Old 08-08-2003, 02:34 PM
animaux

Default Stop Wal-Mart From Building over the Aquifer!

On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 22:14:31 -0500, Mike Smith wrote:

OK Doug, you need to cease and desist posting in this newsgroup
immediately. You cannot confuse the masses with facts. These liberals
become totally confused when you start spouting facts like the Edwards
Aquifer is "big"...........

Mike Smith

"These liberals...?" Talk about painting with a broad brush. We are so doomed.
Old 08-08-2003, 05:04 PM
DT

Terry Horton wrote:

On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 12:40:52 GMT, animaux wrote:

I love my Walmart stock. I love that people can buy goods at a very affordable
price, but again I ask, do we really need one every few miles in any direction?
In this particular instance, do we need one over the aquifer?

I thought you might enjoy this quote ca. 1950, inscribed on the
monument in front of Barton Springs Pool....

"If I have to fight for this country, I will not fight for the flag,
or the American 'way of life', or democracy, or private enterprise or
for any other abstractions, which seem cold as kraut to me. But I will
fight to the last ditch for Barton Creek, Boggy Creek, cedar-covered
limestone hills, blazing star and bluebonnets, golden- cheeked
warblers and black-capped vireos... This love of your native land is
basic." - Roy Bedicheck

Woohoooo! Anybody that quotes Roy Bedichek is ok with me!

Anybody who hasn't read "Adventures With a Texas Naturalist" should,
IMHO. Available at Austin Public Library.

And I need to re-read it myself.

Dale

Old 22-08-2003, 05:42 AM
Brian Clifton

www.saveaustin.com

"Terry Horton" wrote in message
On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 22:56:17 GMT, (Doug McLaren)
wrote:

In article ,
Terry Horton wrote:
| On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 16:31:40 GMT,
(Doug McLaren)
| wrote:
|
| In article ,
| animaux wrote:
|
| | I love my Walmart stock. I love that people can buy goods at a very
| | affordable price, but again I ask, do we really need one every few
| | miles in any direction? In this particular instance, do we need one
| | over the aquifer?

Wal-Mart thinks so. And the law allows them to do so.

I don't think Wal-Mart grew as big as they have by building stores
that people don't shop at ...

Most polluters sell something someone wants to buy.

| This has been brought up before -- the aquifer is huge, many hundreds
| of square miles.
|
| Tired, thread-bare anti-enviro lingo, "But the _____ is so big it
| won't matter how much _____ we pollute it with."

That wasn't my point. What I was really getting at is if you can't
build stores on it, where can you build them?

Here's a map of the Edwards Aquifer for you --

http://www.edwardsaquifer.net/

It's hard to tell exactly, but it looks like the aquifer and recharge
zone make up about 15% of Travis County, and as you go west, it's even
larger.

More like less than 5%. I suspect you're confusing 'recharge' with
'contributing'. For purposes of understanding aquifer pollution
they're not equivalent.

I guess Bandera county doesn't deserve a Wal-Mart at all! They're all
aquifer! They'll have to drive to the south side of San Antonio for
their discount consumer goods.

There's a very strong "Wise Use" movement in those parts. Wise Use:
the god given right to urinate in the drinking water.

| People in Circle C need Wal Marts too!
|
| Oh please. It takes 10 minutes for me to get to Circle C, and there's
| a Wal-Mart between here and there. Such hardship.

Yes, but that Wal-Mart is probably on the aquifer too. All of
southwest Travis county is on the aquifer.

Maybe Walmart should turn all of SW Travis County into a superstore.

Don't fret. You'll win it all soon enough. The aquifer is sick and
Barton Springs is dying before our eyes. Before too long few will
even remember what all the fuss was about. Then you can have all the
Walmarts you want.

Old 24-08-2003, 07:02 AM
torresD

Can't stop Wal-Mart, they bought and pay for
our politicians.