Old 28-07-2005, 03:28 PM
H Ryder

Default ivy

I've got lots of dark green, wild, common ivy in the garden. I sprayed it
all well with ivy killer a couple of weeks back but nothing seems to have
happened. Any suggestions? TIA
Hayley

Old 28-07-2005, 05:14 PM
Mike Lyle

H Ryder wrote:
I've got lots of dark green, wild, common ivy in the garden. I
sprayed it all well with ivy killer a couple of weeks back but
nothing seems to have happened. Any suggestions? TIA
Hayley

It's a bit hard to weedkill it, as the leaves are water-resistant.
But it isn't very hard to pull it up thoroughly, though it'll take a
few attempts to get rid of the lot. I'd do it by hand: it's easier
and less dangerous to your health. If you've got thick trunks hugging
a wall, cut through them as low down as possible: you can paint the
cut ends with SBK if you like, but I'd prefer to hoick them out if
possible.

--
Mike.

Old 28-07-2005, 05:27 PM
Mike

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
H Ryder wrote:
I've got lots of dark green, wild, common ivy in the garden. I
sprayed it all well with ivy killer a couple of weeks back but
nothing seems to have happened. Any suggestions? TIA
Hayley

It's a bit hard to weedkill it, as the leaves are water-resistant.
But it isn't very hard to pull it up thoroughly, though it'll take a
few attempts to get rid of the lot. I'd do it by hand: it's easier
and less dangerous to your health. If you've got thick trunks hugging
a wall, cut through them as low down as possible: you can paint the
cut ends with SBK if you like, but I'd prefer to hoick them out if
possible.

--
Mike.

If you do spray them or paint the leaves with SBK or any other weedkiller,
mix Engine Oil with the mixture as this helps the liquid to stick to the
leaves. This is always advisable on a systemic killer.

Mike
The other one

Old 28-07-2005, 06:18 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "H Ryder" contains these words:

I've got lots of dark green, wild, common ivy in the garden. I sprayed it
all well with ivy killer a couple of weeks back but nothing seems to have
happened. Any suggestions? TIA

I'd have thought you'd have to wait longer than that.

If it doesn't work, either cut the leaves a bit by giving it a good
hiding with a length of old electric cable, then spray it with
glyphosate.

Put a little washing-up liquid into the weedkiller because ivy leaves
don't wet easily.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 29-07-2005, 01:10 PM
Hazel

H Ryder wrote:
I've got lots of dark green, wild, common ivy in the garden. I
sprayed it all well with ivy killer a couple of weeks back but
nothing seems to have happened. Any suggestions? TIA
Hayley

It's a bit hard to weedkill it, as the leaves are water-resistant.
But it isn't very hard to pull it up thoroughly, though it'll take a
few attempts to get rid of the lot. I'd do it by hand: it's easier
and less dangerous to your health. If you've got thick trunks hugging
a wall, cut through them as low down as possible: you can paint the
cut ends with SBK if you like, but I'd prefer to hoick them out if
possible.

--
Mike.

Nice tip Mike, I have been useing wallpaper paste to make it stay put, but
the oil is going to be easier

Hazel

Old 05-08-2005, 04:25 AM
Hazel

H Ryder wrote:
[...]

I sprayed an ivy today, I used the oil tip, but used cooking oil, then shook
up the mixture to produce an emulsion.

Hazel

Ivy, Ivy & more ivy Roger Tonkin[_2_] United Kingdom 6 08-07-2016 09:48 PM
To ivy or not to ivy, that's the question? TimLondon United Kingdom 15 07-05-2013 06:08 PM
IVY IVY IVY JCYates United Kingdom 15 28-08-2008 11:22 AM
poisen ivy--scotts roundup poisen ivy ilaboo Lawns 4 06-06-2008 12:52 AM
Getting rid of ivy? Andy Gardening 2 17-02-2003 06:03 PM