Old 08-08-2005, 06:35 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "Lol" contains these words:

I have just discovered that the big area outside at the back is called a
garden - my wife has kept it secret from me until now - but having retired I
decided to explore beyond the conservatory door - I am amazed !!

Next week: LOL discovers the door to the kitchen and learns the names
of the many wondrous machines that live there!!!!!!!!!

:-)

Janet
Old 08-08-2005, 08:03 PM
BoyPete

Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message
from "Lol" contains these words:

I have just discovered that the big area outside at the back is
called a garden - my wife has kept it secret from me until now - but
having retired I decided to explore beyond the conservatory door - I
am amazed !!

Next week: LOL discovers the door to the kitchen and learns the names
of the many wondrous machines that live there!!!!!!!!!

:-)

Janet

Indeed............and having mastered them, wonders just what wife is for.
lol

Seriously, I lurk here a lot, and post a little. It's nice to find such a
friendly and helpful group.
--
ßôyþëtë

Old 08-08-2005, 09:24 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Lol wrote:

[ Rosemary ]

When you say it is easy and quick to regrow - is that from seed ?

Seed, layers or small plants bought in garden centres.

I quite like cooking, and one of the things I am going to read up on is
'herbs' - it would be nice to have my own grown source for Mint, Sage,
Coriander etc

A good idea. Most are dead easy, but some are tricky. Look at the
Edible Herb FAQ on rec.gardens.edible in addition to books. A good
rule of thumb is that there are three main types:

Ones that like sun and good drainage, such as thyme, rosemary etc.
Most will grow well in pots and are drought-resistant.

Ones that like cool and damp conditions, such as mint, chives etc.
Most are happy in shade and will tolerate waterlogging.

Ones that are tropical, such as basil, chillis, coriander etc.
Most will grow well in pots as annuals.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 08-08-2005, 09:50 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Lol" contains these words:

Unfortunately one of my earlier posts has disappeared - it explained that my
wife has no gardening ambitions beyond having a newly mown lawn to sunbathe
on, under well trimmed hedges that do not shade the sun and to smell sweet
fragrances (not normally associated with dandelions) - so have no concerns
for my safety :-)

The post turned up here.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 08-08-2005, 09:54 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Kay contains these words:

Mint is one of the exceptions that wants it a bit moister. Also parsley
and chives

Basil won't survive our winters, so you need to regrow it each year. Can
be done from seed, but easier to buy a supermarket tub, the sort which
is still growing, and split it.

I've got what amounts to a gro-bag full of watercress. It grows very
nicely in soil or peat, and while it like plenty of wetness, it will
tolerate ordinary growing conditions - but the cabbage white flutterbies
will lay their eggs on it.

Old 09-08-2005, 12:39 PM
Spider

Lol wrote in message

"Spider" wrote in message
-snip-

Welcome to the wonderful world of gardening, and to this group.

thank-you

As has been suggested, do talk to your wife ..

one does not talk to my wife - one listens intently (and interestedly) :-)

Your neighbour's plants may be more established .. more well fed ..

What should I feed them on please ?
(the plants, not the neighbours) :-0

Before digging or planting, ask your wife if she has bulbs (hidden
underground!!) in that area. This way you'll avoid damaging these

latent
plants, and marital bliss will be assured. Similarly, if your wife has
always ruled the garden, it would be considerate (*essential*) to

discuss
allocation of jobs, intended plantings and so on.
A lady friend of mine is always struck with terror when her husband goes
into the garden. Fortunately, she is not struck dumb .. he now knows

his
place!

Unfortunately one of my earlier posts has disappeared - it explained that

my
wife has no gardening ambitions beyond having a newly mown lawn to

sunbathe
on, under well trimmed hedges that do not shade the sun and to smell sweet
fragrances (not normally associated with dandelions) - so have no concerns
for my safety :-)

Oh yes .. do buy your own tools, especially hand tools, and make sure
they're comfortable and safe to use.

Spider

many thanks - :-)

Lol

Hi again, Lol

I did see your previous post which describes your wife's gardening
'ambitions'; it appeared after I posted, though. Most amusing.

There are various feeds for the garden:-
For the lawn, there is a spring feed and an autumn feed. The latter is
obviously the most appropriate just now. Feed in September.

