Old 13-11-2003, 01:13 PM
G a e X a v i e r

Default Two Questions?

1) What are those tall (human height) cane like plants
with the delicious smelling white flowers right to the
left as you drive into Zilker Garden's making a right
after the gate?

2) One of my roses is looking badly chlorotic (yellow
leaves with dark veins). What natural potion could I use
to get it a dark green again?

TIA! Gae

Old 13-11-2003, 01:13 PM
animaux

On Wed, 05 Nov 2003 13:56:10 -0600, G a e X a v i e r opined:

1) What are those tall (human height) cane like plants
with the delicious smelling white flowers right to the
left as you drive into Zilker Garden's making a right
after the gate?

Don't know.

2) One of my roses is looking badly chlorotic (yellow
leaves with dark veins). What natural potion could I use
to get it a dark green again?

TIA! Gae

Horticultural molasses, sold in gallon bottles at Lowes for about 8 dollars.
Very high in iron. Also, I fertilize my one rose using Ladybug Brand 8-2-4.
That's in addition to the heavy use of compost as a top dress, and I also dig
some around into the soil at the root zone a few times a year. Roses do not
have great root systems. They do benefit from the use of mycorrhizae, which
they sell at many good garden centers.

Victoria
Old 13-11-2003, 01:13 PM
Victor Martinez

G a e X a v i e r wrote:
2) One of my roses is looking badly chlorotic (yellow
leaves with dark veins). What natural potion could I use
to get it a dark green again?

Whip up a batch of liquid seaweed and use it on both the foliage and the
soil. Wouldn't hurt to add some fish emulsion too (stinky, but good).

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 13-11-2003, 01:13 PM
G a e X a v i e r

Thanks to both you and Animaux for the tips on the rose problem!

Could those tall corn looking plants at Zilker possibly some kind of Ginger
lily. They smell just like Hawaiian Ginger perfume I once bought out in
California -- richly sweet and powerful, but not as pungent and off-putting
as night blooming jasmine.

I know it is not a jasmine. I think the plants are some form of ginger.

Best -- Gae

Old 13-11-2003, 01:13 PM
animaux

Could they be plumeria? Can you describe the flowers and foliage in better
detail? It's hard to do, but maybe it is something more generic than we all
think.

Victoria

Thu, 06 Nov 2003 11:28:54 -0600, G a e X a v i e r opined:

Old 13-11-2003, 01:13 PM
G a e X a v i e r

No. I know plumeria and it is not. Also plumeria is more subtle. These flowers
were perfuming the parking lot.

Maybe I will drive by and shoot a dig. pic. The look like corn stalks (a single
cane with leaf blades off the canes) and then a spray of silver dollar sized
white lily-like pungently sweet flowers at the top.

I really suspect a type of ginger lily because the leaves look like my root
ginger and my cardamon, but these are tall and delicious smelling.

Gae

Old 13-11-2003, 01:13 PM
animaux

Hmmm, we have to go downtown tomorrow. Maybe I'll drop by and take a look. Is
it at the front entrance, across from Barton Springs Pool?

On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 09:08:50 -0600, G a e X a v i e r opined:

Old 13-11-2003, 01:13 PM
G a e X a v i e r

It is the driveway to Zilker Gardens center, turning right into the driveway past
the gate. It is the tall plants in the center island on the left before you get to
the pond in front of the building.