Old 29-04-2003, 12:08 AM
lrs

Default what is this beetle?

I have a beetle going after my oregano and spearmint. It leaves black
spots on the leaves, and now the leaves seem to be drying up and
dying.

The bug is about the size of a ladybug, but thinner. It is mostly black,
with two longitudinal yellow stripes on each wing, and the head is
orange-red.
It seems to have a diamond shaped black patch on its rear end, but
that may be the wings sticking out. It looks like pictures I found of a
striped
cucumber beetle, but the descriptions are a little different. I have
tomatoes, peppers, parsley and lemongrass nearby, but it seems to
be leaving them alone.

What is this pest and how can I get rid of it, preferrably with an organic
method.

Thanks very much,
Leona

Old 29-04-2003, 12:56 PM
chris

Dunno what it is but it's "eating" my Tagetes lucida too.
Neem oil was totally ineffective on them BTW.

Chris

Old 29-04-2003, 03:20 PM
N. Woolley

I get this critter every spring. It does some damage, but then it's gone
by late spring. I've never found any effective control and now I just
accept that it's going to happen and live with it. It doesn't actually
kill any plants, they just look ugly for a while.

-Nancy

Old 29-04-2003, 04:59 PM
dt

Flea beetle, maybe?

http://insects.tamu.edu/images/insec...e/bimg180.html

"lrs" wrote in message
[...]

News==----

Newsgroups

=---

Old 30-04-2003, 12:57 AM
ratSenoL

"lrs" wrote in message ...
[...]

We've had something that sounds similar attacking our basil. Our best
candidate for the culprit is the "four-lined bug," or maybe a relative
of it: http://ppdl.org/dd/id/4-lined_plant_bug.html. All the sites I
found via google recommended treating infested plants with various
pesticides, which we didn't want to use in general, and certainly not
on our kitchen garden. Hubby has instead adopted the "pick and
squish" method of treatment with positive results, and the basil seems
to be bouncing back nicely.

HTH

Red Lily Beetle Trevor United Kingdom 3 05-06-2003 02:44 PM
Small insect/Beetle D_Mozina Australia 1 05-04-2003 06:36 AM
Lily beetle again Pam Moore United Kingdom 4 24-03-2003 09:32 PM
Interesting item on Tulip Trees and japanese beetle control... ncstockguy North Carolina 0 18-02-2003 02:01 AM
Small insect/Beetle D_Mozina Australia 0 06-02-2003 12:47 AM