For borders and pots, there are 3 different types of feed:-
Phosphate (bonemeal) promotes root growth. It is used mostly for trees and
shrubs at the planting stage. However, it can be scattered on the soil
surface and forked in gently to avoid damage to surface roots.
Nitrogen promotes stem and leaf growth. This can be used on most plants,
but sparingly. Use it in spring to promote growth. Do not apply after the
end of June, otherwise the new, sappy growth which follows application will
be killed by autumn frosts. (I say 'sparingly' because many inexperienced
gardeners overfeed with nitrogen, get lots of leafy growth, but no flowers.
This is because the plant is so happy with its lush leafy state that it
doesn't need to make flower - and ultimately, seed - to propagate itself).
Potash (Potassium) promotes flowering and, particularly relevant in crop
plants, subsequent fruits. It does this by ripening (and 'hardening' in
woody plants) stem growth. At this time of year it is the only feed you can
reasonably give your flowering border plants, since it will improve
flowering. At the same time, it will be ripening your plant material so
that it is better able to deal with the frosts.

There is also General Fertiliser; this is a compound containing all 3 of the
above. It is a good basic fertiliser. I personally tend to use a general
fertiliser in spring. As the season progresses and I see buds and flowers,
I use a high potash feed (tomato or rose fertiliser) to promote this growth.
By the end of June, after the first bout of flowering, I feed with potash
again to encourage flowering and ripening for the remainder of the season.

Another type of feed, Ericaceous, is specially for plants which need acid,
or ericaceous, soil. These include the Rhododendron tribe, Camellias,
Magnolias, Pieris, most heathers, Acers and many other plants.

Most important: *do not overfeed*. Overfeeding is counter-productive and
can kill sensitive plants. If you've ever put salt on the cut surface of a
cucumber and seen the sap drawn out (that resulting surface liquid), that is
exactly what you're doing to a plant when you overfeed. You are drawing out
its sap. Not a good idea.

This is, of course, a very rough guide. You need to learn more about the
plants you're growing, and what they need. Some plants only do really well
on poor soils, so feeding is very limited or non-existant. Also, you need
to learn the ph value of your soil; this will tell you whether it is acidic,
neutral or alkaline.

Hope this has been of some help.
Spider

Old 09-08-2005, 01:45 PM
Sue Begg

In message , Spider
writes
This is, of course, a very rough guide. You need to learn more about the
plants you're growing, and what they need. Some plants only do really well
on poor soils, so feeding is very limited or non-existant. Also, you need
to learn the ph value of your soil; this will tell you whether it is acidic,
neutral or alkaline.

On the other hand you can do as I did when learning - plant things that
you like - if they survive / thrive then try more of the same type /
family :-)

It can get as complicated as you allow it to (or want it to)

I tend to throw on pelleted general fertiliser (Growmore) early in the
year and some special plants get tomato feed later on. The lawn gets a
general weed'n'feed once a year and is cut twice a week.

When planted, things get watered for the first week or so but then they
take their chances, unless the weather is really extreme, doesn't happen
often where I live :-(

There is far more incentive to care for a garden if it contains plants
that you really like - rather than the ones that fashion dictates or are
deemed right for the area and conditions. Micro-climates within a garden
can sometimes make the most unlikely plants flourish.

Have fun - that is what it is all about
--
Sue
Remove the puppies to reply
Old 09-08-2005, 05:04 PM
pammyT

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
Have a look at the Hessayon guides which are a good start. Amazon has

them,
There are usually loads of them on ebay and very cheap too.

Old 09-08-2005, 06:47 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from Jaques d'Alltrades contains
these words:

Careful. He'll think dried herbs involves the tumble dryer......

What else do you use it for?

I haven't got one, 'cos I haven't got any tumbles to dry.

You mean, your tumbles are permanently soggy? That's not very nice.

Janet.
Old 10-08-2005, 11:01 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Janet Baraclough contains these words:
The message
from Jaques d'Alltrades contains
these words:

Careful. He'll think dried herbs involves the tumble dryer......

What else do you use it for?

I haven't got one, 'cos I haven't got any tumbles to dry.

You mean, your tumbles are permanently soggy? That's not very nice.

Read my l^H^H^fingers: "I haven't got any tumbles to dry." I am
tumble-less, bereft of tumbles, weak in the tumble-department,
unencumbered with tumbles, and I have stabilisers.