Old 31-05-2003, 04:20 PM
Vanis

Default Zucchini is dying

Hi,

More and more stem/leafs have turned yellow, then brown. Initially I thought
the plant was over-watered (because of all the wild mushrooms sprouting). I
cut away all the dead "branches" to expose more soil, but low and behold,
the process continues. To make matters worse, 4 maturing zucchinis began to
die, much like the leaves did.

One thing I've noticed lately is, there is a single entry point in each
"branch", like something chewed its way in. I haven't been able to find
anything in the stems, but I'm probably two steps behind. I also noticed a
lot of round, brown, hard shells on the undersides of healthy leaves. They
resemble dark toasted sesame seeds, except they're round.

I don't think it's vine borer, because of the discoloration, and the entire
plant hasn't been infected. Haven't spotted any striped or spotted cucumber
beetles either.

The area was infected with ants a few weeks ago. My father in-law suggested
that it may be the ants eating up the roots. However the entry point in each
infected stem makes me think otherwise.

Any ideas?

Old 31-05-2003, 07:08 PM
M. Tiefert

In article , "Vanis" wrote:
Hi,

...One thing I've noticed lately is, there is a single entry point in each
"branch", like something chewed its way in. I haven't been able to find
anything in the stems, but I'm probably two steps behind.

Probably _something_ is in there. You could try slicing (parallel to the
stem) with a clean sharp knife. If you can find an remove whatever
(grub?) is in there, you _might_ be able to tape the whole wound shut
and save the plant. Or maybe not.

I also noticed a
lot of round, brown, hard shells on the undersides of healthy leaves. They
resemble dark toasted sesame seeds, except they're round.

Without a picture, it's hard to tell - but some kind of eggs, or perhaps
scale insects.

regards,

Marj

* * *
Marj Tiefert: http://www.mindspring.com/~mtiefert/
Marj's Mini Mall: http://stores.tiefert.com/
Coleridge shop: http://www.cafeshops.com/coleridgestore
Marjorie's Morning Star: http://newsletter.tiefert.com/
science editing services: http://science.tiefert.com/
Old 01-06-2003, 04:32 AM
Libralove

in article , Vanis at
wrote on 5/31/03 10:20 AM:

[...]

It is simply the ever present in home zucchini gardens, Squash Borer. It
burrows into your stem and lays eggs. The squash plant wilts and dies. Not
much you can do except plants lots of plants or put some tape or cloth
protection around the stems to prevent the borer from getting in. Some
people inject BT in the stem to kill the developing larvae, but it is pretty
much hopeless and way too much work for the couple of zucchini you will get.

Old 01-06-2003, 06:56 PM
Vanis

It was indeed the borer. A lesson learned. I haven't given up entirely on
planting zucchini. At the very least I'll have more room for other plants
now. Speaking of which, now that I've removed the plant, and destroyed it,
can I plant/transplant other veggies in that spot? Do I need to turn the
soil over first?

Thanks,

zucchini dying PatK Gardening 9 19-07-2005 12:29 PM
Zucchini dying templar Edible Gardening 2 03-08-2003 01:32 AM
Can someone ID this insect found on my Zucchini? - zucchini pest.jpg Tracey Gardening 1 22-07-2003 06:32 PM
Can someone ID this insect found on my Zucchini? - zucchini pest.jpg (1/1) Some One Gardening 5 22-07-2003 03:42 PM
Is my lewisia dying back or actually dying! Lynda Thornton United Kingdom 2 23-10-2002 06:36 PM