Old 30-10-2003, 04:12 AM
Judith Scobee

Default austin trees = Treaty Oak!

Hi, All . . . .Does anyone live near this tree? I discovered it, while
vacationing there in Austin back in Sept. 1983 (and gathered some
discarded branches + acorns from the ground . . . to bring home to
Hollywood, Ca. . . . out of about 34 acorns, only one grew to about 2'
. . then died), and NOW would like to get some of it's acorns again to
try to have her "offspring" grow here in L.A.! Any help would be deeply
appreciated, thanks!

Enjoy the day! [:-)
= Judy =

Old 30-10-2003, 04:03 PM
Brian Anderson

Judith Scobee wrote:

would like to get some of it's acorns again to
try to have her "offspring" grow here in L.A.!

I don't know if treaty Oak acorns are available any more.

In 1989 someone tried to kill the tree with a massive overdose
of herbicide. Parts of the tree were lost, and the part that
survived didn't produce any acorns until 1997. IIRC, they're
still a scarce commodity.

Try the e-mail address at the bottom of this link and see what
they say:

http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/treatyoak/hist1.htm

Old 30-10-2003, 07:02 PM
dt

Brian Anderson wrote:

Judith Scobee wrote:

would like to get some of it's acorns again to
try to have her "offspring" grow here in L.A.!

I don't know if treaty Oak acorns are available any more.

In 1989 someone tried to kill the tree with a massive overdose of
herbicide. Parts of the tree were lost, and the part that survived
didn't produce any acorns until 1997. IIRC, they're still a scarce
commodity.

Try the e-mail address at the bottom of this link and see what they say:

http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/treatyoak/hist1.htm

Is it just me, or would that page have been greatly enhanced by a jpeg?

Maybe even a "then-and-now" comparison, or something.

DT

Old 13-11-2003, 01:12 PM
dt

Brian Anderson wrote:

Judith Scobee wrote:

would like to get some of it's acorns again to
try to have her "offspring" grow here in L.A.!

I don't know if treaty Oak acorns are available any more.

In 1989 someone tried to kill the tree with a massive overdose of
herbicide. Parts of the tree were lost, and the part that survived
didn't produce any acorns until 1997. IIRC, they're still a scarce
commodity.

Try the e-mail address at the bottom of this link and see what they say:

http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/treatyoak/hist1.htm

Is it just me, or would that page have been greatly enhanced by a jpeg?

Maybe even a "then-and-now" comparison, or something.

DT

Buy Austin Flagstone stone Rock Austin $100 a ton best price361-945-7625 sales Texas 0 25-09-2008 09:59 PM
Where to buy Palm trees in austin? zip Texas 4 21-03-2006 05:53 AM
Somehow my newsreader transposed austin.general for austin.gardening;-) jOhN Texas 5 14-10-2005 02:45 AM
austin trees Pete Brunet Texas 6 29-10-2003 08:22 PM
Kyoto Treaty & Soot From Burning Wood Robert Cohen alt.forestry 2 11-11-2002 04:14 PM