Old 19-03-2005, 12:54 AM
jOhN

Default Now that the 2005 season is really going

Proof of the new season is in my sunburn ;-)

Lots of folks have suggested innovative and progressive garden
centers/nurseries in times past but nothing stays completely static.

Where are the non-standard and interesting garden offerings so far this
year? All the Walmart, Home Depots, Lowes, etc. stuff is pretty cookie
cutter with a few occasional exceptions.

I went by Red Barn on Ponds Springs this Thursday at 2pm but the cars
were waiting in the road for parking.........maybe I should wait for the
next thunderstorm
Old 19-03-2005, 05:57 PM
Katra

In article ,
escape wrote:

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 00:54:18 GMT, jOhN opined:

Proof of the new season is in my sunburn ;-)

Lots of folks have suggested innovative and progressive garden
centers/nurseries in times past but nothing stays completely static.

Where are the non-standard and interesting garden offerings so far this
year? All the Walmart, Home Depots, Lowes, etc. stuff is pretty cookie
cutter with a few occasional exceptions.

I went by Red Barn on Ponds Springs this Thursday at 2pm but the cars
were waiting in the road for parking.........maybe I should wait for the
next thunderstorm

Barton Springs Garden Center
Gardens
Natural Gardener
Old Thyme Gardens
The Great Outdoors
Tex Zen Garden Center
Big Red Sun

You forgot "It's About Thyme" over on Manchaca. ;-)
They even have 1 gallon artichokes.....

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

There is no need to change the world. All we have to do is toilet train the world and we'll never have to change it again. -- Swami Beyondanada

Old 19-03-2005, 07:24 PM
Cindy

Where are the non-standard and interesting garden offerings so far this
year? All the Walmart, Home Depots, Lowes, etc. stuff is pretty cookie
cutter with a few occasional exceptions.

How about in Houston? Anybody know?

Cindy

Old 20-03-2005, 08:24 PM
jOhN

escape wrote:
A center which thinks and provides plants out of the ordinary dull box selection
you find in chain stores.

I recently read there are 4000 wildflower varieties in Texas. Of course,
many of them are not suited for Central Texas. However, it should give
one an idea that many of the chain stores' selection of maybe a couple
of dozen flowering annual species and a dozen flowering perennials is
extremely limited in scope.

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 23:29:39 GMT, "Carlos" opined:

What is a progressive garden center pray tell?

.com...

Old 21-03-2005, 12:25 AM
Rusty Mase

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 20:24:29 GMT, jOhN
wrote:

I recently read there are 4000 wildflower varieties in Texas. Of course,
many of them are not suited for Central Texas.

The number usually mentioned is "almost 5,000 species of vascular
plants" and thus would include lots of things not considered wild
flowers. But that would still add up to a whole lot. These are of
course spread out across a really diverse series of landscapes - from
alpine to (almost) tropical. Areas with less than 8" annual rainfall
to those with nearly 60" of annual rainfall.

But even then, you can imagine that Austin is "native" to a thousand
or more plant species and numerous hundreds of those would be
attractive enough to include in your landscape. So it is a matter of
logistics as to how many of those are down at your local plant
nursery. Up until about 20 years ago, very few true native species
were commercially available. So the plant materials industry has come
a long way.

Rusty Mase
Old 21-03-2005, 03:32 PM
Rusty Mase

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 14:51:52 GMT, escape
wrote:

For example, as of 2003 and not updated to add new varieties and species, this
is my plant list:

Excellent list, botanical garden qualification.

I have one you are missing (you have several hundred I am missing) is
Mejorana or Shrubby Blue Sage (Salvia ballotaeflora) and I do not see
this one at local nurseries. It has never set seed so I would need to
root cuttings and I need to do that before my one mature shrub dies -
although I have had it for nearly 30 years.

Rusty Mase
Old 21-03-2005, 10:39 PM
Rusty Mase

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 21:31:06 GMT, escape
wrote:

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 09:32:48 -0600, Rusty Mase opined:

Salvia ballotaeflora)

I found a webpage with a pretty good photo of the flower.

http://www.nps.gov/amis/nr_profile/wild1_guide.htm

Yes, and there is a nice photo in Enquist's "Wildflowers of the Texas
Hill County". I not seen it growing naturally around here but only
further south in the South Texas Brush Country.

Rusty Mase