Old 09-06-2004, 03:19 PM
deepeddygirl

Default White spit on plants

Can someone tell me what is that stuff that looks like thick white glue
that is showing up on my plants. The natives and the ornamentals have
it. It kinda looks like a mildew, but it's pure white and very sticky
looking. It shows up on the stem under the leaves toward the end of the
"branch" although I have seen some at the base too. I applied an organic
insecticidal soap last week, but it doesn't seem to have helped.

Suggestions? TIA!
Old 09-06-2004, 03:19 PM
Katra

In article ,
deepeddygirl wrote:

Can someone tell me what is that stuff that looks like thick white glue
that is showing up on my plants. The natives and the ornamentals have
it. It kinda looks like a mildew, but it's pure white and very sticky
looking. It shows up on the stem under the leaves toward the end of the
"branch" although I have seen some at the base too. I applied an organic
insecticidal soap last week, but it doesn't seem to have helped.

Suggestions? TIA!

They are called "Spittle Bugs" for obvious reasons. ;-)

A spray of water with a little dish soap mixed in takes care of them.

Nasty! They make it hard to weed.......

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Old 14-06-2004, 11:06 AM
Scruffy Dog

When I was growing up we always called that "snake spit". I later
learned that it was the spittle bug as Katra as said. If you dig around
in the "spittle" you can find the little bugs. As for getting rid of
them I never have tried, I can't see that they cause much damage to
anything. I say live and let live.

Old 14-06-2004, 09:08 PM
deepeddygirl

I may not have been clear enough. I think what you guys are talking
about really looks like spit. It's kind of foamy and looks like someone
just spit on the plant. I've seen it and it's pretty gross.

What I have is stickier and pure white. Kind of like fake snow that you
use to spray on your windows during the holidays. It seems to be 1 1/2 -
2" below the last spray of leaves (or blooms) at the end of a branch.

I sprayed with the insecticidal soap, but it doesn't seem to have
helped. Does this jog anyone's memory? TIA!

Old 14-06-2004, 10:09 PM
Scruffy Dog

Have you looked for any bugs inside the "white stuff"? If that is too
gross for you , just see if a spray with the hose gets it off. Other
than that i haven't a clue, but I'll do some research on it.

Alan

Old 15-06-2004, 05:13 AM
deepeddygirl

I did and didn't see any. It's kind of web-like and seems to be on the
underside of the top leaves as well.

Thanks for the help!

Scruffy Dog wrote:

Have you looked for any bugs inside the "white stuff"? If that is too
gross for you , just see if a spray with the hose gets it off. Other
than that i haven't a clue, but I'll do some research on it.

Alan

Since I don't know spit about roses........... [email protected] Gardening 3 02-08-2008 10:44 PM
Hillary, Osama & McInsane All Spit On the American Majority Ted[_2_] Gardening 1 17-04-2008 05:45 PM
It's time for another spit turtle... FragileWarrior Gardening 17 21-06-2007 02:23 PM
Bug Spit on perennials Jenny Gardening 1 07-06-2006 03:51 PM
spit Noydb Edible Gardening 3 14-06-2003 09:08 PM