Old 09-08-2005, 04:55 PM
Sacha

Default White flowered rhododendron ID

Can anyone suggest the identity of a white flowered rhododendron that we saw
in a friend's garden in Jersey last week? It's very old and they don't know
the name of it. I'm afraid I can't tell you if it's fragrant because it's
up one helluva slope and we didn't feel like grappling our way up to it and
I forgot to ask!
As to flowering time, the CIs are usually reckoned to be 4 to 6 weeks ahead
of most of UK and they've been having some very warm weather lately.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 09-08-2005, 06:33 PM
Brian

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
Can anyone suggest the identity of a white flowered rhododendron that we

saw
in a friend's garden in Jersey last week? It's very old and they don't

know
the name of it. I'm afraid I can't tell you if it's fragrant because it's
up one helluva slope and we didn't feel like grappling our way up to it

and
I forgot to ask!
As to flowering time, the CIs are usually reckoned to be 4 to 6 weeks

ahead
of most of UK and they've been having some very warm weather lately.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(remove the weeds to email me)

_________________
Try R.Loders White. It's a genuine July/August bloomer and because of
its lateness does not seem to be earlier or later related to latitude. Is
quite fragrant.
Best Wishes Brian

Old 10-08-2005, 07:12 PM
Chris Hogg

On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 16:55:43 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

Can anyone suggest the identity of a white flowered rhododendron that we saw
in a friend's garden in Jersey last week? It's very old and they don't know
the name of it. I'm afraid I can't tell you if it's fragrant because it's
up one helluva slope and we didn't feel like grappling our way up to it and
I forgot to ask!
As to flowering time, the CIs are usually reckoned to be 4 to 6 weeks ahead
of most of UK and they've been having some very warm weather lately.

'Polar Bear' is pure white with a narrow green throat, late flowering
(the RHS Wisley Handbook says July-August) and fragrant. It's a cross
between R. diaprepes and R. auriculatum, made in 1926 by
J.B.Stevenson, RHS FCC 1946, so old and well regarded. Said to be
reasonably hardy.

--
Chris

Old 01-05-2006, 05:49 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacha
Can anyone suggest the identity of a white flowered rhododendron that we saw
in a friend's garden in Jersey last week? It's very old and they don't know
the name of it. I'm afraid I can't tell you if it's fragrant because it's
up one helluva slope and we didn't feel like grappling our way up to it and
I forgot to ask!
As to flowering time, the CIs are usually reckoned to be 4 to 6 weeks ahead
of most of UK and they've been having some very warm weather lately.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(remove the weeds to email me)
Can you tell whether the flowers are small / big / any other colours in the throat etc? Are the leaves big? My Rh Loders White has just started to bloom in the hills near Manchester. If the flowers are smaller it may be Cunninghams White. Shame you haven't got a photo. It must be a good looking plant.
Old 01-05-2006, 10:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

dlrodgers wrote:
Sacha Wrote:
[...]

Er, no. I'm afraid I can't recall the details. My original post was
made 9 months ago! As you've arrived here from Gardenbanter, you might
not know that but subscribing to urg through a proper newsreader would
ensure that your posts are read by everyone and are not completely out
of date.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk