeks ago that included a
house down the street from my house, a garden that I drive by and
check out (and drool) every day. I would have *loved* to be able to
walk through this garden. These happen fairly regularly, I know the
Austin Pond Society has an annual "open house", and I am sure there
are others, and I'd like to figure out how to get advanced warning
that these are coming up. I record CTG every week but more often than
not I don't have time to watch it.

Thanks.

andyd
Old 21-10-2003, 04:22 PM
N. Woolley

There's the Native Plant Society
http://www.npsot.org/Austin/default.htm

or check at the garden center at Zilker Park, I bet they have a list of
clubs. I seem to remember the Men's Garden Club (open to men & women)
that may meet there.

-Nancy

Old 21-10-2003, 09:02 PM
animaux

http://www.bestintexas.com/garden/index.html

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 14:16:45 GMT, Andyd opined:

Old 22-10-2003, 12:02 AM
Victor Martinez

Andyd wrote:
How do I find out about different garden groups that I might join?

Buy the local paper on Saturdays. They have a small gardening page in
the Life and Arts section and they usually list gardening events and
groups. Also listen to the saturday morning gardening shows on KLBJ 590
AM, they also advertise upcoming events sponsored by local groups.

shows, and especially garden tours. I just found out that there was
an "open day" of the Garden Conservancy two weeks ago that included a
house down the street from my house, a garden that I drive by and
check out (and drool) every day. I would have *loved* to be able to
walk through this garden. These happen fairly regularly, I know the

Annually, actually, but the Open Gardens is not going to happen next
year. They're taking a year off.

Austin Pond Society has an annual "open house", and I am sure there

It happens early in the summer, again, only once a year. Those are
really the only two tours that I'm aware of that open private gardens to
the public.

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 22-10-2003, 01:22 AM
Joe Doe

In article , Victor Martinez
wrote:

Annually, actually, but the Open Gardens is not going to happen next
year. They're taking a year off.

Austin Pond Society has an annual "open house", and I am sure there

It happens early in the summer, again, only once a year. Those are
really the only two tours that I'm aware of that open private gardens to
the public.

--
Victor Martinez

The city also has Water-wise garden tours - I believe one was held on Oct
18. I went last year. The gardens were modest in general but the owners
commitment to rain water collection was pretty impressive. I enjoyed
going for the tour because it gave you an insight into how ordinary folks
dealt with their gardens. I wish I had remembered to go this year.

Here is a link to the show.

http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/watercon/falltour03.htm

Also many events are listed on the Central Texas gardener site on PBS:
http://www.klru.org/ctg/events.asp

they have a link to the texas master gardeners events page which fills any
remaining holes

Roland

Old 22-10-2003, 03:32 AM
J Kolenovsky

Nancy Wooley told you about the Austin Native Plant Society,
http://www.npsot.org/Austin/default.htm
and there is one in Georgetown,
http://www.npsot.org/WilliamsonCounty/default.htm.
Great source of information and fellowship.

J. Kolenovsky
VP, NPSOT, Houston

Andyd wrote:
=

[...]