Old 18-06-2003, 03:08 AM
br

Default Peach Tree & Crepe Murtle Questions

I planted a Red Globe peach tree about 2-3 months ago, and the tree
has always looked a little sick
http://www.geocities.com/rbalach/Garden02.jpg
I'm not sure what the tree is supposed to look like, i water it
regularly and gave it some miracle grow but it just doesn't seem to be
perking up. Here are some close ups of some of the leaves:
http://www.geocities.com/rbalach/Garden01.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/rbalach/Garden04.jpg
Also the tree has this at the bottom of the main trunk. It seems to be
oozing some kind of liquid. Not sure what it is / if it is a problem.
http://www.geocities.com/rbalach/Garden03.jpg
Found this bug in the tree, dunno what it is, if it is a problem.
http://www.geocities.com/rbalach/Garden05.jpg
Any ideas on what might be wrong ?

I also planted a Crepe Murtle about a month ago and it seems to be
catching on but the leaves have got a lot of holes in them.
http://www.geocities.com/rbalach/Garden09.jpg
Also i found these bugs on the plant, quite a few of them actually.
Not sure if they are whats causing the holes in the leaves. If so any
idea how to stop them ?
http://www.geocities.com/rbalach/Garden06.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/rbalach/Garden07.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/rbalach/Garden08.jpg

Thanks in advance for all the help.
Old 18-06-2003, 04:20 AM
Victor M. Martinez

br wrote:
I planted a Red Globe peach tree about 2-3 months ago, and the tree
has always looked a little sick

You planted it too late.

http://www.geocities.com/rbalach/Garden02.jpg
I'm not sure what the tree is supposed to look like, i water it

It doesn't look too bad.

regularly and gave it some miracle grow but it just doesn't seem to be

How often do you water? Water deeply every 4 to 5 days, no more. The
easiest way to kill a new tree is to overwater it.

Also the tree has this at the bottom of the main trunk. It seems to be
oozing some kind of liquid. Not sure what it is / if it is a problem.
http://www.geocities.com/rbalach/Garden03.jpg

Doesn't look too bad.

Found this bug in the tree, dunno what it is, if it is a problem.
http://www.geocities.com/rbalach/Garden05.jpg

Bug is ok.

I also planted a Crepe Murtle about a month ago and it seems to be

Way too late for planting trees, the tree is under a lot of stress right
now.

--
Victor M. Martinez

http://www.che.utexas.edu/~martiv

Old 18-06-2003, 02:56 PM
animaux

On 17 Jun 2003 18:58:58 -0700, (br) wrote:

I planted a Red Globe peach tree about 2-3 months ago, and the tree
has always looked a little sick
http://www.geocities.com/rbalach/Garden02.jpg
I'm not sure what the tree is supposed to look like, i water it
regularly and gave it some miracle grow but it just doesn't seem to be
perking up. Here are some close ups of some of the leaves:
http://www.geocities.com/rbalach/Garden01.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/rbalach/Garden04.jpg

The tree looks fine. Mine is healthy and the foliage hangs there looking sort
of limp, but that is the habit. Miracle Gro is a synthetic chemical product with
high salt content and I would never use it on anything. If you go buy some
seaweed in a liquid form, and compost to put around the tree at the drip line,
then mulch it with a nice hardwood mulch (cedar is best IMO) not pine bark or
cypress, rough the soil up a bit so you add some air to it, you should see an
improvement. You have to prune peach trees. If you live in the south, you need
varieties which require short chill periods. Mine has a 400 hour chill period,
which means it needs at least 400 hours with temperatures under 45 degrees.
Doesn't have to be 400 hours in a row, but within the winter months it has to
add up to that.

Also the tree has this at the bottom of the main trunk. It seems to be
oozing some kind of liquid. Not sure what it is / if it is a problem.
http://www.geocities.com/rbalach/Garden03.jpg

It looks like an injury which is healing over. Our peach tree sometimes exudes
a clear jelly-like substance and it's very healthy and full of peaches.

Found this bug in the tree, dunno what it is, if it is a problem.
http://www.geocities.com/rbalach/Garden05.jpg
Any ideas on what might be wrong ?

Eight legs, it looks like a spider. They are meat eaters. Not a problem.

I also planted a Crepe Murtle about a month ago and it seems to be
catching on but the leaves have got a lot of holes in them.
http://www.geocities.com/rbalach/Garden09.jpg

Could be Japanese beetles or flea beetles. Aphids also feed on crape myrtles,
but you would see those clearly on the stems.

Also i found these bugs on the plant, quite a few of them actually.
Not sure if they are whats causing the holes in the leaves. If so any
idea how to stop them ?
http://www.geocities.com/rbalach/Garden06.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/rbalach/Garden07.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/rbalach/Garden08.jpg

Thanks in advance for all the help.

