Old 09-03-2005, 04:32 PM
John Baker

Default Need Tree Ideas...

I am planning on planting some flowering trees along a fence line. About
seven of them. I was thinking of crepe myrtles. I heard they can grow fast.

I was also thinking about planting some fruit trees along another fence
line. I was wondering if anyone has some good suggestions as to what fruits
grow well in Austin area.

Any ideas would be great. I'm not stuck on the crepe myrtles...i just want
some color and something that can grow higher than a 6 foot fence.

Thanks,
John

Old 09-03-2005, 06:48 PM
Tex John

The upkeep required on keeping Crapes in tree form is quite a chore, too.
And to get lots of flowers in the summer in Austin, you need to water them
every day.

However, if you are looking for screening rather than trees, they do make
very colorful and tall bushes! And you don't have to water them at all once
they are established...but at least a weekly dousing gave me some color.

John

"escape" wrote in message
On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 16:32:33 GMT, "John Baker" opined:

I am planning on planting some flowering trees along a fence line. About
seven of them. I was thinking of crepe myrtles. I heard they can grow

fast.

I was also thinking about planting some fruit trees along another fence
line. I was wondering if anyone has some good suggestions as to what

fruits
grow well in Austin area.

Any ideas would be great. I'm not stuck on the crepe myrtles...i just

want
some color and something that can grow higher than a 6 foot fence.

Thanks,
John

Fruit trees require pruning and maintenance, which is well worth it. I

have a
'Dixieland' peach tree. It has very low chill hour requirements (400), so

it
does well here and after three years I had a crop of 15 bushels last

summer.
Delicious fruit, but you do have to prune.

Low chill hours means that, the temperature of 45 degrees or less has to

last
for at least the recommended amount of chill hours. So, in other words, my

tree
variety of 'Dixieland' requires 400 hours of temperatures below or at 45

degrees
in order to set fruit.

I like Crepe myrtles, but they are not evergreen if you want a screen.

With
fruit, you get to eat what you grow, so I would direct you in that way,

but you
may not want the upkeep required.

Old 10-03-2005, 01:14 AM
Gary Brady

John Baker wrote:

I was also thinking about planting some fruit trees along another fence
line. I was wondering if anyone has some good suggestions as to what fruits
grow well in Austin area.

Thanks,
John

Plums do well around here. Pretty easy to care for except for birds,
coons, and late frosts.

--
Gary Brady
Austin, TX

Old 10-03-2005, 05:45 PM
Tex John

I said that. But you have way fewer flowers in the Summer if you don't water
them a lot. A trip through West Lake Hills in August is proof of that!

John

"escape" wrote in message
On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 18:48:51 GMT, "Tex John" opined:

The upkeep required on keeping Crapes in tree form is quite a chore, too.
And to get lots of flowers in the summer in Austin, you need to water

them
every day.

This is a myth. They do not require any pruning, ever. They are drought
resistant and can withstand a great period without water if mulched after

spring
rains. They are over watered if you water every day.

However, if you are looking for screening rather than trees, they do make
very colorful and tall bushes! And you don't have to water them at all

once
they are established...but at least a weekly dousing gave me some color.

John

"escape" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Need a good, cheap, knowledge expanding present for yourself or a

friend?

Old 11-03-2005, 02:26 AM
Tex John

I don't overwater mine and I rather hate pruning as an activity so mine
rarely get too much of either so don't expect me to push the nubby-look
viewpoint.

In Austin, when the plants go dormant in July and August, like most plants,
the Crapes quit growing and that includes new leaves and new flowers. Unless
you water them every day. I worked in a home-office of a rich fellow that
had his sprinkler system set just to water the Crapes every day even though
it was illegal (water rationing and all) (it was legal to water them by hand
each day, but Lord forbid that he would lift a hand! :) Him and his rich
neighbors had the most beautiful Crapes while mine in south Austin (as you
say, in MUCH better soil) got a little bare since I was doing the "water
once a week just to keep the St Augustine from dying". They still had
flowers mind you; they were just old and getting a bit crispy. Don't have
that problem here in Houston; everything grows just about all year long. (Oh
how I long for the dog days of summer where I only had to mow every other
week! Try 4-6 days here for a 'kept' look...)

