Old 05-08-2003, 05:12 AM
beans and franks

Default Stop Wal-Mart From Building over the Aquifer!

I love Wal-Mart!

"animaux" wrote in message
I'm not necessarily against the building of Walmart stores, but does there
really need to be one every few miles in every direction?

On Mon, 04 Aug 2003 04:12:39 GMT, "Molly Fredericks"

wrote:

Some people will always oppose commercial development, and then make up

the
reasons/excuses to fit the scenario.
Be wary.

"gologa" wrote in message
news
Doug,
Did you bother to read the information about this particular

supercenter
before you began hurling accusations of hypocracy???? Think about our
quality of life here and whether you want this whole area to become

like
Houston/Dallas/Atlanta.

"Sited at the corner of Slaughter and MoPac, the SuperCenter could

exceed
impervious cover levels by three times the amount allowed by the Save

Our
Springs Ordinance. Company principals have admitted that the water

quality
controls they've proposed on the property may be inadequate to manage
pollutants. The property is surrounded by pristene hill country land

and
the
property itself drains directly into the Barton Creek system, dyetraced

less than one hour runoff time. There are NO other retail sites in this

area
and the back alley of this supercenter would literally sit next to the
backyards of about 50 homes. They will use grandfathered land, exempt

from
SOS laws to build this crap on, which allows up to 65% impervious cover
(concrete/parking lot). And they will destroy/clear over 40 acres of

live
oaks. Not to mention that there are rare caves on the land like those

that
would be paved over if they build Tx highway 45.

The tract of land is located between Davis and Slaughter Lanes with no
traffic access from MoPac. In addition to Wal-Mart, which will be open

24
hours, and accepting 18 wheeler deliveries all night. Endeavor is

promoting
the "tremendous growth" in environmentally sensitive Southwest Austin

over
the past decade as a lure to sell the pad sites. Council Member Slusher
regards promoting the Wal-Mart tract as "a conscious decision on

Endeavor's
part to profit from polluting."

The neighbors surrounding the proposed development are concerned about

the
increased traffic, noise pollution, light pollution, and water

pollution.
Because the only access to the development will be from Slaughter and

Davis
Lanes, all traffic destined for the shopping center will flow Through

the
Neighborhoods. There is already a Wal-Mart less than 4 miles away, and

many
worry that it will close once the new store is built, leaving yet

another
empty big-box retail builing.
Most of ALL, we dont Want IT, Nor do we need it, we have four

supermarkets,
one walmart, one target all within 3 miles of the site. They

demographics
of
the area do not support it as well.
Peace.
gologa

"Doug McLaren" wrote in message
. ..
In article ,
gologa wrote:

| No word on whether they will back off, probably not since even in

CA
where
| some towns have banned the Supercenters, Wal Mart's lawyers fight

it
with
| lawsuits and ballot box referendums to build anyway! in Spite of

large
| opposition.

Personally, I'm looking forward to having a Super Wal-mart there.

As for building it over the aquifer, the aquifer is huge! If you
weren't aware of this --

http://www.edwardsaquifer.net/images/edwards.gif

even the `recharge zone' makes up a large part of central Texas. To
not allow Wal-Mart to build there just because of the aquifer seems a
bit silly, especially since it seems that everybody else is allowed

build there (as long as they follow certain rules.)

And it seems that most of the people complaining have already built
there -- they built their houses there. Sounds hypocritical to me

Seems to me that it's just another example of NIMBY -- `not in my

back
yard.' Or maybe they don't *really* mind that much, but since they
might be able to make Wal-Mart compensate them somehow, they're going
to push for that.

--
Doug McLaren,
"Just once, I'd like someone to call me 'Sir' without adding 'you're

Old 05-08-2003, 01:42 PM
animaux

I love my Walmart stock. I love that people can buy goods at a very affordable
price, but again I ask, do we really need one every few miles in any direction?
In this particular instance, do we need one over the aquifer?

On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 04:02:46 GMT, "beans and franks"
wrote:

I love Wal-Mart!

.. .

Old 05-08-2003, 06:02 PM
Terry Horton

On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 12:40:52 GMT, animaux wrote:

I love my Walmart stock. I love that people can buy goods at a very affordable
price, but again I ask, do we really need one every few miles in any direction?
In this particular instance, do we need one over the aquifer?

