Old 23-01-2004, 04:06 AM
cat daddy

Default This is ridiculous................

Okay, so I thought I was a little behind due to the composting frenzy. I
forgot to water or mulch and fully expected the freezes to finish off the
lilies and things and get ready for a Winter nap (me, too). But, nothing
really froze back..........
I see irises and the wild lilies putting up new spikes, so I go out and
grab a few bags of leaves to mulch mow and spread before the last rain.
Perfect timing...
So, I can't resist going and getting many more this week and filling all
the beds in back with leaf mulch. The compost heap has stabilized at about 4
ft., is very hot, but needs turning. If I dig down a couple of feet, there
is finished stuff, .......

.....which I'll need because two irises are getting ready to *bloom*.
Okay, I'm not behind for doing Fall stuff, I'm just ahead for Spring........

Old 23-01-2004, 02:08 PM
animaux

Join the club.

Yesterday I was out front physically removing a large area of sod which never
stayed watered. Glory be, the builders decided sand was perfect over there. I
think when these guys grade the soil out they don't give a crap what goes into
it. I found huge hunks of tape, rebar, actual 2x4 wood, hunks of roofing.
That's fine because now in that spot went a cherry laurel, mexican buckeye and I
have to move an 8 foot evergreen sumac up there. Less grass.

As for the freezes, I think the weathermen drum these things out of their heads.
I now fully believe that, when they say it will be 28, it means it will be 34.
That, or I am in a pocket of phenomena where frost falls on everyone else but
me. I mean, I do spray all my plants with seaweed to prevent total freeze
damage, but I have lantana blooming!

I love Austin!

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 20:45:28 -0600, "cat daddy" opined:

Old 23-01-2004, 05:04 PM
cat daddy

"animaux" wrote in message
Join the club.

Yesterday I was out front physically removing a large area of sod which

never
stayed watered. Glory be, the builders decided sand was perfect over

there. I
think when these guys grade the soil out they don't give a crap what goes

into
it. I found huge hunks of tape, rebar, actual 2x4 wood, hunks of roofing.
That's fine because now in that spot went a cherry laurel, mexican buckeye

and I
have to move an 8 foot evergreen sumac up there. Less grass.

I was hoping for a little breathing spell from the dirt work so I could
address some shrubbery replacement (photinia) and some tree trimming and
strategic tree placement. I would also like to get serious about the pond
and teahouse...
But, with the holiday on Monday and no rain yet today, I just had to run
out and get a few more bags of leaves this morning, which I can only
stockpile for now.

As for the freezes, I think the weathermen drum these things out of their

heads.
I now fully believe that, when they say it will be 28, it means it will be

34.
That, or I am in a pocket of phenomena where frost falls on everyone else

but
me. I mean, I do spray all my plants with seaweed to prevent total freeze
damage, but I have lantana blooming!

Weather forecasts used to include only Travis and marginal surrounding
counties, but when TV started including Llano county down to La Grange, the
regional forecast became skewed beyond usability (that, and "computer
models"). The school weather network shows the wide range of temperature and
rainfall even between neighbourhoods in Austin.
I fully expect the everything to pop up and start blooming and we'll get
a hard freeze in March..........

Old 23-01-2004, 07:33 PM
animaux

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 10:56:03 -0600, "cat daddy" opined:

I was hoping for a little breathing spell from the dirt work so I could
address some shrubbery replacement (photinia) and some tree trimming and
strategic tree placement. I would also like to get serious about the pond
and teahouse...
But, with the holiday on Monday and no rain yet today, I just had to run
out and get a few more bags of leaves this morning, which I can only
stockpile for now.

Well, on top of my projects, I'm also growing for a nursery some plants which
are not ordinarily found in the trade. So, I had all that to do today, after I
dug out and moved the 8 foot evergreen sumac. There is no breathing room in
Texas as far as gardening goes. Unless, of course, we get a no r'easter, which
is always a distinct possibility.

Old 24-01-2004, 01:05 AM
Greg C

My Iris's started blooming a many weeks ago. More on the way.

Greg C

Old 24-01-2004, 02:04 AM
God Bless Texas

Greg C wrote:
My Iris's started blooming a many weeks ago. More on the way.

Now don't y'all start in like a bunch of transplanted Yankees and
Califonians.

I remember a February only a few years back that we hit 100 degrees.

Froze on March 26 that same year, as I recall, or maybe just the year
before.

It comes and goes; I agree with the previous poster that we haven't seen
the last of the freezing weather yet. I just hope we get plenty 'o rain
in between.

Old 24-01-2004, 03:18 AM
animaux

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 01:50:55 GMT, God Bless Texas
opined:

Greg C wrote:
My Iris's started blooming a many weeks ago. More on the way.

Now don't y'all start in like a bunch of transplanted Yankees and
Califonians.

I remember a February only a few years back that we hit 100 degrees.

Froze on March 26 that same year, as I recall, or maybe just the year
before.

It comes and goes; I agree with the previous poster that we haven't seen
the last of the freezing weather yet. I just hope we get plenty 'o rain
in between.

Well, I am a transplanted Yankee! However, I've been here almost 1/4 of my
life. I consider myself a Texan. I don't know that I could move anywhere but
right here. I love it here.