As far as pruning, the OP said he wanted trees. The growth habit of Crapes
is more like Yaupon, Waxleaf Ligustrum or even Red Tipped Photinia. One huge
bush. Beautiful, especially when covered in bright pink flowers! The best
ones I've seen were just north of Columbus on an old farmstead fenceline:
easilly 25 feet tall and 20 feet around. No pruning, No watering. And who
knows how old. Back to pruning: they throw up so many suckers and they
back-bud so easilly, to keep a tree shape (by that I mean "one or more
trunks several inches thick and are visible") does take work and constant
attention. The suckers alone rob the entire upper portion of the tree of the
nutrients that would be going into the flowers which are now going into a
new sucker and ANOTHER trunk. And, yeah, once they get big, that
oh-so-natural nub look will have you looking into electric saws.

Wish I had a fence line to plant some on now.

Oh, and let's tell him about making babies. I keep left-over 6" or 1 gallon
pots, fill with whatever dirt or soil happens to be handy, and if I cut off
a nice shoot or branch, say pencil thick and two feet long, I stick a couple
in these pots then put them somewhere they will get watered with my other
plants. Next year, free Crapes! No muss, no fuss, no rooting hormone...just
stab them in. They are like Ficus around my house...pots of cuttings
everywhere!

John
in Houston

"escape" wrote in message
West Lake Hills is on one to four inches of soil, at the most. It is

mostly
limestone, caliche and other aggregates. In those instances, I would not

select
a Crape myrtle. I would have a whole different idea in mind. Then there

are
areas like mine where I have a minimum of 3 feet of soil before I hit

caliche.
I found that out when I dug the pool.

So, your "upkeep required" is what I took the liberty of correcting.

People DO
make the mistake of pruning to nubs the limbs of Crape's, but it is wholly
unnecessary, as you can see by the beautiful specimens outside the Barton
Springs Exhibit building by the pool. Magnificent muscles on those trees.

They
do not get that large if you prune them.

That's all I was saying.

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 17:45:54 GMT, "Tex John" opined:

I said that. But you have way fewer flowers in the Summer if you don't

water
them a lot. A trip through West Lake Hills in August is proof of that!

John

"escape" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

.. .

Old 11-03-2005, 06:10 AM
Carlos

I have had good luck with "Red Rocket" and "Dynamite" crepes.

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/e...pear/pear.html

http://www.schulznursery.com/Tipsmain.html#FruitTrees

Old 11-03-2005, 09:39 PM
Cindy

"Tex John" wrote in message
The upkeep required on keeping Crapes in tree form is quite a chore, too.
And to get lots of flowers in the summer in Austin, you need to water them
every day.

However, if you are looking for screening rather than trees, they do make
very colorful and tall bushes! And you don't have to water them at all
once
they are established...but at least a weekly dousing gave me some color.

John

And they have really pretty, interesting bark and trunk shapes when they
grow up.

Cindy

Old 14-03-2005, 11:11 PM

Wow. I never water mine--never have. And I get zillions of flowers for
a very long time.

Old 22-03-2005, 01:47 PM
John Baker

Well...here is what I have done.

After this past weekend...I planted two fruit trees, a Bonanza Dwarf Peach
and a Metheny Plum tree. As far as the fence line, well, i thought about the
fact that the myrtles wouldn't be so much an additional privacy fence, but
more trees and pretty flowers. So...since the budget is not ready for that
yet...i'll start thinking about blooming bushes, maybe something like
Oleander.

thanks for all the ideas and replies,

John

Old 22-03-2005, 07:06 PM
Tex John

If you don't trim it, Crapes will give you a bush. And cuttings are so easy
to root you can do a whole fenceline with just a few plants over a couple of
years.

