Old 23-04-2005, 12:02 AM
Tammy

Default Dewberries

Hello,

When I was a kid, I used to pick dewberries near my country home near
Victoria. My Mom would make dewberry cobbler with them.

I've lived out of the state for about ten years, and I've been back for
a few months. My mom is coming to visit next weekend, and I sooooo
want to surprise her with some dewberries. I know it's getting to be
the perfect time of year for them.

Does anyone know where a good area to find dewberries is? I live in
Cedar Park, and I'm thinking that I'll just find some rural roads, and
look along the fence line. I just know that I'm going to look in all
the wrong places, because I want this too much. Any tips?

Thanks,
Tammy

Old 23-04-2005, 02:39 AM
Katra

In article .com,
"Tammy" wrote:

Hello,

When I was a kid, I used to pick dewberries near my country home near
Victoria. My Mom would make dewberry cobbler with them.

I've lived out of the state for about ten years, and I've been back for
a few months. My mom is coming to visit next weekend, and I sooooo
want to surprise her with some dewberries. I know it's getting to be
the perfect time of year for them.

Does anyone know where a good area to find dewberries is? I live in
Cedar Park, and I'm thinking that I'll just find some rural roads, and
look along the fence line. I just know that I'm going to look in all
the wrong places, because I want this too much. Any tips?

Thanks,
Tammy

Most dewberry patches are ready about May 1st. ;-)
And most patches are already well staked out by locals!

My mom and I used to find MANY dewberry's out in the oil fields around
the Gonzales area. You are just going to have to drive around in the
back fields and get lucky. ;-)

There is a protected, pretty much unstaked field out in the wealthy
housing development in seguin where people have aircraft hangers.

Your BEST bet will be to look around on line for live canes and get your
own patch started.

That's more or less what I did, but I'm growing thornless blackberries
instead.

Happy hunting!!!
--
K.

Sprout the MungBean to reply

"I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell‹you
see, I have friends in both places." --Mark Twain
Old 23-04-2005, 05:19 AM
Victor Martinez

Tammy wrote:
Does anyone know where a good area to find dewberries is? I live in

I've seen them at CM, I think...

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 23-04-2005, 09:48 PM
Cowboy

Tammy wrote:
Hello,

When I was a kid, I used to pick dewberries near my country home near
Victoria. My Mom would make dewberry cobbler with them.

I've lived out of the state for about ten years, and I've been back for
a few months. My mom is coming to visit next weekend, and I sooooo
want to surprise her with some dewberries. I know it's getting to be
the perfect time of year for them.

Does anyone know where a good area to find dewberries is? I live in
Cedar Park, and I'm thinking that I'll just find some rural roads, and
look along the fence line. I just know that I'm going to look in all
the wrong places, because I want this too much. Any tips?

Thanks,
Tammy

They grow profusely along fences and railroad tracks in the
Bastrop/Smithville area. Take 71 to Bastrop, turn South on 304 towards
Gonzales, then back East on 535 (there's another road before that to the
North, can't remember name). These roads travel along railroad tracks -
any of the dirt roads crossing the tracks are likely areas to cruise.

We ived on 150 acres in Kovar area for two years and the place was
covered in Dewberries. My wife made cakes, cobblers, pies, and froze
them for later.

Sure miss that.

Cowboy
Old 24-04-2005, 02:58 AM
Tammy

Great! Thanks for all of your replies. I've definitely got some
places to check now.

Old 25-04-2005, 07:03 AM
Robbin

Be careful -- the rattlesnakes are also in season now. I've killed two in
two weeks!

ups.com...

Old 25-04-2005, 02:13 PM
Katra

Good warning...

Good hiking boots and wear plastic snake guards!
Heaven knows guards are cheap enough.

In article , "Robbin"
wrote:

Be careful -- the rattlesnakes are also in season now. I've killed two in
two weeks!

ups.com...

Old 14-05-2005, 07:38 PM
Bill W

I picked some last week in San Antonio beside the railroad tracks at Loop
1604 and Lookout Road. Got a good case of chiggers too!

wrote:

Be careful -- the rattlesnakes are also in season now. I've killed two

in
two weeks!

"Tammy" wrote in message
ups.com...
Great! Thanks for all of your replies. I've definitely got some
places to check now.

--
K.

Sprout the MungBean to reply

"I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell see, I have friends

in both places." --Mark Twain

Dewberries Mary[_6_] Texas 0 12-05-2007 11:34 PM
Mmm, Dewberries hayduke Texas 0 03-05-2004 07:04 PM
Mmm, Dewberries, was 8 ft tall pencil cactus God Bless Texas Texas 1 03-05-2004 11:02 AM