Old 02-01-2004, 04:04 PM
Patrick Free

Default Looking for pecan seedlings

Does anyone know of a good source for pecan seedlings in this area (or
within an hour drive)?

Thanks!
Old 02-01-2004, 05:33 PM
Katra

In article ,
Patrick Free wrote:

Does anyone know of a good source for pecan seedlings in this area (or
within an hour drive)?

Thanks!

lol Come dig them out of my yard.. LOL
I've been having to destroy them. Too many.

Compliments of my local squirrels!

Want some? I have not destroyed them all......

I'm in San Marcos.

K.

--
,,Cat's Haven Hobby ,,

Old 03-01-2004, 02:32 AM
animaux

On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 15:44:21 GMT, Patrick Free opined:

Does anyone know of a good source for pecan seedlings in this area (or
within an hour drive)?

Thanks!

Sometime next month just about every nursery and garden center will have bare
root pecan trees. They are cheap and you can select a proven winner or know
what you are getting and relative certainty it will produce.

Old 05-01-2004, 08:09 PM
dt

Katra wrote:
In article ,
Patrick Free wrote:

In article ,
says...

Does anyone know of a good source for pecan seedlings in this area (or
within an hour drive)?

Thanks!

lol Come dig them out of my yard.. LOL
I've been having to destroy them. Too many.

Compliments of my local squirrels!

Want some? I have not destroyed them all......

That's ok, thanks. :-)

I grew up on a pecan plantation that was converted to a subdivision. We
had loads of squirrels, and they uses to always bury pecans, but they
never sprouted.

Patrick

Well, these are sprouting all over the darned yard, and as I said, I'm
digging them up and tossing them.

I was not asking anything for them, they'd be free if you dug them up.

On the ones that we have actually potted, we get about a 50% survival
rate. I've been giving them away to my 'net buddies on the poultry lists.

I think I still have a couple in pots. They are most likely from the
tree 2 yards over, and they are a nice, average sized, meaty pecan.

K.

FWIW, pecans don't come "true" from seed; most seedlings revert to the
native, small pecans. See: http://tinyurl.com/27lhy for info on grafting.

DT

Old 06-01-2004, 07:12 AM
Katra

In article ,
dt wrote:

Katra wrote:
In article ,
Patrick Free wrote:

In article ,
says...

[...]

Well, in that case, you could take these "stalks" and do grafting on
them. :-) Grafting does not look that difficult. I have a wunnerful book
on plant propagation.

It's fascinating..... :-)

K.

--
,,Cat's Haven Hobby ,,

FREE PECAN SHELLS Red Texas 1 06-11-2003 03:03 AM
splitting bark on pecan trees - cause for concern? Dave-tx Texas 2 21-08-2003 02:12 PM
Pecan tree care El Vato Lawns 1 05-05-2003 10:58 PM
Pecan tree problem... Gene S Texas 2 23-04-2003 05:56 AM
Pecan tree care El Vato Lawns 1 07-03-2003 07:36 AM