Old 28-07-2005, 03:43 PM
Klara

Default Sad postscript to cherries for free

Came across an article about fruit trees in Hungary. Apparently in the
first half of the last century fruit trees were planted along many roads
in Hungary, on the principle that if there were to be trees anyway, they
might as well bring some refreshment to the (at the time) foot-weary
traveller.

Someone was asking: what happened to the trees? Seems that those that
survived were grubbed up, for three sad reasons: First, because even
though at the time they bore excellent fruit without much intervention,
they would now need heavy spraying to achieve the same. Second, because
of the exhaust, which would contaminate the fruit. And third, because
were a single caterpillar to fall on the top of a lorry, it would no
longer be allowed across national borders.

So, no more cherries for free (or plums, or peaches, or apples, or,
apparently, mulberries....)

--
Klara, Gatwick basin
Old 28-07-2005, 05:08 PM
Bob Hobden

"Klara" wrote ...

[...]

Well I've seen both Apricot trees and Grape vines planted on roundabouts in
SW France. Their roundabouts and roads, even country ones, do make ours look
so unkempt and shabby.

--
Regards
Bob

Old 28-07-2005, 05:23 PM
Stephen Howard

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 17:08:42 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Klara" wrote ...

[...]

I think it's worth mentioning that, round here at least, around our
unkempt and shabby roads can be found apples, crab apples, hazelnuts,
redcurrants, sloes, damsons, rose hips, elderberries, blackberries,
raspberries and wild strawberries.

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Old 28-07-2005, 07:56 PM
shazzbat

"Klara" wrote in message

[...]

When I was stationed near Osnabruck in northern Germany in the 70s, there
were a couple of roads near us where the cherries were there and everyone
helped themselves to them. We first discovered them when we came round a
bend in the road, and several cars were parked under the trees with people
standing on the car roofs picking the cherries. We joined them, natch. I
almost felt sorry for the people with the newish car who didn't want to
spoil it by standing on the roof.

Almost :-))

Steve

Old 28-07-2005, 08:26 PM
Mike Lyle

shazzbat wrote:
[...]
When I was stationed near Osnabruck in northern Germany in the 70s,
there were a couple of roads near us where the cherries were there
and everyone helped themselves to them. We first discovered them

when
we came round a bend in the road, and several cars were parked

under
the trees with people standing on the car roofs picking the
cherries. We joined them, natch. I almost felt sorry for the people
with the newish car who didn't want to spoil it by standing on the
roof.

Almost :-))

Steve

So what's wrong with German blackbirds, then?

--
Mike.

Old 29-07-2005, 11:24 PM
shazzbat

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
shazzbat wrote:
[...]
When I was stationed near Osnabruck in northern Germany in the 70s,
there were a couple of roads near us where the cherries were there
and everyone helped themselves to them. We first discovered them

when
we came round a bend in the road, and several cars were parked

under
the trees with people standing on the car roofs picking the
cherries. We joined them, natch. I almost felt sorry for the people
with the newish car who didn't want to spoil it by standing on the
roof.

Almost :-))

Steve

So what's wrong with German blackbirds, then?

--

Errr, nothing as far as I know.

(shrugs)

Old 30-07-2005, 12:06 AM
Mike Lyle

shazzbat wrote:
"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
shazzbat wrote:
[...]
[...]

So why don't they eat all the cherries before people can get their
hands on them? That's what upstanding British birds (cue patriotic
music) do.

--
Mike.