Old 11-04-2005, 02:50 AM
ceed

Default Wooden tomato stakes.

Hi,

I used to buy simple 5 (or 6?) feet long 1x1 inch wooden tomato stakes at
places like Home Depot and even Wal-Mart. They came in bundles of 9 as far
as I remember. This year they look at me as if I am asking for something
totally out of the ordinary when I enquire about them. They now stock all
kinds of fancy plastic stakes and metal cages, but the good 'ol wooden
stakes are nowhere to be found. At least I do not know where to find them
now. I live in Round Rock north of Austin and was wondering if anyone know
where I may be able to get hold of the ancient wooden tomato stakes.
Please do not try to convince me some of these new staking methods are
better, I am sure they are, but I need the old wooden ones for some
special tomato growing containers I have been using for years.

Anyone?

--
//ceed
Old 11-04-2005, 05:29 AM

Ceed,

Did you check at the contractor desk of Home Depot or Lowes (if you have
them)? They can pull out the catalog.

Austin is not forest country. However, sawmills sometime will give away the
trim where they finish lumber.

Highway crews in Louisiana use the 1 X 2 stakes to mark off road borders for
road repairs, so if they use them in Texas, they have to be getting them in
bulk somewhere.

If worse comes to worse, you can get some 1X 2 rough trim in 8 ' lengths at
Home Depot or another large lumber outlet, and cut them to the length you
want. Politicians used to use them for signs they put in people's yards.
(In fact,
I arranged with a politicians campaign office to pick up all their signs in
a square mile area once, and screwed them to trees in Black Bayou Lake for
hanging yoyos.)

If this info doesn't help, let me know and I'll do some checking.

"ceed"
ceed@abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzabcdefghijklmnopqr stuvwxyzabcdefghijk.com

Old 11-04-2005, 06:09 AM
Cindy

I arranged with a politicians campaign office to pick up all their signs
in a square mile area once, and screwed them to trees in Black Bayou Lake
for hanging yoyos.)

I have to ask, why did you hang yoyos? The yoyos kids play with on strings?

Cindy

Old 14-04-2005, 03:21 PM

Cindy,

As used for fishing, a yoyo is a little contraption with a string wrapped
around a coiled spring and a triggering device.
A fixed string, at the top, is tied to a limb (or stick, attached to a
tree). At the bottom, another string is pulled out two to four feet --
tightening the coil spring -- and a small trigger is set. When a fish takes
the bait, the device is
triggered and the fish is hooked. They are illegal in some states and have
to be 'supervised' in others. In Louisiana, fish are plentiful, however,
and catfish can be caught on yoyos year round.

When set properly, the fish's head is not pulled out of the water, so it can
remain alive until brought into the
fisherman's boat.

. ..

Old 14-04-2005, 11:56 PM
ceed

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 23:29:43 -0500, g wrote:

[...]

Thank you for all your advice. However, I did finally find bamboo stakes
at Home Depot. They were 6 feet tall. Got those, so for now: Problem
solved!

Old 14-06-2005, 03:28 AM
B.Server

I drove by a pile of cut bamboo on the north side of 45th between
Burnet Rd and MoPac. In my experience, bamboo will outlast most wood
in contact with water and soil. My guess is that the property is not
in love with them and I know that the city will not collect bamboo.

Just a thought.

cheers,

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 20:50:53 -0500, ceed

Old 14-06-2005, 05:38 PM
ceed

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 21:28:43 -0500, B.Server
wrote:

I drove by a pile of cut bamboo on the north side of 45th between
Burnet Rd and MoPac. In my experience, bamboo will outlast most wood
in contact with water and soil. My guess is that the property is not
in love with them and I know that the city will not collect bamboo.
Just a thought.

Thanks. I actually found bamboo stakes at Lowe's a couple of weeks after
my initial posting. They seem to work fine.

--
//ceed

tomato stakes Allview Gardening 21 10-07-2003 06:09 PM
Treated wood for stakes... Nonya North Carolina 2 02-06-2003 10:56 PM
Tomato cages or stakes? Wayfarer Texas 6 05-04-2003 11:11 AM
Tomato cages or stakes? Wayfarer Texas 6 11-03-2003 04:57 PM
Tomato cages or stakes? Wayfarer Texas 0 09-03-2003 01:39 AM