Old 30-06-2003, 10:33 AM
bobwhite

Default Propagating Rose of Sharon

We have four nice Rose of Sharon plants in full bloom. I want to propagate
two new plants from each of the different bushes.

Have never had any luck taking cuttings off anything. I really not sure
how to do it.
Questions:

When is the right time to take cuttings?

How far down from the tip should the cutting be?

Do you pull off the lower leaves?

Do you put the cuttings in potting soil and keep them wet, or put them in
water only?

Should the be kept in the sun, in the shade, or indoors where it is cool?

Thanks for any info' and help. Bob

Old 30-06-2003, 10:44 AM
Robbin

Here is a pretty good PDF on rooting. Althea (Rose of Sharon) can be rooted
with either softwood or hardwood cuttings. Softwood can be done now,
hardwood in the early winter. For softwood, you use the growing tip, for
hardwood, farther down the stem. Yes, you take off the lower leaves. I've
always had the best luck using vermiculite or perlite for rooting. Keep
moist, but not standing in water (will tend to rot). Make a mini-greenhouse
or use an old aquarium and cover with plastic wrap. This time of year, I
would probably try either in full shade outside or under florescent lights
inside the house. If you don't have luck now, try again later with hardwood
cuttings. Don't forget to use a rooting powder like rootone. Don't just do
two cuttings from each, I would do 6 - 12. You will loose some, and if you
have good luck you can always give the extras away to friends and neighbors!

http://muextension.missouri.edu/expl...ort/g06970.pdf

Old 30-06-2003, 01:57 PM
Texensis

"bobwhite" wrote in message
| We have four nice Rose of Sharon plants in full bloom. I want to
propagate
| two new plants from each of the different bushes.
|
| Have never had any luck taking cuttings off anything. I really not
sure
| how to do it.
| Questions:
|
| When is the right time to take cuttings?
|
| How far down from the tip should the cutting be?
|
| Do you pull off the lower leaves?
|
| Do you put the cuttings in potting soil and keep them wet, or put
them in
| water only?
|
| Should the be kept in the sun, in the shade, or indoors where it is
cool?

| Thanks for any info' and help. Bob

These also throw seeds that run true to the variety. They produce
plants that don't take all that long to come into bloom.

propagating Rose of Sharon Neil Gardening 6 02-06-2003 11:56 AM
[IBC] ??Rose of Sharon (Hibiscus) good for bonsai??? Bob Bugay Bonsai 3 10-05-2003 04:08 AM
Pruning Rose of Sharon? Natty_Dread Gardening 4 15-04-2003 02:20 AM
Rose of Sharon hugh mcmanus Roses 1 13-04-2003 03:32 AM
Double Rose of Sharon (peach or apricot) Purchgdss Gardening 2 31-03-2003 12:08 AM