Old 19-08-2005, 11:30 AM
Registered User

Location: Manchester
Default poorly hollyhock

when i was on holiday a few weeks ago my hollyhock which stands under the rain shadow of my old plum tree got very dehyrdrated and the leaves shrivelled up. Neighbour did promise to water garden, but as we had lots of rain she didnt feel it necessary, but having said that another day and half my clematis' in pots would have been beyond repair. they look ok, some have a bit of mildew, most disappointing thing is one purple semu last year flowered into november but now it may look ok but has no new flowers coming thru...oh well

Anyway have given the hollyhock lots of water but the leaves have shrivelled and died. The top 4 flower buds have also gone brown and won't flower, but the rest of the flowers underneath are still looking lovely.

Problem is i want it to come back next year, but unlike my other hollyhocks its doesn't have new leaves shooting from the roots. Was thinking of when flowers have faded, probably by end of next week of cutting the stalk down to 6" and feeding it with tomato feed in hope of encouraging newsoots to grow.

any advice on whether this seems sensible or alternative suggestions would be appreciated

i do have seeds from this plant last year but when i went on holiday in May same neighbour didn't water the seedlings and they died so have no replacements

Stubborn Hollyhock James Watt Gardening 3 28-08-2004 07:11 PM
Hollyhock Transplanting KJFK Gardening 3 27-06-2004 01:02 AM
Very tall hollyhock stuart noble United Kingdom 5 10-08-2003 11:13 AM
Very tall hollyhock stuart noble United Kingdom 0 04-08-2003 09:12 AM
Hollyhock`s Kate Morgan United Kingdom 3 29-06-2003 11:56 AM