Old 02-08-2005, 07:04 PM

Default Tree Preservation Orders

I have a bit of land at the back of my house that was bought recently. It
has a few trees in it and I think the new landowner wants to cut them down.
Whats the score about tree preservation orders?

Pics at the link below, Myself & my neighbours really don't want to lose
these trees.

http://www.btinternet.com/~david.def...den/garden.htm

Thanks

Old 02-08-2005, 07:15 PM
Mike

Defoe wrote in message ...
I have a bit of land at the back of my house that was bought recently. It
has a few trees in it and I think the new landowner wants to cut them

down.
Whats the score about tree preservation orders?

Pics at the link below, Myself & my neighbours really don't want to lose
these trees.

http://www.btinternet.com/~david.def...den/garden.htm

Thanks

The Planning Office keeps the records for those. (Seaclose)

A TPO can be made on a single tree or on a group of trees. It depends what
and where the site is and what it was as to whether any TPOs are applied at
all. If it was an 'open area' for the benefit of the community, there might
be a 'blanket TPO' on all trees on the site, even down to the saplings which
have sprung up since the original TPO. On the other hand, there may be
special trees in there which have individual TPOs on them. Talk to planning
and ask for their TPO man to come and visit. If you hear a chain saw start
up, get onto Planning straight away.

Trees can only be felled outside the Bird nesting period, so if you know
that birds are still nesting, then that will stop any activity. The fellers
can be fined if they ignore this fact and recognised and approved tree
surgeons are responsible enough to know what they are doing.

By the way, you cannot object to the removal of trees because they hide a
horrible sight from you.

Hope that helps.

Mike

Old 02-08-2005, 07:19 PM
Mike

Defoe wrote in message ...
I have a bit of land at the back of my house that was bought recently. It
has a few trees in it and I think the new landowner wants to cut them

down.
Whats the score about tree preservation orders?

Pics at the link below, Myself & my neighbours really don't want to lose
these trees.

http://www.btinternet.com/~david.def...den/garden.htm

Thanks

In my previous response to this thread I quoted 'Seaclose'. My apologies I
thought I was in my local newsgroup. Nevertheless the rules still apply in
England.

Scotland and Wales, sorry I don't know.

Mike
On the Isle of Wight

Old 03-08-2005, 10:07 AM
Broadback

Defoe wrote:
I have a bit of land at the back of my house that was bought recently. It
has a few trees in it and I think the new landowner wants to cut them down.
Whats the score about tree preservation orders?

Pics at the link below, Myself & my neighbours really don't want to lose
these trees.

http://www.btinternet.com/~david.def...den/garden.htm

Thanks

Anyone can apply to the council for a tree preservation order to be
imposed. They then usually impose a short term order, then on
investigation decide if it should stay of be rescinded.
Be aware though that tree preservation orders are very restrictive. For
example if the tree canopy is over your property you have to apply to
the council for permission to do any work beneath that canopy, such as
erect a shed, or make a pond. Of course TPOs do not apply to the
council themselves, or rich developers, the latter simply ignore them
and pay the fines, they can afford them!
--
All replies to this email address are deleted on receipt.

Common sense, not common market.