Old 14-09-2003, 11:25 PM
busry

Default Soil recommendations?

I have a couple of 4x4 frames of landscape timbers and wanted to get some
soil to fill them to start a garden. I figured a truckload of soil would be
pcheaper than filling them with bags of dillo dirt from home depot. Can
anyone recommend a place in Central Austin where I can get a truckload of
soil? How much can I expect to pay for it? Any leftover will be spread on
my lawn.

Old 15-09-2003, 12:32 AM
Sandy Beotches

busry wrote:
I have a couple of 4x4 frames of landscape timbers and wanted to get some
soil to fill them to start a garden. I figured a truckload of soil would be
pcheaper than filling them with bags of dillo dirt from home depot. Can
anyone recommend a place in Central Austin where I can get a truckload of
soil? How much can I expect to pay for it? Any leftover will be spread on
my lawn.

I always buy from GeoGrowers. Good people, quality equal or better to
Natural Gardener, minus the flakiness, $~35/yard + $40-55/deliver,
depending on truck size.

Old 15-09-2003, 02:02 PM
animaux

The Natural gardener is making state of the art compost, currently. They
inoculated it with microbes from aerobic tea and have some of the most beautiful
compost I'd seen. You will need to mix it with the existing soil and loosen
what you have. Laying soil or compost on top of a hard soil will be
unsuccessful.

On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 22:23:32 GMT, "busry" opined:

Old 18-09-2003, 09:24 PM
animaux

No, they are not the same. Dirt is the stuff that shows up on your car, windows,
door knobs and floors. Soil is a living, active, rich biological system which is
full of myriad life forms. Everything from micro organisms to macro organisms
live in soil. Soil is life. Dirt is not.

Some soils need to be amended in order to make it more hospitable to grow plants
in. Many of the Texas soils have high alkalinity, some in East Texas are
acidic, then there are the swaths of acidic soils which run from far north
Dallas, down through the Park Cities, downward to just south of Waco.

All soil on the earth has a way of renewal. Forests have renewal in their leaf
litter, and other fungi in the soil which form mats under ground and
symbiotically live with trees and help them use water and nutrients.

So, I can go further, but this is only a millionth of the differences between
dirt and soil, from a scientific standpoint.

Victoria

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 05:41:25 -0500, opined:

Old 18-09-2003, 09:24 PM

If you are a native Texan and grew up in the
country, there is just dirt.
However, as you noted, there is good dirt & bad dirt:-)

Gene

Old 18-09-2003, 10:15 PM
Steve Coyle

"Jill Johnson" wrote in message ...
Howdy folks,
In regards to this question:

What's the difference between soil and dirt?

One of the first lessons I do with the Kindergardener gardeners is on
the difference between soil and dirt. Soil is in the garden, dirt is
what it becomes when you track it back into the classroom all over the
classroom carpet.

take care,
Steve Coyle
www.austingardencenter.com

Old 18-09-2003, 11:37 PM
animaux

Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 22:26:47 GMT

I've been gardening here for ten years. I didn't have to be born here to know
that soils differentiate. No soil is dirt. It's all soil, good or bad. Dirt
is the thing you squirt Fantastic on to clean it off door knob surrounds.

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 15:12:38 -0500, opined:

If you are a native Texan and grew up in the
country, there is just dirt.
However, as you noted, there is good dirt & bad dirt:-)

Gene

.. .

Old 18-09-2003, 11:47 PM
animaux