Old 09-03-2005, 04:32 PM
John Baker

Default Need Tree Ideas...

I am planning on planting some flowering trees along a fence line. About
seven of them. I was thinking of crepe myrtles. I heard they can grow fast.

I was also thinking about planting some fruit trees along another fence
line. I was wondering if anyone has some good suggestions as to what fruits
grow well in Austin area.

Any ideas would be great. I'm not stuck on the crepe myrtles...i just want
some color and something that can grow higher than a 6 foot fence.

Thanks,
John

Old 10-03-2005, 01:14 AM
Gary Brady

John Baker wrote:

I was also thinking about planting some fruit trees along another fence
line. I was wondering if anyone has some good suggestions as to what fruits
grow well in Austin area.

Thanks,
John

Plums do well around here. Pretty easy to care for except for birds,
coons, and late frosts.

--
Gary Brady
Austin, TX

Old 11-03-2005, 06:10 AM
Carlos

I have had good luck with "Red Rocket" and "Dynamite" crepes.

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/e...pear/pear.html

http://www.schulznursery.com/Tipsmain.html#FruitTrees

Old 22-03-2005, 01:47 PM
John Baker

Well...here is what I have done.

After this past weekend...I planted two fruit trees, a Bonanza Dwarf Peach
and a Metheny Plum tree. As far as the fence line, well, i thought about the
fact that the myrtles wouldn't be so much an additional privacy fence, but
more trees and pretty flowers. So...since the budget is not ready for that
yet...i'll start thinking about blooming bushes, maybe something like
Oleander.

thanks for all the ideas and replies,

John

Old 22-03-2005, 07:06 PM
Tex John

If you don't trim it, Crapes will give you a bush. And cuttings are so easy
to root you can do a whole fenceline with just a few plants over a couple of
years.

Course Oleanders are supposed to be easy to root, too, and give a quicker
screen.

John
in Houston

Old 25-03-2005, 03:01 PM
Harold Robbins

Tex John wrote:

If you don't trim it, Crapes will give you a bush. And cuttings are so easy
to root you can do a whole fenceline with just a few plants over a couple of
years.

Course Oleanders are supposed to be easy to root, too, and give a quicker
screen.

Crepes will give you a bush or a tree. But if you want it to flower
well it still needs to be trimmed at the top and sides.

Oleanders are easy to root but they are poisonous to humans. Make sure
your children are old enough to understand not to chew on the stalks. A
family died painfully after using oleander stalks for barBQ skewers.

Harold

Old 25-03-2005, 03:22 PM
cat daddy

"Harold Robbins" wrote in message
m...

Tex John wrote:

If you don't trim it, Crapes will give you a bush. And cuttings are so

easy
to root you can do a whole fenceline with just a few plants over a

couple of
years.

Course Oleanders are supposed to be easy to root, too, and give a

quicker
screen.

Crepes will give you a bush or a tree. But if you want it to flower
well it still needs to be trimmed at the top and sides.

Oleanders are easy to root but they are poisonous to humans. Make sure
your children are old enough to understand not to chew on the stalks. A
family died painfully after using oleander stalks for barBQ skewers.

Urban Legends
http://www.snopes.com/horrors/poison/oleander.htm

"Origins: This sorrowful tale of the fatal poisoning by oleander sticks
used to roast treats over a campfire has been part of the urban legend canon
for decades...

A version of it appears in a gardening book published in England in 1886...

Though we've searched for news stories about such a tragedy, we haven't
found any, not even an account of a non-fatal poisoning. "

Old 25-03-2005, 04:08 PM
Harold Robbins

cat daddy wrote:

Oleanders are easy to root but they are poisonous to humans. Make sure
your children are old enough to understand not to chew on the stalks. A
family died painfully after using oleander stalks for barBQ skewers.

Urban Legends
http://www.snopes.com/horrors/poison/oleander.htm

"Origins: This sorrowful tale of the fatal poisoning by oleander sticks
used to roast treats over a campfire has been part of the urban legend canon
for decades...

A version of it appears in a gardening book published in England in 1886...

Though we've searched for news stories about such a tragedy, we haven't
found any, not even an account of a non-fatal poisoning. "

WARNING: Snopes is not credible. Do a google search and you will find
reports around the world about oleander poisoning. Snopes is and
interesting page but they are not credible and I would not place the
lives of human beings on the accuracy of their reports.

http://www.indegene.com/Main/Info/in...rPoisoning.asp

.... more than you wanted to know about oleander poisoning. ... Here is a
link that might be useful: british journal oleander poison ...
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/l...472313747.html

Here is a link to THe Harvard Medical School:

http://www.intelihealth.com/IH/ihtPr...=t&k=basePrint

Old 25-03-2005, 04:09 PM
Harold Robbins

Tex John wrote:

[...]

Here is a link the the Harvard Medical Journal: