Old 10-08-2005, 07:06 PM
mutley

Default Grapevine losing leaves

I have a 3y.o. outdoor grape vine, Chardonnay on a 3309 american rootstock.

It grew vigorously in Spring but then stopped, now many of its leaves are
turning yellow and a few at the base are dropping off. I would expect this
to happen in late September/October, but the other two outdoor vines I have
are still very green and they are 6-10 feet away from the Chard.

Any ideas?
--
Any help TIA
Please reply to Newsgroup

Old 11-08-2005, 08:58 AM
David Rance

In message ,
mutley writes

I have a 3y.o. outdoor grape vine, Chardonnay on a 3309 american rootstock.

It grew vigorously in Spring but then stopped, now many of its leaves are
turning yellow and a few at the base are dropping off. I would expect this
to happen in late September/October, but the other two outdoor vines I have
are still very green and they are 6-10 feet away from the Chard.

Any ideas?

Are the leaves a uniform yellow or are they blotchy and beginning to
look as though they are scorched?

If the former then it could be lack of water (though this isn't normally
a problem with an established vine) and/or lack of trace elements. Three
years old is barely established.

If the latter then you have a mildew problem.

David

| Internet: | writing from |
| Fidonet: David Rance 2:252/110 | Le Mesnil Villement, |
| BBS:
telnet://mesnil.demon.co.uk | Calvados, France |

Old 14-08-2005, 12:26 PM
mutley

Thanks for this
"David Rance" wrote in message
I have a 3y.o. outdoor grape vine, Chardonnay on a 3309 american

rootstock.

[snip]

Are the leaves a uniform yellow or are they blotchy and beginning to
look as though they are scorched?

They seem to go a uniform yellow, sometimes starting from one side of the
leaf. There's what looks like a few rust spots on some.

If the former then it could be lack of water (though this isn't normally
a problem with an established vine) and/or lack of trace elements. Three
years old is barely established.
If the latter then you have a mildew problem.

I've looked up the Oxford Encyclopaedia on Wine and I don't see any traces
of powdery or downy mildew as described there. There has been a lot of rain
this summer but the vine is against a garage wall and down through gravel
where there won't be much moisture. I'm hoping it's actually lacking trace
elements.

thanks for your help.

Old 14-08-2005, 07:19 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "mutley" contains these words:

I've looked up the Oxford Encyclopaedia on Wine and I don't see any traces
of powdery or downy mildew as described there. There has been a lot of rain
this summer but the vine is against a garage wall and down through gravel
where there won't be much moisture. I'm hoping it's actually lacking trace
elements.

Don't worry too much about water if the vine is established - it will
send roots to a considerable depth to find it.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/