Plus their garden center is the lamest.

On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 04:02:46 GMT, "beans and franks"
wrote:

I love Wal-Mart!

. ..

Old 07-08-2003, 05:32 PM
Doug McLaren

In article ,
animaux wrote:

| I love my Walmart stock. I love that people can buy goods at a very
| affordable price, but again I ask, do we really need one every few
| miles in any direction? In this particular instance, do we need one
| over the aquifer?

This has been brought up before -- the aquifer is huge, many hundreds
of square miles. People in Circle C need Wal Marts too!

--
Doug McLaren,
Lisa: "Only one person in a million would find that funny!"
Old 07-08-2003, 06:02 PM
DT

Doug McLaren wrote:

In article ,
animaux wrote:

| I love my Walmart stock. I love that people can buy goods at a very
| affordable price, but again I ask, do we really need one every few
| miles in any direction? In this particular instance, do we need one
| over the aquifer?

This has been brought up before -- the aquifer is huge, many hundreds
of square miles. People in Circle C need Wal Marts too!

Most of 'em don't seem to think they do. They'd rather drive than have
one in the neighborhood.

Which makes more sense than all the people a few years ago, who moved
way out and then started whining, "We need a mall, we need a mall!"

Tadaaaa! Lakeline Mall.

DT

Old 08-08-2003, 12:01 AM
Doug McLaren

In article ,
Terry Horton wrote:
| On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 16:31:40 GMT, (Doug McLaren)
| wrote:
|
| In article ,
| animaux wrote:
|
| | I love my Walmart stock. I love that people can buy goods at a very
| | affordable price, but again I ask, do we really need one every few
| | miles in any direction? In this particular instance, do we need one
| | over the aquifer?

Wal-Mart thinks so. And the law allows them to do so.

I don't think Wal-Mart grew as big as they have by building stores
that people don't shop at ...

| This has been brought up before -- the aquifer is huge, many hundreds
| of square miles.
|
| Tired, thread-bare anti-enviro lingo, "But the _____ is so big it
| won't matter how much _____ we pollute it with."

That wasn't my point. What I was really getting at is if you can't
build stores on it, where can you build them?

Here's a map of the Edwards Aquifer for you --

http://www.edwardsaquifer.net/

It's hard to tell exactly, but it looks like the aquifer and recharge
zone make up about 15% of Travis County, and as you go west, it's even
larger.

I guess Bandera county doesn't deserve a Wal-Mart at all! They're all
aquifer! They'll have to drive to the south side of San Antonio for
their discount consumer goods.

| People in Circle C need Wal Marts too!
|
| Oh please. It takes 10 minutes for me to get to Circle C, and there's
| a Wal-Mart between here and there. Such hardship.

Yes, but that Wal-Mart is probably on the aquifer too. All of
southwest Travis county is on the aquifer.

--
Doug McLaren,
Serial Port (Seer e al Port) : Where ships stop to deliver their tasty
Old 08-08-2003, 12:01 AM
Doug McLaren

Old 08-08-2003, 12:03 AM
Doug McLaren

Old 08-08-2003, 04:17 AM
Mike Smith

On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 22:56:17 GMT, (Doug McLaren)
wrote:

In article ,
Terry Horton wrote:
| On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 16:31:40 GMT,
(Doug McLaren)
| wrote:
|
| In article ,
| animaux wrote:
|
| | I love my Walmart stock. I love that people can buy goods at a very
| | affordable price, but again I ask, do we really need one every few
| | miles in any direction? In this particular instance, do we need one
| | over the aquifer?

Wal-Mart thinks so. And the law allows them to do so.

I don't think Wal-Mart grew as big as they have by building stores
that people don't shop at ...

| This has been brought up before -- the aquifer is huge, many hundreds
| of square miles.
|
| Tired, thread-bare anti-enviro lingo, "But the _____ is so big it
| won't matter how much _____ we pollute it with."

That wasn't my point. What I was really getting at is if you can't
build stores on it, where can you build them?

Here's a map of the Edwards Aquifer for you --

http://www.edwardsaquifer.net/

It's hard to tell exactly, but it looks like the aquifer and recharge
zone make up about 15% of Travis County, and as you go west, it's even
larger.

