Old 10-08-2005, 06:45 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from Jaques d'Alltrades contains
these words:

The message
from Janet Baraclough contains these words:
The message
from Jaques d'Alltrades contains
these words:

Careful. He'll think dried herbs involves the tumble dryer......

What else do you use it for?

I haven't got one, 'cos I haven't got any tumbles to dry.

You mean, your tumbles are permanently soggy? That's not very nice.

Read my l^H^H^fingers: "I haven't got any tumbles to dry." I am
tumble-less, bereft of tumbles, weak in the tumble-department,
unencumbered with tumbles, and I have stabilisers.

Isn't that what they said about the Titanic?

Janet
Old 10-08-2005, 10:11 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Janet Baraclough contains these words:
The message
from Jaques d'Alltrades contains
these words:
The message
from Janet Baraclough contains these words:
The message
from Jaques d'Alltrades contains
these words:

Careful. He'll think dried herbs involves the tumble dryer......

What else do you use it for?

I haven't got one, 'cos I haven't got any tumbles to dry.

You mean, your tumbles are permanently soggy? That's not very nice.

Read my l^H^H^fingers: "I haven't got any tumbles to dry." I am
tumble-less, bereft of tumbles, weak in the tumble-department,
unencumbered with tumbles, and I have stabilisers.

Isn't that what they said about the Titanic?

Not AFAIK. I think they made some rather rash boasts though, and a
tumble drier just couldn't cope with reality.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 11-08-2005, 08:58 AM
Lol

Spider wrote - lots of very interesting and useful stuff ...
-snip-

Hope this has been of some help.
Spider

'of some help' hardly begins to describe it - many thanks ....

(and to all the posters who have provided some excellent tips)

It is clear that I really need to get to grips with understanding what I
have - and what I want to do with it. I had aleady decided that I needed to
do something (in a small way) to help me decide which plants needed a lot of
water and which needed much less. The geraniums seem very tolerant of all my
attempts to drown them - and I am beginning to think I was very lucky to
have started there - initial success is always encouraging. It is a very
daunting prospect at this stage .... I have already counted 15 trees and
shrubs along the left hand side of the garden - and that is just a matter of
about 30 foot !! Of these I can identify only 4 - Eucalyptus, Fuschia,
Honeysuckle (which seems to be popping out everywhere) and Bindweed
(ditto) - oh and the Wild Rose - of the rest there are some very interesting
ones - The lovely white flowers which cascaded in bowed arches earlier in
the summer - which my aunt said was Hawthorn, but I think not (although the
flowers are similar), and the maroon/purpled-leaved shrub which I am sure
was green until a month ago ? - and the one that looks like holly (but I
cannot find the shrub - just the leaves popping out here and there). That
lot will take some sorting out - but at this stage I am content with just
some gentle trimming.

On the other side I have a blank space where we took out a 15ft high
Leylandia (?) hedge - which now contains a very feeble looking Jasmine
(Stephanius) which I bought at a car boot sale recently - my attempts to
grow some cover for the bare fence lack a little imagination at this stage
:-) - whereas my neghbours vigourous plants are marauding over the top of
the fence and laughing at me. The suggestion that I ask her how she does it
is not an option - I am forbidden from talking to her - as my wife
disapproves of her penchant for wearing one-piece bathing costumes i.e. the
bottom half :-) (can't see owt wrong with it myself - should have got rid of
the Leylandia years ago ) :-)

Anyway - enough of my digression - many thanks for all the help - I will
keep you posted of my progress if you like.

Oh - and for those who missed it - my mystery plant was identified by an
earlier poster as .... (errr I forget the latin name - but it has the common
name of Chamelion Plant) - designing databases was easy compared with this -
maybe I should come out of retirement and create a plant database :-)

regards Lol

Old 11-08-2005, 09:12 AM
Lol

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
k...
[...]

Tumble Drier ? - heaven !! I dream of a tumble drier - as I sit by
candlelight listening to the gentle burbling of the copper boiler and the
rhythmic beat of our Alice scrubbing away with the rubbing board. I put down
the ponch and reach for my wooden tongs to scoop another garment into the
mangle and turn the handle with a customary strain - and dream of days when
there will be a tumble drier - two dishwashers (one for the clean and one
for the dirty) - a food processsor (which moves the food from freezer to
microwave in a single movement with defrost options) - and the ironing
machine (complete with coat hanger magazine - which transfers the shirts
from tumble-drier (hmmmm - I must stop sayiing that) to ironing board and on
to the wardrobe.

..... but I digresss - tell me again about kitchens Sascha ? :-)

lots of Love (Lol)

Old 11-08-2005, 10:38 AM
Sacha

On 11/8/05 9:12, in article
, "Lol"
wrote:

[...]

Not a chance - I know a heathen when I meet one! ;-)
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds for email)

Old 11-08-2005, 01:22 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message k
from Sacha contains these words:

On 11/8/05 9:12, in article
, "Lol"
wrote:

[...]

LOL should give Alice vitamin supplements asap, and consider oiling
her joints. If she ever wears out, it will be very difficult to find a
replacement model (especially from this newsgroup).

Janet

Old 11-08-2005, 05:38 PM
Kay

In article , Lol
writes

It is clear that I really need to get to grips with understanding what I
have - and what I want to do with it. I had aleady decided that I needed to
do something (in a small way) to help me decide which plants needed a lot of
water and which needed much less. The geraniums seem very tolerant of all my
attempts to drown them

Geraniums are in fact more tolerant than many plants of dry soil.
There's no need to water them while the soil is still moist.

On the other side I have a blank space where we took out a 15ft high
Leylandia (?) hedge

Lucky you! Space for new plants! :-)

Start a compost heap if you haven't already - it's ideal for improving
the soil, making it more moisture-retentive in the summer, and looser so
the weeds come out easily. If you already had a heap, it would be good
to spread it 6 inches deep n the leylandii area.
--
Kay