Old 23-09-2004, 04:40 PM
GeneS

Default Do these cheap water testers really work?

Has anyone tested one of these water testers to see
if they actually work?
http://www.onestopgardens.com/osg/ta...temnumber=3106

Unfortunately, it does not test dissolved oxygen, that is, the amount
of O2 in the water...

THANKS,
Gene

Old 23-09-2004, 05:32 PM
Rusty Mase

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 15:40:34 GMT, "GeneS"
wrote:

Has anyone tested one of these water testers to see
if they actually work?

No, for that price they cannot work reliably.

Unfortunately, it does not test dissolved oxygen..........

I'd wager it does not test for anything except whether the battery
still has life to it. For instance the drinking water standard for
mercury is 2 micrograms per liter and there are no $15 water testers
that will touch the level of accuracy needed to determine that.

Rusty Mase
Old 24-09-2004, 03:57 PM
dt

wrote:

Has anyone tested one of these water testers to see
if they actually work?

No, for that price they cannot work reliably.

Unfortunately, it does not test dissolved oxygen..........

I'd wager it does not test for anything except whether the battery
still has life to it. For instance the drinking water standard for
mercury is 2 micrograms per liter and there are no $15 water testers
that will touch the level of accuracy needed to determine that.

I'd be real surprised if it tested *anything* in three seconds, except
the battery, like Rusty said.

Also, I noticed when I clicked on your link, at the bottom of the
browser window it says "Transferring data from harborfreight.com".
That's got to tell us something. ;-)

DT
http://www.thehungersite.com/
Old 24-09-2004, 07:23 PM
GeneS

I have nothing whatsoever to do with Harbor Freight -
just buy a lot of their cheap stuff :-)

Gene

Old 24-09-2004, 08:32 PM
Rusty Mase

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 18:23:52 GMT, "GeneS"
wrote:

I have nothing whatsoever to do with Harbor Freight -
just buy a lot of their cheap stuff :-)

No, the website downloaded an ad from harborfreight. So it created a
sense of "guilt by association".

Rusty Mase

Old 27-09-2004, 02:29 PM
dt

wrote:

I have nothing whatsoever to do with Harbor Freight -
just buy a lot of their cheap stuff :-)

No, the website downloaded an ad from harborfreight. So it created a
sense of "guilt by association".

Oh, I buy quite a bit of their jun...uh, stuff, too: tarps, tire irons,
even a couple of cheap multimeters and a laser level. I'd just be real
suspicious of a Serious Instrument for that price. ;-)

DT
http://www.thehungersite.com/

Does boiling water really work? James Wilkinson United Kingdom 18 29-08-2016 09:30 PM
Work, Work, Work Hud Edible Gardening 21 10-05-2007 12:23 AM
[IBC] New Site Layout: Need testers please Nicolas Steenhout Bonsai 9 02-11-2004 01:49 AM
Glue really really really works? rtk Ponds 0 27-04-2003 12:08 PM
Soil testers Stuart Pedazzo Edible Gardening 3 05-04-2003 07:44 PM