I guess Bandera county doesn't deserve a Wal-Mart at all! They're all
aquifer! They'll have to drive to the south side of San Antonio for
their discount consumer goods.

| People in Circle C need Wal Marts too!
|
| Oh please. It takes 10 minutes for me to get to Circle C, and there's
| a Wal-Mart between here and there. Such hardship.

Yes, but that Wal-Mart is probably on the aquifer too. All of
southwest Travis county is on the aquifer.

OK Doug, you need to cease and desist posting in this newsgroup
immediately. You cannot confuse the masses with facts. These liberals
become totally confused when you start spouting facts like the Edwards
Aquifer is "big"...........

Mike Smith
Old 08-08-2003, 05:34 AM
Terry Horton

On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 22:56:17 GMT, (Doug McLaren)
wrote:

In article ,
Terry Horton wrote:
| On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 16:31:40 GMT,
(Doug McLaren)
| wrote:
|
| In article ,
| animaux wrote:
|
| | I love my Walmart stock. I love that people can buy goods at a very
| | affordable price, but again I ask, do we really need one every few
| | miles in any direction? In this particular instance, do we need one
| | over the aquifer?

Wal-Mart thinks so. And the law allows them to do so.

I don't think Wal-Mart grew as big as they have by building stores
that people don't shop at ...

Most polluters sell something someone wants to buy.

| This has been brought up before -- the aquifer is huge, many hundreds
| of square miles.
|
| Tired, thread-bare anti-enviro lingo, "But the _____ is so big it
| won't matter how much _____ we pollute it with."

That wasn't my point. What I was really getting at is if you can't
build stores on it, where can you build them?

Here's a map of the Edwards Aquifer for you --

http://www.edwardsaquifer.net/

It's hard to tell exactly, but it looks like the aquifer and recharge
zone make up about 15% of Travis County, and as you go west, it's even
larger.

More like less than 5%. I suspect you're confusing 'recharge' with
'contributing'. For purposes of understanding aquifer pollution
they're not equivalent.

I guess Bandera county doesn't deserve a Wal-Mart at all! They're all
aquifer! They'll have to drive to the south side of San Antonio for
their discount consumer goods.

There's a very strong "Wise Use" movement in those parts. Wise Use:
the god given right to urinate in the drinking water.

| People in Circle C need Wal Marts too!
|
| Oh please. It takes 10 minutes for me to get to Circle C, and there's
| a Wal-Mart between here and there. Such hardship.

Yes, but that Wal-Mart is probably on the aquifer too. All of
southwest Travis county is on the aquifer.

Maybe Walmart should turn all of SW Travis County into a superstore.

Don't fret. You'll win it all soon enough. The aquifer is sick and
Barton Springs is dying before our eyes. Before too long few will
even remember what all the fuss was about. Then you can have all the
Walmarts you want.
Old 08-08-2003, 05:34 AM
Terry Horton

On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 12:40:52 GMT, animaux wrote:

I love my Walmart stock. I love that people can buy goods at a very affordable
price, but again I ask, do we really need one every few miles in any direction?
In this particular instance, do we need one over the aquifer?

I thought you might enjoy this quote ca. 1950, inscribed on the
monument in front of Barton Springs Pool....

"If I have to fight for this country, I will not fight for the flag,
or the American 'way of life', or democracy, or private enterprise or
for any other abstractions, which seem cold as kraut to me. But I will
fight to the last ditch for Barton Creek, Boggy Creek, cedar-covered
limestone hills, blazing star and bluebonnets, golden- cheeked
warblers and black-capped vireos... This love of your native land is
basic." - Roy Bedicheck
Old 08-08-2003, 02:34 PM
animaux

On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 11:51:25 -0500, DT wrote:

Most of 'em don't seem to think they do. They'd rather drive than have
one in the neighborhood.

Which makes more sense than all the people a few years ago, who moved
way out and then started whining, "We need a mall, we need a mall!"

Tadaaaa! Lakeline Mall.

DT

Yuk. I moved where I did in upper east Round Rock so I didn't have to deal
with malls. Now our Mayor, Nyle Maxwell, who is a millionaire, owns all the
Maxwell Auto Sales under his name wants to have Williamson County develop a big
outside mall in Georgetown or is it north Round Rock.

Either way, the amount of sprawl scares me and makes me sad knowing I am a part
of it.