Old 25-09-2003, 05:42 AM
endeitz

Default Soil recommendations?

I have used the "growers mix" from Austin Landscape Supplies to good
effect.

http://www.als.citysearch.com/

Does anyone else have experience with ALS? I'm not an expert on organic
growing or anything, so I can't really vouch for them in that regard.

A side note: I think that Dillo Dirt contains municipal sludge so it is
not recommended for growing edibles (you'd be amazed at what people put
down the drain.)

Cheers,

Ed.

"busry" wrote in
:

I have a couple of 4x4 frames of landscape timbers and wanted to get
some soil to fill them to start a garden. I figured a truckload of
soil would be pcheaper than filling them with bags of dillo dirt from
home depot. Can anyone recommend a place in Central Austin where I
can get a truckload of soil? How much can I expect to pay for it? Any
leftover will be spread on my lawn.

Old 28-09-2003, 02:39 AM
J Kolenovsky

Dirt is what is behind your ears and under your fingernails. =

Jill Johnson wrote:
=

What's the difference between soil and dirt?
=

"busry" wrote in message
I have a couple of 4x4 frames of landscape timbers and wanted to get =

some
soil to fill them to start a garden. I figured a truckload of soil w=

ould
be
pcheaper than filling them with bags of dillo dirt from home depot. =

Can
anyone recommend a place in Central Austin where I can get a truckloa=

d of
soil? How much can I expect to pay for it? Any leftover will be spre=

ad on
my lawn.

-- =

J. Kolenovsky, A+, Network +, MCP
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden/personal.html - personal
Old 28-09-2003, 02:39 AM
J Kolenovsky

It would depend on the precentage of clay. loam and sand that in in it.

Jill Johnson wrote:
=

Is mud wet dirt or wet soil?
=

"animaux" wrote in message
I've been gardening here for ten years. I didn't have to be born her=

e to
know
that soils differentiate. No soil is dirt. It's all soil, good or b=

ad.
Dirt
is the thing you squirt Fantastic on to clean it off door knob surrou=

nds.

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 15:12:38 -0500, opined:

If you are a native Texan and grew up in the
country, there is just dirt.
However, as you noted, there is good dirt & bad dirt:-)

Gene

"animaux" wrote in message
.. .
No, they are not the same. Dirt is the stuff that shows up on your=

car,
windows,
door knobs and floors. Soil is a living, active, rich biological s=

ystem
which is
full of myriad life forms. Everything from micro organisms to ma=

cro
organisms
live in soil. Soil is life. Dirt is not.

Some soils need to be amended in order to make it more hospitable =

grow
plants
in. Many of the Texas soils have high alkalinity, some in East Te=

xas
are
acidic, then there are the swaths of acidic soils which run from f=

ar
north
Dallas, down through the Park Cities, downward to just south of Wa=

co.

All soil on the earth has a way of renewal. Forests have renewal =

in
their
leaf
litter, and other fungi in the soil which form mats under ground a=

nd
symbiotically live with trees and help them use water and nutrient=

s.

So, I can go further, but this is only a millionth of the differen=

ces
between
dirt and soil, from a scientific standpoint.

Victoria

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 05:41:25 -0500, opined:=

They are both the same, except soil costs mo-)

"Jill Johnson" wrote in message
=

=2E..