Course Oleanders are supposed to be easy to root, too, and give a quicker
screen.

John
in Houston

Old 25-03-2005, 03:01 PM
Harold Robbins

Tex John wrote:

If you don't trim it, Crapes will give you a bush. And cuttings are so easy
to root you can do a whole fenceline with just a few plants over a couple of
years.

Course Oleanders are supposed to be easy to root, too, and give a quicker
screen.

Crepes will give you a bush or a tree. But if you want it to flower
well it still needs to be trimmed at the top and sides.

Oleanders are easy to root but they are poisonous to humans. Make sure
your children are old enough to understand not to chew on the stalks. A
family died painfully after using oleander stalks for barBQ skewers.

Harold

Old 25-03-2005, 03:22 PM
cat daddy

"Harold Robbins" wrote in message
m...

Tex John wrote:

If you don't trim it, Crapes will give you a bush. And cuttings are so

easy
to root you can do a whole fenceline with just a few plants over a

couple of
years.

Course Oleanders are supposed to be easy to root, too, and give a

quicker
screen.

Crepes will give you a bush or a tree. But if you want it to flower
well it still needs to be trimmed at the top and sides.

Oleanders are easy to root but they are poisonous to humans. Make sure
your children are old enough to understand not to chew on the stalks. A
family died painfully after using oleander stalks for barBQ skewers.

Urban Legends
http://www.snopes.com/horrors/poison/oleander.htm

"Origins: This sorrowful tale of the fatal poisoning by oleander sticks
used to roast treats over a campfire has been part of the urban legend canon
for decades...

A version of it appears in a gardening book published in England in 1886...

Though we've searched for news stories about such a tragedy, we haven't
found any, not even an account of a non-fatal poisoning. "

Old 25-03-2005, 04:08 PM
Harold Robbins

cat daddy wrote:

Oleanders are easy to root but they are poisonous to humans. Make sure
your children are old enough to understand not to chew on the stalks. A
family died painfully after using oleander stalks for barBQ skewers.

Urban Legends
http://www.snopes.com/horrors/poison/oleander.htm

"Origins: This sorrowful tale of the fatal poisoning by oleander sticks
used to roast treats over a campfire has been part of the urban legend canon
for decades...

A version of it appears in a gardening book published in England in 1886...

Though we've searched for news stories about such a tragedy, we haven't
found any, not even an account of a non-fatal poisoning. "

WARNING: Snopes is not credible. Do a google search and you will find
reports around the world about oleander poisoning. Snopes is and
interesting page but they are not credible and I would not place the
lives of human beings on the accuracy of their reports.

http://www.indegene.com/Main/Info/in...rPoisoning.asp

.... more than you wanted to know about oleander poisoning. ... Here is a
link that might be useful: british journal oleander poison ...
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/l...472313747.html

Here is a link to THe Harvard Medical School:

http://www.intelihealth.com/IH/ihtPr...=t&k=basePrint

Old 25-03-2005, 04:09 PM
Harold Robbins

Tex John wrote:

[...]

Here is a link the the Harvard Medical Journal:

Old 26-03-2005, 07:01 AM
jOhN

Elliot Richmond wrote:
On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 16:08:35 GMT, Harold Robbins
wrote:

WARNING: Snopes is not credible. Do a google search and you will find
reports around the world about oleander poisoning. Snopes is and
interesting page but they are not credible and I would not place the
lives of human beings on the accuracy of their reports.

On the contrary, Snopes is very credible.

Neither Snopes nor anyone else is questioning the toxicity of
oleander. The Snopes article was ONLY about the urban legend of a
family or Boy Scout troop or whoever suffering fatal poisoning after
toasting stuff on a fire using oleander sticks. All of the sources you
give affirm the toxicity of oleander, but none of them mention this
incident.

Elliot Richmond
Freelance Science Writer and Editor

Trust a darn science writer to make us stick with the facts..... ;-)