Old 26-07-2004, 05:02 PM
Andyd

Default RFI: What should and shouldn't I "compost"

First, I put the word compost in quotes because I have never had much
luck with my compost pile. I don't have time to turn, water, etc. the
thing, so I don't get the true "composting" going on. I pretty much
pile everything in a homemade bin and a year or so later I have some
material to use. Actually I haven't really dug in to see what I am
ending up with, but I would like to do so soon.

So, my question. With the way my compost bin works (or doesn't, as
noted above), are there things I should not be composting? I am
specifically thinking about many things that I toss in there-- weeds.
This includes those nasty broad-leafed weeds that are in everyone's
garden, which seed out at a very small size, as well as bermuda grass
(including roots/rhizomes), nutgrass (including roots/rhizomes), etc.
etc. I spend a lot of time pulling weeds and they end up in my compost
bin. Am I potentially going to cause a problem in areas where I
might use this material by introducing seeds or rhizomes or whatever
for new weeds to form? The last thing I want is to use some of this
material in a relatively weed-free area and start some bermuda grass
or nutgrass or other weeds growing.

Thanks.

andyd
Old 26-07-2004, 05:02 PM
RoyDMercer

Default What should and shouldn't I "compost"

"Andyd" wrote in message
news
[...]

A hot compost pile will break down weed seeds. Your pile will eventually
break down into compost after a year or so, but it is unlikely that it will
get hot enough to decompose seeds. In order to get it hot enough, you need
a good mix of brown and green material, and you need to aerate (turn) often.