Old 26-07-2004, 10:04 PM
jhill

Default propagating a date tree?

I bought a house at which the previous owner had planted a date tree which
produces very well. I would like to have at least one more tree like it. Is
there any way to start another from the limbs or something of this one -- if
so how? I live in Killeen, TX

Old 27-07-2004, 07:06 AM
MrChaos007

jhill wrote:
I bought a house at which the previous owner had planted a date tree which
produces very well. I would like to have at least one more tree like it. Is
there any way to start another from the limbs or something of this one -- if
so how? I live in Killeen, TX

Take some of the dates, dry them and plant them. If they don't grow in
several months, you may need to do some more research on date seeds.
There are methods to increase seed germination.

Good Luck

Dave
www.gardensoftheancients.com
Old 27-07-2004, 08:02 PM
M. Tiefert

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 00:25:05 -0500, MrChaos007 wrote:

jhill wrote:
I bought a house at which the previous owner had planted a date tree
which
produces very well. I would like to have at least one more tree like
it. Is
there any way to start another from the limbs or something of this one
-- if
so how? I live in Killeen, TX

Wait till it forms offsets at the base. They don't come true from seeds.
If there are any commercial date farms in the area, maybe they offer tours
or other information. (If you think you'd like to see southern California
anyway, it may be worthwhile to also go to the Date Festival in Indio,
California - a county fair, really, but the main crop there is dates and
the fair is pretty informative.)

cheers,

Marj
Old 28-07-2004, 12:04 AM
tony

What am I supposed to do with these offsets? There are no dates grown
around hee that I know of, else I would just go ask them!

newspsbs8ggjtadtv40@matservices...

Old 28-07-2004, 07:03 PM
M. Tiefert

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 16:49:44 -0500, tony wrote:

What am I supposed to do with these offsets? There are no dates grown
around hee that I know of, else I would just go ask them!

Hack them off at the base and plant them. As to exactly _how_ to go about
doing that without harming either the older tree or the pup, I don't know
- maybe Google can help you find something?

cheers,

Marj
--
Mediterranean Garden Advice and Shop: http://stores.tiefert.com/garden/
Also: http://www.mindspring.com/~mtiefert/...gardening.html

Old 31-07-2004, 10:11 PM
Robbin

Do you have a "Date Palm" or a "Date Tree"?

If it is a date tree (Chinese Date), then check out the following link.

http://www.botany.com/zizyphus.html

Old 03-08-2004, 12:52 PM
Fritz von Herbenfeller

I have successfully grown other palms from seed so I suppose date palms
would do as well. It may be that if yours is the only tree around seeds may
not be viable. In any event I ssupected that seeds from other individual
palm trees may be either all viable or all not viable and I don't know
whether it depends on pollination or the individual tree characteristics.
See the book "Plant Propagation" by the American Horticultural Society (Alan
Toogood, editor--how's that for a monikor) for seed collection and
preparation details.

Propagating from an olive tree Mike United Kingdom 2 01-05-2006 01:25 PM
propagating a date tree? jhill Orchids 6 27-07-2004 08:02 PM
David Wee -- how did the date go??? :) Duncan A. McRae Freshwater Aquaria Plants 13 14-06-2003 04:20 AM
"Burping" gravel + does seachem flourish have a use by date? Jay Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 07-03-2003 11:21 AM
Strawberry via mail: planting date Tim B Edible Gardening 1 12-02-2003 04:55 AM