Old 13-08-2005, 07:56 PM
Ron

Default Shade tolerating plants?

I would like to place container plants in areas of a courtyard which receive
no direct sunlight. I would prefer perrenials and am not unduly concerned
about the flowering properties of the plants, but would probably like light
coloured evergreens to brighten these shady areas, any flowering would be a
bonus.
Many thanks.

Old 13-08-2005, 10:29 PM
cineman

you could try starting here your search here
http://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/plant_groups/index.asp

regards
Cineman

Old 13-08-2005, 11:34 PM
Rosyposey

"Ron" wrote in message
I would like to place container plants in areas of a courtyard which
receive no direct sunlight. I would prefer perrenials and am not unduly
concerned about the flowering properties of the plants, but would probably
like light coloured evergreens to brighten these shady areas, any flowering
would be a bonus.
Many thanks.

For starters there are hostas, some fuschias, and I have a very successful
choisya ternata (orange blossom) 'Sundance' which has pale yellowy/lime
leaves, attractive fragrant white flowers and will tolerate full shade and a
fair bit of neglect quite frankly. That and the hostas will certainly add a
cheery spot to your courtyard to get it going. For spectacular colour,
plant some begonia tubers (too late in the year for this now) but don't
forget to dig up the tubers and store in a cool dry place when frosts
appear. Hope that helps to get you started.
Rosie

Old 13-08-2005, 11:40 PM
Sacha

On 13/8/05 19:56, in article
, "Ron"
wrote:

I would like to place container plants in areas of a courtyard which receive
no direct sunlight. I would prefer perrenials and am not unduly concerned
about the flowering properties of the plants, but would probably like light
coloured evergreens to brighten these shady areas, any flowering would be a
bonus.
Many thanks.

Where you live will affect the advice you get but what about Geranium
palmatum or Vincas?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 14-08-2005, 06:56 AM
Kay

In article , cineman
writes
you could try starting here your search here
http://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/plant_groups/index.asp

Also the urg FAQ 'plants for shade'

Old 14-08-2005, 09:08 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Ron" contains these words:

I would like to place container plants in areas of a courtyard which
receive
no direct sunlight. I would prefer perrenials and am not unduly concerned
about the flowering properties of the plants, but would probably like light
coloured evergreens to brighten these shady areas, any flowering would be a
bonus.

You could think about underplanting any shrubs with bulbs and hardy cyclamen.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/