Old 06-04-2004, 09:31 PM
MattH

Default Bark splitting on Red Oak?

Hi Gang,
I've got a 3-trunk Red Oak that was installed late Summer / 2002. I
noticed that this spring, the bark is splitting on 2 of the trunks. The
splits are vertical, between 2 and 5 inches long. I did a Google search
and saw some suggestions that it could be oak wilt. The leaves are
starting to come in, and they look fine. So, could oak wilt be to the
point where the bark is damaged, but the leaves are still okay? That
sounds weird to me. Any other ideas of what the problem could be?
Thanks,
Matt
Old 06-04-2004, 09:31 PM
John T. Jarrett

Wet mild Springs can lead to too much growth too rapidly without
giving the bark time to stretch and fill in so it cracks in an ugly
manner and (hopefully) fills in the cracks during the year.

John

.com...

Old 06-04-2004, 09:31 PM
Babberney

On Tue, 06 Apr 2004 14:29:14 GMT, MattH
wrote:

Hi Gang,
I've got a 3-trunk Red Oak that was installed late Summer / 2002. I
noticed that this spring, the bark is splitting on 2 of the trunks. The
splits are vertical, between 2 and 5 inches long. I did a Google search
and saw some suggestions that it could be oak wilt. The leaves are
starting to come in, and they look fine. So, could oak wilt be to the
point where the bark is damaged, but the leaves are still okay? That
sounds weird to me. Any other ideas of what the problem could be?
Thanks,
Matt

this is not a symptom of oak wilt. could be as the previous post
said, could be result of freeze damage, but it's not oak wilt. I'd
just wait and see what happens, but if you'd like to consult with
someone, look for an ISA cetified arborist (link below) or a member of
American Society of Consulting Arborists.

For more info about the International Society of Arboriculture, please visit http://www.isa-arbor.com/home.asp.
For consumer info about tree care, visit http://www.treesaregood.com/

Old 06-04-2004, 09:31 PM
MattH

(Babberney) wrote in
:

On Tue, 06 Apr 2004 14:29:14 GMT, MattH

For more info about the International Society of Arboriculture, please
visit
http://www.isa-arbor.com/home.asp. For consumer info about tree
care, visit http://www.treesaregood.com/

Thanks. This really puts my mind at ease. I'll keep an eye on it.
Matt