Old 05-08-2005, 07:43 AM
Chris Hogg

Default 'strangled' conifers

In the last couple of years I've seen two conifers (at least one a
Leylandii) that had been tied to stakes with polythene rope when they
were comparatively small, and the rope never slackened, so that it cut
deep into the trunk as the tree grew.

But much to my surprise, on both occasions the trunk below the
strangle was considerably thinner than that above, roughly half as
thick I would say. Intuitively, I would have expected it to be the
other way around, as I would have thought the strangle would inhibit
the upward flow of sap, nutrients etc. to the trunk and branches
above.

What's the explanation?

--
Chris

Old 05-08-2005, 07:33 PM
Brian

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
In the last couple of years I've seen two conifers (at least one a
Leylandii) that had been tied to stakes with polythene rope when they
were comparatively small, and the rope never slackened, so that it cut
deep into the trunk as the tree grew.

But much to my surprise, on both occasions the trunk below the
strangle was considerably thinner than that above, roughly half as
thick I would say. Intuitively, I would have expected it to be the
other way around, as I would have thought the strangle would inhibit
the upward flow of sap, nutrients etc. to the trunk and branches
above.

What's the explanation?

--
Chris

____________-
This is totally as expected. The tie is stopping 'food' manufactured in
the leaves reaching below the constriction via the phloem [bark] whereas
water and minerals from the roots travels unhindered upwards, via the xylem
[wood] Hence the roots and parts below the tie are being starved and would
eventually die, killing the whole plant as they would lose the ability to
'send' water etc.upwards. However the cambium [forms phloem and xylem] has
the ability to grow sufficiently to bridge the gap and permit survival; if
the gap is not too great
..Best Wishes Brian.

Old 06-08-2005, 08:39 AM
Chris Hogg

On Fri, 5 Aug 2005 19:33:59 +0100, "Brian" ---
'flayb' to respond wrote:

This is totally as expected. The tie is stopping 'food' manufactured in
the leaves reaching below the constriction via the phloem [bark] whereas
water and minerals from the roots travels unhindered upwards, via the xylem
[wood] Hence the roots and parts below the tie are being starved and would
eventually die, killing the whole plant as they would lose the ability to
'send' water etc.upwards. However the cambium [forms phloem and xylem] has
the ability to grow sufficiently to bridge the gap and permit survival; if
the gap is not too great
.Best Wishes Brian.

Fascinating! Thanks for that, Brian.

--