Old 05-04-2003, 11:10 AM
gary

Default Barton Springs toxic

I think anyone who did this kind of research would want to find, mainly,
people who could produce evidence of swimming regularly -- perhaps daily --
in Barton Springs -- over a long period of time. Then they would want
controls -- people who swam there occasionally and people who had never swam
there.

If the contaminants were taken in by humans, there should be increased
levels of them in the swimmers in proportion to how often they swam at
Barton Springs. Of course, then there would be the questions of whether or
not higher levels actually caused problems and how high they had to be to
cause problems.

You are no doubt right about why the City would never want this to happen.
But I wouldn't be surprised to see some personal injury lawyer or lawyers
advertising for swimmers.

gary
austin

"Joe D" wrote in message
This would seem like a sensible thing to do, but the city will never do it
because the results could then be used as evidence in a class-action
lawsuit.

"Have you ever gone swimming in Barton Springs at any time in the last 20
years? Call this number NOW!"

Joe D

Old 05-04-2003, 11:11 AM
J-InSouthA

For the past five Summers, and especially the last two, my Labrador
Caitlin and I have gone swimming almost every day at the spillway. I
*trusted* the city's tests of the water quality and believed it to be the
safest water around. *******s...........

Honestly, if you and your dog are going swimming in the *SPILLWAY* you have
far bigger concerns. Namely, fecal matter.

Last summer, I conducted a poll, interviewing a day's worth of dogs at the
Barton Springs Spillway.

I found that, after their most recent bowel movement, not a single one of
them had wiped their ass before getting in the water.

Interestingly, my poll also found that many of these dogs shared a common
interest: rolling in each others shit. (Or any animal's shit that they
might happen upon...)

And to make matters worse, not a one of them showers on a regular basis.
Yes, they have shit ALL OVER themselves when they get in the water.

(By they way, some of the more roguish dogs tend to enjoy occassionally
shitting right there in the water, too.)

Anyway, my whole extensive study can be summarized in 2 words: fecal
matter. The spillway is full of it. I had a friend whose dog got giardia
after one visit. (no kidding) Which is astounding, considering that this
dog absolutely loves to drink from the toilet.

Perhaps the bigger "*******s" are those who suggested to you that the
spillway is as safe as the pool. I mean, if you're drinking your water out
of the toilet, does it really matter if your water lines carry Evian or tap
water? As Skinhead O'Connor said, "Fight the real enemy!"

Old 05-04-2003, 11:11 AM
Gloria Donatello

There is always arsenic and atrazine in water.
How many people have died or become sick? Then it can't be "that" toxic.
Settle down and take a breather.

"cat daddy" wrote in message

"animaux" wrote in message
On Sun, 19 Jan 2003 19:36:30 -0600, "cat daddy"

wrote:

I am just sick over this. For the past five Summers, and especially

the
last two, my Labrador Caitlin and I have gone swimming almost every day

at
the spillway. I *trusted* the city's tests of the water quality and

believed
it to be the safest water around. *******s...........

Yeah, well, they closed the pool, but they are still insisting this is

nothing
to be twisted about. Ya know why? Because they lose and stand to lose

lot of
revenue from this. People come from all over the world to Austin to

swim
in
Barton Springs Pool. They still somehow feel that, even though higher

levels of
toxins were found in and near spillways into the Spring, sometimes as

high
and
higher than toxic waste dumps...hmmmm, money, money, money,

money.....MONEY.

Or, politics, damage control, and liability. Toby looked a little over
defensive in the press conference. If it turns out not to be a 100+ year

old
problem, the current and recent parties to blame will have bought time to
bail out of the responsibility....

Old 05-04-2003, 11:11 AM
Babberney

On Wed, 19 Feb 2003 14:38:54 GMT, animaux
wrote:

I don't want ANY toxic matter going into my body. Any amount is dangerous and
can cause cancers. You can settle down and take a breather, I prefer to be
diligent.

Good luck with that . . . what sort of breathing apparatus are you
using, BTW?

For more info about the International Society of Arboriculture, please visit http://www2.champaign.isa-arbor.com/.
For consumer info about tree care, visit http://www2.champaign.isa-arbor.com/.../consumer.html
Old 05-04-2003, 11:11 AM
gary

IMHO, that overly-defensive attitude that "any amount is dangerous and can
cause cancers" is as liable to make one MORE susceptible to cancers as it is
to prevent any. All pain and disease is a mysterious combination of body
AND mind. It does not pay to give the omni-present "toxic matter" any more
power than it might have had without our help.
gary

news:0DA3910A7AF3F659.21A247A764BC420B.65379BAC8E9 ...
wrote:

I don't want ANY toxic matter going into my body. Any amount is

dangerous and
can cause cancers. You can settle down and take a breather, I prefer to

be
diligent.

Good luck with that . . . what sort of breathing apparatus are you
using, BTW?

For more info about the International Society of Arboriculture, please

visit http://www2.champaign.isa-arbor.com/.
For consumer info about tree care, visit

http://www2.champaign.isa-arbor.com/.../consumer.html

Barton Village Day [email protected] United Kingdom 0 05-07-2004 06:03 PM
The Barton Rose karen davies Gardening 0 16-10-2003 12:42 PM
The Barton Rose karen davies Roses 0 15-10-2003 07:02 PM
Ox-Blood Lilies at Barton Creek Nursery Aisha Texas 1 25-09-2003 02:03 AM
Barton Village Day - Open Flower Show [email protected] United Kingdom 1 20-06-2003 10:08 AM