Old 17-05-2004, 10:21 AM
Bill McKee

Default Will my tree set fruit?

To wildscape my backyard this summer I bought a rough-leaf dogwood
because I'd heard that it's fuit is enjoyed by many birds. I guess
it's about 5 years old.

It flowered, but only a very few fruit have developed (maybe one out
of every 30-40 flowers). Is that about par for a young tree? Should I
buy a second tree to cross polinate? Or should there be enough polen
available in the air for that? I live in north central San Antonio on
the edge of the Hill Country.

Thanks,
Bill
Old 17-05-2004, 03:19 PM
escapee

On Mon, 17 May 2004 08:14:06 GMT, Bill McKee opined:

To wildscape my backyard this summer I bought a rough-leaf dogwood
because I'd heard that it's fuit is enjoyed by many birds. I guess
it's about 5 years old.

It flowered, but only a very few fruit have developed (maybe one out
of every 30-40 flowers). Is that about par for a young tree? Should I
buy a second tree to cross polinate? Or should there be enough polen
available in the air for that? I live in north central San Antonio on
the edge of the Hill Country.

Thanks,
Bill

This small tree prefers moist or even tolerates wet soils. If you don't have
the condition for it, you may not get the full results you are looking for.
However, berry producing trees and shrubs can take several years in the ground
before they perform well. If the foliage is clean and healthy, you will
probably see more fruit as seasons go by. To my knowledge, it does not need
another to cross pollinate.

Victoria