Old 09-05-2004, 12:07 AM
ie

Default Mosquito Magnet--We have one

We got one last year. I am a mosquito magnet myself, as was my elderly
father, who lived with us at the time. It did not work as well as we had
hoped last year but we also did not keep it operational all year, (many
hospital visits and hospice care took over our as suggested, we let it run
out several times....and I'm not convinced we placed it properly.

We started out using the attractant but after reading further about the
attractant and Asian Tiger Mosquitos. They say that it does not attract
them, it repels them, and not to use the "octenol" if you have Tiger
Mosquitos. I noticed that the mosquitos that chase and bite me have
stripes, as the Tiger Mosquito is described, so we quit using the "octenol".

Since Asian Tiger Mosquitos were imported into the US in some tires via the
port at Houston, I'm guessing most of this area has them.

We set ours up again a couple of weeks ago and have moved it a little to get
it more in between us and our probable sources of mosquitos...I'll try to
remember to check back as we progress to see how it goes. On the whole,
after last years results I don't know that I'd recommend buying one. I may
change that opinion later this year if it starts working better....

"Chris" wrote in message
Has anyone tried this product? It's pricey but comes with rave reviews
including from the military. With my poorly-installed underground

drainage
of my roof downspouts every summer we get deluged by mosquitoes. With a

new
dog that has to go outside a couple of times a day and West Nile set to

take
over, I'm considering shelling out the cash. However, I'd love to have a
local person's opinion, good or bad, first.

Thanks,
Chris

Old 09-05-2004, 04:07 PM
Chris

Thanks very much for the first hand account. I'm certainly still debating
the purchase....
Chris

Old 10-05-2004, 08:13 PM
Chris

Not that it matters a whole lot but Paul Harvey talked about the Mosquito
Magnet today on his broadcast. He speaks very highly of it. I know the
things that I've purchased that Paul Harvey has recommended in the past have
always been good buys.

.... still debating but getting closer to purchasing...
Chris

Old 10-05-2004, 11:10 PM
Andyd

I assume this post is talkign about those mosquito traps that cost
quite a bit and are becoming the rage now (I have no idea how to get
to that link in the original post). I have a friend who bought one,
and after it failed to work (he said he only got about as many
mosquitos as would he would have if they had randomly flown in) he
found that they don't work on Asian Tigers, they aren't attracted to
it. What we have here in town as far as I can tell is mainly Asian
Tigers. These are the little striped *******s that tend to fly low to
the ground and bite your ankles. Very common here.

The Mosquito traps work well with large, native mosquitos that you
commonly see in coastal areas, from what I am told. Maybe Paul Harvey
has that type of mosquito.

Be sure to get out where you want to use this thing and see what you
are trying to get. If they are Asian Tigers, which they probably are,
you might have second thoughts about these devices.

andyd

On Mon, 10 May 2004 18:43:59 GMT, "Chris" wrote:

Not that it matters a whole lot but Paul Harvey talked about the Mosquito
Magnet today on his broadcast. He speaks very highly of it. I know the
things that I've purchased that Paul Harvey has recommended in the past have
always been good buys.

... still debating but getting closer to purchasing...
Chris

.. .

Old 12-05-2004, 03:07 PM
Andyd

Yeah, that is the one my friend has. Check out some of these pages.

http://www.mosquito.org/MosqInfo/Traps.htm- good outline of how these
traps work, even has a summary of a test on the Mosquito Magnet.
Emphasizes the fact that some traps work on some species and not on
others. This is one of the few pages I found with a google search
that was not an ad for one of these traps.

http://extlab7.entnem.ufl.edu/PestAlert/dfc-0717.htm- Another page,
with the specific comment that Asian Tigers are not attracted to these
traps.

As noted above, be careful with these searches as a lot of the Google
hits were nothing more than ads or ads that look like some type of
article.

I'd be careful before forking out hundreds of dollars for one of
these. Perhaps find someone who can loan you one to see if it really
works?

andyd

On Mon, 10 May 2004 23:02:04 GMT, "GeneS"
wrote:

I'm thinking ~ the kind that uses a 5gal propane tank ..

"Andyd" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

.. .

Old 14-05-2004, 10:05 PM
Russell

I tryed one for 2 months, caught a total of 3, sent it back. I live in
South Austin, hope you have better luck if you get one.

Russell

wrote:

I'm thinking ~ the kind that uses a 5gal propane tank ..

"Andyd" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

.. .