Old 02-06-2004, 07:10 AM
Patrick

Default St Augustine's invasion (and Burmuda)

Dave-tx wrote:

I'm trying to fight runners from neighbors' St Augustine coming
through my fence and taking over my Zoysia, and thought I'd
solicit the group for advice/tips.

I got the largest size of black plastic flower bed edging from Lowes and
trenched it along the base of the fence. The runners try to grow over
it, but they are easy to trim back with the weed eater. I can also see
any runners that make it and pull them out. Since the St. Augustine is
all above the ground, it's easy.

I hate it that we have water rationing just because people plant St.
Augustine.

I love my Zoysia: less invasive than Burmuda, hasn't needed to be
watered yet this year. (It's well established--three years) It seems to
crowd out most weeds, and it grows slowly enough to only need mowing
twice a month or less. I did add lots of compost and lava sand at
first, and I throw all my prunings on the grass to be mulched in with
the mower, so I have plenty of organic material to help it grow.

The only scary thing is a few places where I see the triple seed heads
of a bit of Burmuda. I try to pull it, but it is hard to tell the
diference between the Burmuda and the Zoysia, and of course I know that
i could never remove all the Burmuda without digging out a cubic yard of
dirt or nuking the whole area with some lovely herbicide.

Does anyone have a trick for killing Burmuda in a Zoysia lawn?

--Patrick

Question re Mulch and a St. Augustine Grass question. Ronn Cliiborn Lawns 0 23-08-2006 06:16 PM
St Augustine's invasion Dave-tx Texas 13 09-06-2004 03:19 PM
Bonus S and Image on St. Augustine Grass Tom Rossi Lawns 0 01-05-2004 01:02 AM
St. Augustine Lawn and Thatch Ray Lawns 3 06-06-2003 02:44 AM
fix for dying lawn and invasion of weeds? Lil Gardening 4 21-04-2003 05:32 PM