This insect runs to the other side, right? As soon as you approach it, it goes
around. I am trying to remember what it is called...damn. You can kill them
with Sunspray Horticultural Oil, sold at most garden centers. Do not use
Dormant Oil as that should only be used when trees are, dormant!

If you do a search on how to maintain a healthy crape myrtle using organic
fertilizer, compost, aeration and mulch, you will find a greatly reduced problem
with insect or disease problems. I never prune our crape's and they are 12 feet
tall and wide. The ones I have are not dwarf and will grow to 25 feet if left
alone. I only fertilize, mulch and add compost each year. I also use foliar
feeding and now added aerobic compost tea to the foliar process.

For more information on aerobic compost tea, www.soilfoodweb.com

For more information on fertilization and foliar feeding, www.dirtdoctor.com
Old 20-06-2003, 12:32 AM
Roger\X\

Okay. . . I have peach trees--lots of them.

You have two problems, one can be fatal to the tree over a period of
time.

Your tree has a mild caseof "Peach Tree Leaf Curl" (you can find
treatment on line for this problem). It is fungi and can only be
treated after the tree is dormet.

The other problem is the "oozing" jelly like substance. Your tree has
been attacked by a "Peachtree Bore", There are two types--one lays
it's eggs at the base of the tree and the larva bores into the base of
the tree( this is called the Peachtree Bore). Another type bore lays
its eggs in the fork of a limb and the larva attacks further up on the
tree (this is called a "Lesser Peach Tree Bore"). Proper spraying
between May and July can controle both of these.

PROBLEM AT HAND: Sometimes you can take a small piece of wire
and run into the hole where the jell is ozing out and "harpoon" the
larva. I have had some success with Diazinon on a "Q"tip.

Old 20-06-2003, 10:32 PM
Thomas Neumayr

Way too late for planting trees, the tree is under a lot of stress right
now.

Just bought a Chinese Tallow tree that is about 5 feet tall. Since it's too
late to plant trees should I keep it in the pot until the fall?
Cindi

Old 20-06-2003, 11:20 PM
Victor M. Martinez

Thomas Neumayr wrote:
Just bought a Chinese Tallow tree that is about 5 feet tall. Since it's too
late to plant trees should I keep it in the pot until the fall?

You could plant it, but you'll have to do a lot of regular watering to keep
it alive.

Old 21-06-2003, 01:45 PM
John T. Jarrett

Don't mean to offend, but Chinese Tallow is an invasive species of tree in
Texas that is destroying wetlands and bird areas.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/nature/b...ws/resrch2.htm talks
about how in Galveston County alone, Tallow woodlands have gone from 5 to
30,000 acres since 1970.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/hunt/res...997/tallow.htm
talks about how hard it is to kill, and this:

"The tree is a rapid invader of moist soils and will out-compete native
species. Chinese tallow is expanding its range in low-lying areas along the
Gulf Coast, where it can dominate and radiate along roadside ditches and
into former rice fields and other areas where the soil stays wet. The rapid
forestation of Chinese tallow has contributed significantly to the
degradation of wetlands along the Gulf Coast. The plant also produces
tannins which inhibit the feeding of isopod and amphipod invertebrates of
aquatic systems (Cameron and LaPoint 1978). Wildlife utilization of these
areas is greatly reduced from a historical perspective since the lands
originally were predominantly seasonal wetlands and Coastal Prairies."

Admitted there are few wetlands here, but I have seen stands along the edge
of Lake Travis where it pops up like weeds, grows 8 feet tall FAST, and
kills off all the natives.

They create tons of seed pods and those seed pods float. So even though you
aren't planting it in a wetland in your yard, those seeds will wash into
whichever one is closest to your house. And, of course during a flood, can
wash down closer to the coast where the land does stay wet.

I used to work in and build wetlands in Houston ten years ago and it was a
baaaaaad problem then...

My suggestion is to take it back and get something else. Course that should
tell you that they want a LOT of water which most yards around here don't
have.

My $0.02...I'll get off the soap box now.

John T. Jarrett

Old 21-06-2003, 04:08 PM
God Bless Texas

Concur, the best thing to do with Chinese Tallow Tree is not plant it, or if
already planted cut it down.

Of course, since the roots and trunk are so weak, you can just wait for a
fairly strong storm to do the job for you.

Old 22-06-2003, 02:08 AM
animaux

On Fri, 20 Jun 2003 21:26:29 GMT, "Thomas Neumayr" wrote:

Way too late for planting trees, the tree is under a lot of stress right
now.

Just bought a Chinese Tallow tree that is about 5 feet tall. Since it's too
late to plant trees should I keep it in the pot until the fall?
Cindi

You should return it because it is an invasive introduced species and is taking
up valuable space in the natural landscape. It is completely irresponsible for
these stores to sell this tree. While it is a pretty tree, it is not a good
idea to plant one.