Old 07-04-2005, 02:55 AM
Carlos

Default Agave question

I have a large old agave that is blooming, or whatever it is called. Huge
stalk. So, will the plan die now? Luckily there are some babies underneath,
but will they be hurt?

Old 07-04-2005, 03:13 AM
Victor Martinez

Carlos wrote:
I have a large old agave that is blooming, or whatever it is called. Huge
stalk. So, will the plan die now? Luckily there are some babies underneath,
but will they be hurt?

Yes, it will die after the bloom is spent.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 07-04-2005, 03:49 AM
Cindy

It will die, and the babies will grow up.

Old 07-04-2005, 03:53 AM
Carlos

"Victor Martinez" wrote in message
news the bloom is spent.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Thanks you Victor.

Old 07-04-2005, 08:43 AM
Katra

In article
,
"Carlos" wrote:

"Victor Martinez" wrote in message
news the bloom is spent.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he
Email me he

Thanks you Victor.

Question, if one were to cut the bloom stalk out before it bloomed,
would the agave plant continue to live???
--
K.

Sprout the MungBean to reply

"I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell‹you
see, I have friends in both places." --Mark Twain

Old 07-04-2005, 12:44 PM
Victor Martinez

Katra wrote:
Question, if one were to cut the bloom stalk out before it bloomed,
would the agave plant continue to live???

Nope. It will die and you won't get to enjoy the bloom.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 08-04-2005, 02:46 AM

Wow I saw this agave stalk thing 1st time today. Damn! No wonder it kills
the cactus.

Plants are just weird man.

Old 08-04-2005, 03:11 AM
Katra

In article ,
"s" wrote:

Wow I saw this agave stalk thing 1st time today. Damn! No wonder it kills
the cactus.

Plants are just weird man.

Honestly, has anyone ever tried chopping it out to see if they can
prevent plant death????

Old 08-04-2005, 03:13 AM
Victor Martinez

Katra wrote:
Honestly, has anyone ever tried chopping it out to see if they can
prevent plant death????

No need to try it, by the time you can see the stalk, it's too late. The
plant has entered its dying cycle.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 08-04-2005, 04:33 PM
Victor Martinez

s wrote:
What determines when this happens? Is it random? Is it rainfall?

I'm pretty sure it's a combination of things, but most definitely
influenced by age. When they reach a certain age and the weather is
favorable, they bloom and die.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 08-04-2005, 07:42 PM
Cindy

s wrote:
What determines when this happens? Is it random? Is it rainfall?

I'm pretty sure it's a combination of things, but most definitely
influenced by age. When they reach a certain age and the weather is
favorable, they bloom and die.

But they leave their pretty babies, and you can separate them and move them
if you want.

Old 08-04-2005, 08:23 PM
Victor Martinez

Cindy wrote:
But they leave their pretty babies, and you can separate them and move them
if you want.

We'll soon have dozens of baby agaves for several species that need to
be repotted. I'll post the info so y'all can get some.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 09-04-2005, 04:40 PM
Cowboy

Victor Martinez wrote:
Cindy wrote:

But they leave their pretty babies, and you can separate them and move
them if you want.

We'll soon have dozens of baby agaves for several species that need to
be repotted. I'll post the info so y'all can get some.

Please do - I'd love to get some.

One of the first things I ever remember is a story of my dad planting
"century plants" when he was young at his parents old homestead. I drove
through there a few years back, and the descendants of those agave are
still there - perhaps even some of the ones he planted are still around.

They call them century plants because it takes so long for some of the
bigger varieties to reach maturity and bloom. I don't think any actually
take a hundred years, consistant across the variety anyway, but they can
take 20, 30 40 years or more, so I guess it's possible.

Cowboy

Agave advice ?? Novaa Australia 0 25-10-2003 04:02 AM
Agave parryi v. truncata edmund Ponds (alternative) 0 17-07-2003 07:02 PM
Agave pups? Whit Texas 2 05-04-2003 11:09 AM
help on Agave ÑödD¥ Australia 1 05-04-2003 06:34 AM
Agave in UK Winter [email protected] United Kingdom 0 09-12-2002 04:26 AM