Old 31-07-2005, 04:42 PM
Mike Lyle

Default When to prune bamboo

dave wrote:
We have a bamboo plant that is now a spectacular 15 feet high. It's
been growing there for 4 years. I'd like to prune some of the sides
shoots as it growing over the path. At what time of year is best to
do this and whereabouts on the plant in relation to the "joints"?

As
you can tell, I'm no gardener :-) and don't want to ruin the plant.
Thank you.

Just chop 'em out, any time, anywhere on the plant. If you want to
cut roots out to propagate the plant, I think you do it in March (?).

--
Mike.

Old 31-07-2005, 11:15 PM
Pam Moore

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 15:08:49 GMT, dave wrote:

We have a bamboo plant that is now a spectacular 15 feet high. It's been growing
there for 4 years. I'd like to prune some of the sides shoots as it growing over
the path. At what time of year is best to do this and whereabouts on the plant
in relation to the "joints"? As you can tell, I'm no gardener :-) and don't want
to ruin the plant.
Thank you.

What I did in a similar situation with a clump-forming bamboo
(phyllostachys) was to dig it up, split it into several pieces and
replant one. I could also have cut through the roots and taken some of
the outside of the clump.
In that way you can make several plants as long as you leave at least
one full length cane on each piece.
If you do want only to prune, then don't cut half way up a cane, cut
them right off at ground level. It will not look right if you cut part
way up a cane.
Enjoy!

Pam in Bristol
Old 01-08-2005, 08:57 AM
Charlie Pridham

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
[...]

I think Bamboo looks all the better for a bit of thinning out and I take out
all the miss placed shoots at ground level, I also remove all the leaves
from the lower 4' or so to give clean culms. once plants are established its
OK to treat them quite harshly, indeed it won't be long before you have to!

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 01-08-2005, 05:01 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Charlie Pridham" writes:

| I think Bamboo looks all the better for a bit of thinning out and I take out
| all the miss placed shoots at ground level, I also remove all the leaves
| from the lower 4' or so to give clean culms. once plants are established its
| OK to treat them quite harshly, indeed it won't be long before you have to!

That is very much a western viewpoint! Most of them prefer plenty
of water and are a lot less vigorous in the east - even ignoring
the fact that quite a few don't like cold.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.