Old 13-05-2003, 04:08 AM
Terry R. Grier

Default Tomatoes in Austin

I planted one plant on sunday.....

I do not remember what "type" I got... I was hoping for a plain ol good
round matoe...

Do they grow here in Austin? I planted it in a pot.. not the ground...
bugs? bad here?

Old 13-05-2003, 04:20 AM
animaux

On Tue, 13 May 2003 03:13:57 GMT, "Terry R. Grier" wrote:

I planted one plant on sunday.....

I do not remember what "type" I got... I was hoping for a plain ol good
round matoe...

Do they grow here in Austin? I planted it in a pot.. not the ground...
bugs? bad here?

They should have been planted two months ago. It's way too late, unless you got
cherry tomatoes or 'Heatwave' or 'Merced' or any number of heat tolerant
tomatoes. Even those which are tolerant of high nighttime temperatures will not
set fruit once the night temps are above 70. You next best shot at tomatoes
will be in late July for the fall garden.
Old 13-05-2003, 11:08 PM
Wayfarer

Depends on the variety you planted -- there are several that can stand Texas
heat and since you planted in a pot you can always move it to a place where
it gets some shade. If it is an indeterminate and you keep it cared for it
may slow down during the really bad heat but recover and start producing
again when it gets a bit cooler.

Ideally you should start tomatoes here a bit early -- like in February or
March then baby them and protect them from the occasional freeze we will
still have here until April but if you wait until April you have missed a
lot of growing time before the hard months hit.

Last year it got so hot I had tomatoes that seemed to cook on the vine --
but a neighbor's did ok through the heat -- so partly it is variety and
partly if when it gets terribly hot that you can offer the plants some
shade.

My mom lives in Sun City up in Georgetown and has successfully grown
tomatoes every year throughout the summer by having them in pots -- just
have to wait and see! Good luck!

--
Marta
(if you email me directly you need to remove the X )

Old 14-05-2003, 04:56 AM
Terry R. Grier

Thank you for the reply...
This year will be my experiment since I only planted one plant...
If I get to eat .. one fruit from it .. I will feel successful..

I might come back for more advice....

right now it only gets 2 hours on sun a day... 2 -4pm....

om...

Old 14-05-2003, 01:56 PM
animaux

That is not enough sun. Tomatoes like and require full sun. Full sun in Texas
is better supplied as morning sun till about 2, with some dappled shade in the
afternoon.

On Wed, 14 May 2003 04:01:45 GMT, "Terry R. Grier" wrote:

Thank you for the reply...
This year will be my experiment since I only planted one plant...
If I get to eat .. one fruit from it .. I will feel successful..

I might come back for more advice....

right now it only gets 2 hours on sun a day... 2 -4pm....

. com...

Old 18-05-2003, 02:08 AM
G a e X a v i er

Not really, Cliff.

Just on gardening and all things related to gardening. When you get into your
50's and you have been gardening for 30 years or better, and you have had to
deal with just about every garden related topic at least once and often many
times you collect a lot of knowledge along the way.

I think that is why you see Animaux responding and sharing her knowledge on
this newsgroup on a lot of varied topics.

Animaux happens to be very knowledgeable and often very helpful on this group.

Best to You -- Gae

wrote:

Thank you for the reply...
This year will be my experiment since I only planted one plant...
If I get to eat .. one fruit from it .. I will feel successful..

I might come back for more advice....

right now it only gets 2 hours on sun a day... 2 -4pm....

. com...

Old 18-05-2003, 01:32 PM
animaux

Thank you, Gae. He is now in the killfile where he belongs. I didn't think
giving advice where appropriate was a negative thing, or something someone would
use against me. I share my experience. I'm not always right, but I do love
gardening and wildlife, so totally enjoy sharing it.

Victoria

wrote:

Thank you for the reply...
This year will be my experiment since I only planted one plant...
If I get to eat .. one fruit from it .. I will feel successful..

I might come back for more advice....

right now it only gets 2 hours on sun a day... 2 -4pm....

. com...