Old 08-05-2005, 05:41 PM
Christopher

Default Lilac Bushes

Does anyone know where I can find any lilac bushes? Not much luck with Home
Depot, etc. Had one in Abilene and it grew real big and fragrant; blooming
twice a year, in April and October... Would like to have a couple for the
back yard, I live out in the country in the Cedar Creek area.
Please post here; thanks!

--
"Hey Babe, take a walk on the wild side" -Lou Reed

Old 08-05-2005, 06:56 PM
Victor Martinez

Christopher wrote:
Does anyone know where I can find any lilac bushes? Not much luck with Home

I don't think lilacs do well here in Central Texas, that's probably why
you don't see them for sale.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 09-05-2005, 04:40 AM
jOhN

Victor Martinez wrote:
Christopher wrote:

Does anyone know where I can find any lilac bushes? Not much luck
with Home

I don't think lilacs do well here in Central Texas, that's probably why
you don't see them for sale.

We had a dwarf lilac for several years that grew okay the first 4-5
years then it croaked this last winter. I agree that this climate will
be a stretch for those heat hating plants.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:41 AM
Christopher

I surmised as much; that's probably why I can't find any. thanks for your
replies!
-christopher

"jOhN" wrote in message
.. .

Old 12-05-2005, 07:37 AM
Katra

In article ,
"Christopher" wrote:

I surmised as much; that's probably why I can't find any. thanks for your
replies!
-christopher

Japanese ligustrum (Privett) are related.
The flowers are white and they bloom in the spring...

and smell fabulous.

Some folks on this list are gonna kill me again for offering these,
but you can have all you want for free if you want to come and dig them
up!

E-mail me if you are interested! I'll even provide the pots and soil.

I've not gotten around to potting up all of the babies in the yard yet,
so there are plenty!

I plan to make a nice hedge out front with them and keep them pruned
down to 6 ft.

Katra at centurytel dot net
--
K.

Sprout the MungBean to reply

"I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell‹you
see, I have friends in both places." --Mark Twain

Old 12-05-2005, 09:53 PM
Kathleen

Mine are thriving!! I discovered on one of my walks down the road that my
neighbors have made a wonderful privacy fence out of ligustrum and they
smell fabulous!
Thanks again Katra!
Kathleen, who also misses the lilac bushes that she grew up with
--
If a man is called to be a streetsweeper
He should sweep streets

Old 13-05-2005, 06:29 AM
Katra

In article ,
"Kathleen" wrote:

Mine are thriving!! I discovered on one of my walks down the road that my
neighbors have made a wonderful privacy fence out of ligustrum and they
smell fabulous!
Thanks again Katra!
Kathleen, who also misses the lilac bushes that she grew up with
--

Oh cool! :-)
I'm glad to know that they survived for you...

Did the confederate jasmine survive?
I've never tried to propagate it before.

Old 13-05-2005, 01:42 PM
Kathleen

I'm not sure... The stuff that we got from out in front of your place
didn't live.
Everything else looks good!
Wiht hope and heart,
Kathleen

Old 13-05-2005, 10:35 PM
Katra

Ooh, sorry. :-(

I'll have to get some low pots out and try air layering it then.
I'd hoped the roots I ripped out would survive.

I've had to remove a LOT of it over the years when it spread where I did
not want it! lol

Cheers!
Kat

Old 03-06-2005, 09:02 PM
dt

Try looking for something called "vitex". Lots of them blooming around
Austin right now. These things get huge, my mom used to have some that
were 10-12' tall.

http://www.plantanswers.com/vitex.htm

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/cemap/vitex/

DT

Carlos wrote:

There is something referred to as a "Texas Lilac". Forgot the real name. Not
crepe myrtle.

. ..

http://www.thehungersite.com/
Old 04-06-2005, 12:33 AM
Katra

In article
,
"Carlos" wrote:

There is something referred to as a "Texas Lilac". Forgot the real name. Not
crepe myrtle.

Japanese ligustrum (privett) is related to the lilac.
They are blooming right now and smell heavenly!

They can grow into 50' trees, or if you keep them brutally pruned down,
they will continue to sprout a number of suckers from the base and
produce a nice hedge bush.

Some consider them a pest but I love them. If they over-produce, the
initial root systems are shallow (not like baby pecan and hackberry
weeds!) so they are easy to pull up for weed control.

I'm still giving young ones away if anyone wants them! :-)

They are hardy and require little water, altho' regular watering will
make them grow faster just like any other baby tree...

I wonder how these would do on ebay? lol

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

There is no need to change the world. All we have to do is toilet train the world and we'll never have to change it again. -- Swami Beyondanada

Old 04-06-2005, 12:19 PM
Kathleen

A friend recently sent me some info on "Descanso Hybrids".
http://www.sunset.com/sunset/Premium...s297/Lilacs297.
html
The first low-chill lilac, called 'Lavender Lady', was developed in Southern
California 30 years ago by Walter Lammerts, a researcher and hybridizer with
Rancho del Descanso--a former wholesale nursery that's now the site of
Descanso Gardens, a botanical garden open to the public. "Walter was an
excellent hybridizer," says Bob Boddy, son of the nursery's owner. "He came
up with a progeny of 350 potentially outstanding low-chill lilacs." Although
many varieties of lilacs are sometimes attributed to Lammerts, 'Lavender
Lady' and 'Angel White' were his only direct creations.

I am about to try this company for some lilac bushes:
lilacs that you can grow in Zone 9 http://www.spi.8m.com/

With hope and heart,
Kathleen

Old 05-06-2005, 06:03 PM
jOhN

Kathleen wrote:
[...]

SNIP
Cool, my wife has childhood memories of lilacs that must be assuaged!
Old 06-06-2005, 11:44 AM
Kathleen

[...]

I do too!
With hope and heart,
Kathleen

Neglected lilac bushes FragileWarrior Gardening 3 12-01-2007 02:25 AM
Lilac bushes Romy Beeck Gardening 9 03-12-2003 08:32 PM
Datura metel 'La fleur lilac' cultivation Trevor Appleton United Kingdom 1 27-04-2003 12:32 PM
lilac Susan Gillispie North Carolina 4 01-04-2003 02:34 AM
Dwarf Lilac - seem to have killed it? Rosie United Kingdom 3 26-11-2002 12:50 AM